Generator runs for 2 hours then stops......why?

swift1894

Featured Posts

Only a two hour running capacity fuel tank ?

smile.png

Nick

If its fed from a dip tube into the top of the tank, perhaps that is too short or has a fracture at a point below which fuel can not be drawn out. I would imagine though it is a bottom outlet and this is not the case...

Is the 2 hour run time repeatable?

IE start from cold, runs 2 hours, stops, restarted immediately (say sub 10 mins) & runs for 2 hours & then stops.

Or is it that it runs 2 hours from cold then stops & wont restart till cooled down for a period of time?

Why can't we all share the information. After all you have asked the forum for answers.

Mike PM'd me because I helped him solve an issue on his Mastervolt 6000 genny some time ago. I had one but the Lombardini engined version which it turns out is substantially different to his Mitsubishi engined version in the control department.

FWIW this was my reply echo'd by some of the other posts;

Hi Mike

My Lombardini engined genny only had one remote control panel and that was the only place you could control it from. Sounds like yours is substantailly different so I may not be of much help.

Certainly cleaning oily ares with switch solvent may help. If it starts from the second remote location there can't be much wrong. In your main forum post the issue was it cutting out after two hours. Is this a second issue?

I have to admit some sort of fuel starvation would be my first thought as suggested by others. Second is that the shutdown is deliberate due to some monitored parameter suggesting a fault condition exists. Low oil pressure, high coolant temp, overload etc. There should be an indication on the panel in this case though. If it is overheating, check the heat exchanger tube nest. I think its regular cleaning is mentioned in the manual.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Seems he now has a battery and/or fuel pump issue.

A desperate explanation:

Does it have an oil sensor which cuts it after a temp is reached that has thinned the oil to a suspect level?

Test this thought by checking oil level (and suitable type of oil).

I've had that with honda suitcase gennies but much quicker than 2 hours :unsure:

In my case the oil was old and new oil sorted it but it was an EX650 petrol suitcase so not really similar to the op unit

Why can't we all share the information. After all you have asked the forum for answers.

To be honest I get a bit brassed off with some of the childish comments people come up with so I thought I'd PM by'eck as he has helped me before with SENSIBLE suggestions.

Thanks also to Nikhix , RLWP for helpful suggestions which I checked out and eliminated as possible causes.

What is the generator powering during the two hours it runs for? Is there a high load which occurs at a certain time in a cycle eg a combined washer drier switching from wash to dry :unsure:

There isn.t some sort of automatic shutdown timer in there or something? Is it always 2 hours, exactly?

Edited by magnetman

When asking for advise it is a good idea to tell the brand of the equipment and how it does work or not work, that eliminate a lot of follow up questions and silliness.

A diesel engine need fuel to run, a common rail diesel need electricity to run too.

if it is more or less always 2 hours, it sounds like a timer that shut it off.

gen set also can have protection from over heat, and low oil pressure, if it over heat it will shut off, or if to warm the oil pressure can be to low, (not likely)

it can also be a fault in one of the probes or in the control panel when it get warm.

or a over voltage protection.

What happens when it shut off,? it stop all of a sudden or slowly lose rpm?

if you try to restart it immediately after it stop will it run? if not, disconnect one probe and try again, if still not run reconnect that one and go to next.

Edited by Dalslandia

To be honest I get a bit brassed off with some of the childish comments people come up with so I thought I'd PM by'eck as he has helped me before with SENSIBLE suggestions.

Thanks also to Nikhix , RLWP for helpful suggestions which I checked out and eliminated as possible causes.

The thing is lots of folk do not make stupid comments and are genuinly interested in learning.

So just ignore the silly comments and let us benifit from the good guys that help solve your problem.