Basset hound on a boat.

bigcol

Featured Posts

We've now got a new member of the family

A 9 week old basset hound we got just before Christmas

Looking for a life jacket for her.

Has anyone else on the forum got a basset ?or know a boat with one on?

Apparently not good swimmers, not the best choice of dog to have, but we love her so much

Tried to upload our new crew, but apparently I've reached my limit??

Col

Edited by bigcol

Basset Hounds are lovely but maybe not the most agile of 4 legged canines, hope you've had her knees checked as I have associated with several and they all had the knee joint problem...I still love them. It will probably struggle with getting on and off boat.

I reallly reallly want a leonburger when present dog RIP and I know they are really unsuitable for narrowboats but i so love their majestic splendour.

Apparently not good swimmers, not the best choice of dog to have, but we love her so much

Col

I may be mistaken, but I am recalling a boat called "The Basset Hound Carrying Co" or some such. I was talking to the people on this boat 2-3 years ago at the Etruria Festival and they were talking about getting BHs rehomed.

Fortunately I have a Jack Russell so I was able to decline their kind offer. :-)

George ex nb Alton retired

ps just googled images "narrowboat basset hound" and up popped "The Basset Hound Carrying Company".

Glad to see I am not going completely mad.

G

Edited by furnessvale

Col

Can you hang on for 24 hours as I think I've got a virtually unused one in a box under the stairs. If it's there you're welcome to it.

Frank

Can you hang on for 24 hours as I think I've got a virtually unused one in a box under the stairs. If it's there you're welcome to it.

Frank

Thanks Frank

What a basset hound

Or a life jacket??

This is the message I'm getting when uploading picture.( Error You have run out of space for uploads)

How do I delete old photos so I can put new one on of Matilda. Tilly for short

We're in our mid 50s, she brought new lease of life to our elderly giant Snazzier, who has a extra large life jacket already

but mess, carnage love and joy late nights, early mornings, and incontinence floor pads lol

Edited by bigcol

Col,

Been under the stairs, That's an experience I could have done without! Anyway found it together with more lifejackets than were on the Titanic. It's a.Crewsaver and although it hasn't got any recommended weight range stamped on it Bess was about the size of a small sheepdog. As i said earlier it's in good condition and it's only got one small storage mark on it.

If you PM me with an address I'll pop it in the post.

Frank

• Greenie 1

Bassett Hounds are great dogs. If she is like any Bassett I have known she will be happy being were ever you are although if she takes a dislike to boating there won't be much you can do about it!

There will be a need for assistance getting on and off the boat they are no great leapers of gaps or climbing over things.

She will be a great pal to go boating with I am sure.

Thank you for the tips, and yes it's exciting having her on board.

Funny thing it's done the world of good for our 13 year old G Snazzier

Both full of beans and our snazziers enjoying playing Mum.

Big thank you to Slim, for Maltildas first present

Col

Basset Hounds are lovely but maybe not the most agile of 4 legged canines, hope you've had her knees checked as I have associated with several and they all had the knee joint problem...I still love them. It will probably struggle with getting on and off boat.

I reallly reallly want a leonburger when present dog RIP and I know they are really unsuitable for narrowboats but i so love their majestic splendour.

Ours is agile and has no problems jumping on and off the boat (except when she's on the lead, and it tightens, and there's a big gap between boat and bank...) but I think ours is exceptionally slender/fit compared to the norm. We deliberately sought out a fit one, and found a good breeder and were able to see/play with both mum and dad. They say, the young basset has an underdeveloped skeleton compared with what they think they're capable of, so things like stairs and jumping up and down from furniture should be discouraged etc. But basically its impossible to police!

Things to watch specific to breed? The eyes can suffer, due to the saggy skin allowing the bottom lids to droop and be a site of infection. Our dog's eyes don't droop though. Legs, as mentioned before. But the main one we've had issue with is the ears. Our vet describes them as "pendulous", and they can trap stale air/moisture and lead to ear infections. So a good (twice weekly) deep cleaning routine is well advised. Guess what - our dog doesn't like having her ears cleaned! The other breed-specific thing worth mentioning is you have to be strict with the training, they are somewhat stubborn and can lead to disobedience. And they're food driven too, ours will beg for food and also try to steal anything eg crisps, sweets, drinks etc etc so these must be placed at high level. Ours can jump about 4 foot into the air too - we've been told a Basset shouldn't be able to do this - ours can.

I knew a couple in Boston who bred Bassett Hounds and used to take them for exercise in a Volvo estate, he had a ramp made so they could walk up. When he opened the kennel's door they would pile out and be all over you like a rash, he would give the command "Form a queue ladies" and they would all go to the car and do as requested, going up one at a time. Cracking dogs.

Phil

Bassett Hounds are great dogs. If she is like any Bassett I have known she will be happy being were ever you are although if she takes a dislike to boating there won't be much you can do about it!

There will be a need for assistance getting on and off the boat they are no great leapers of gaps or climbing over things.

She will be a great pal to go boating with I am sure.

My stepdaughters basset is clearly an oddball

He can leap a 4 foot gate with ease and loves a swim.

They are large dogs, but he is no trouble on a tiny boat

I often watch a guy with a Bassett Hound on the towparth. The dog is amazingly obstinate. It tends to walk back and forth along a short section of towpath whilst it's owner calls it to come to him from some distance away.

It always ends with the owner stomping back to it and both walking the opposite way along the towpath- the way the dog always wants to go!

I do apologise, I do realise that this is a boat forum

Thank you for the comments all noted

Funny thing, we've had dogs for many years.

Now we're seem to be on a different playing field.

Dogs that find it hard up and down stairs

Our pup has got use to the stairs just yesterday theres only 2 sets of 3, but seems to be happy with these hopefully accomplished

But re book reading worried that we should not let this happen, but as Paul C said difficult to police.

The ears, lol. Water and food bowls, we've had to order different type, (incredibowl)as ears kept going in the water and food. Sorted

Unfornatley we let her join our magie on the bed when 6 weeks, now we're stuffed,now thinking about a step as she does try getting on herself, and try's to jump of, we've made a rod for our own back.

Paul C

Question. Do Bassets,your basset run away?, we will always use a lead, but now getting really worried, do they just run of?

Do they stop for you to catch them? Weve had dogs, but never had one want to bolt?, or is it that every basset is different.

We've really got in in our minds from book reading,that as soon as of lead, their gone as in gone, don't they realise what side their bread is buttered.?

We bought a Dog crate for when we have to go out, tried it twice while we're here, screams like a banshee,

We have got Maggie here for company, but bought and tried just twice, do we persevere, or give up on that.?

Are they a good idea?

Dog lessons booked

Slims donated a life jacket

Treats in pocket lol

Col

Edited by bigcol

Recall should be the first thing to be taught, ours is 95% okay on recall and for this reason, most of the time on walks she is on a lead. We regularly go to the woods, she'll tend to explore, sniffing and possibly rolling in fox poo etc and if she sees a squirrel will chase it. So, she nowadays goes on a lead. She's better in open spaces and "less interesting" (for dogs) areas, and I'll often let her off but will constantly test the recall (and reward with treats most of the time, still) and if there's something interesting for a dog, which is undesirable; or she's ignoring the recall, she'll go back on the lead. I've still got the dog, ergo she's never ran away uncatchable but sometimes its just inconvenient ie wastes time and will go muddy/wet places. Most of the "ignoring recall" is because she'll be sniffing at something, so not really actively running. The only exception is if she picks up a scent trail - very active then.

Regarding life jackets, ours has one but pragmatically she's never been in from the boat; only into the canal from bankside. So perhaps all these dogs you see off lead on canal towpaths should have a life jacket? In summertime we'll not make her wear it except for rivers. She has been in 8 times now, 2 of those were actively jumping in (to swim after the boat) and the other 6 were all slips at the bankside which resulted in her being on for only a few seconds. I guess the scenario you'd need a lifejacket is if she fell in off the boat mid-channel or in an open area eg large river etc. but she's simply not done that, and too sensible to do it.

When we measured her for lifejacket she was medium for waist but XL for length, so we took her and tried a few. The straps around the waist have a lot of adjustment so we found one that fitted okay.

With regard to the dog crate Col. I taught my Riko to use his and now he loves being in it wherever he is, often choosing to go in by himself. He sleeps in it too.

I covered Riko's with a dark covered duvet and put a big cushion in it so it is super comfy and dark and warm. The only bit that lets light in is the entrance. Everything else is completely covered. It think it appeals to his instincts by being like a proper lair.

The other things I did are to give him his favourite toys inside the cage, give him his chewy treats inside the cage, and praise him up when he gets in and stays.

Its all about helping him to associate being in the cage as a good place to be rather than being isolated.

Perhaps you could encourage her to be in the cage while you stay around, perhaps with the door closed when she begins to get the hang of it. Then when she's happy to be in it, you can begin to leave her for a short while at the beginning.

The thing to be wary of is that if she learns that by crying you come back to her - then she has learned a way to control you. There is a school of thought that says that separation anxiety is a learned behaviour that enables the dog to make you do what it wants. You might have to harden your heart.

Riko had that very badly but the other day he actually went to sleep in the car when we went shopping - that was a huge breakthrough in defeating his separation anxiety

Hi Paul

Thanks for that, it's put our minds at rest, really has

We're having made low level canvas panels for our 2 doorways, just in case somone opens the door etc, and she slips out.

Haven't seen a basset run, but in my mind there were of like a grey hound lol

Last question. We've never never used a crate, it's quite big, and was advised to buy one, and get her use to being inside, for when we rarely go out for a hospital appt etc, but she's not having it.

Paul Have you ever had to use something like this when she was a puppy?

Or complete waste of time and money.

Ps just seen Bazzas post which may get us to give the grate another chance, a mother week just for short periods, our ears and hearts won't let us do long times

Many thanks

Col

Edited by bigcol

The thing to be wary of is that if she learns that by crying you come back to her - then she has learned a way to control you. There is a school of thought that says that separation anxiety is a learned behaviour that enables the dog to make you do what it wants. You might have to harden your heart.

Riko had that very badly but the other day he actually went to sleep in the car when we went shopping - that was a huge breakthrough in defeating his separation anxiety

We need to be stronger, we've failed lol

We've done exactly what you've sugested, but we've given in to her crys and this morning her first Bay!,

We just bought one of those, puppy kong with the squeezey stuff aerosol

Good idea!! We try that!! Just for when she's in the crate!

How can a 10 week old puppy be the boss

Matilda's getting most of our food budget!!! Lol lol

Thanks all, well appreciated

Col

Edited by bigcol