Living alone on a boat

Jen_P

Featured Posts

Was that down to prior testing and careful key-load-balancing?

Or pure luck?

MtB

You can't really test them as they only work the once! The flashing light was useful to locate it as it was after dark. I have a number of keys on it (more than a cork could hold)

Edited by Robbo

we passed a bunch of folk once, all stood at the stern...one lady holding a stick...which had a torch fastened to the end....sealed in a plastic bag.....being held under the water, while another had some viewing contraption they could push onto the water to be able to see underwater (home made)....

they had dropped someone's mobile phone overboard and were frantically trying to find it

I am under no illusion that my cork ball would float my keys (too many on the ring), but I once heard that it could aid retrieval with a keb from the bottom of the cut.

I've not tested that and hope not to have to. I attach my keys to my trousers with a karabiner instead smile.png

Do your trousers float then?

There was one occasion when I have dropped my (corked) keys on dry land, and though the buoyancy of the cork had no bearing on this situation, it's size enabled me to easily locate them in some pretty violent undergrowth.

Triffids ???

• Greenie 1

we passed a bunch of folk once, all stood at the stern...one lady holding a stick...which had a torch fastened to the end....sealed in a plastic bag.....being held under the water, while another had some viewing contraption they could push onto the water to be able to see underwater (home made)....

they had dropped someone's mobile phone overboard and were frantically trying to find it

Why didn't they ring it? ;)

Holidaymakers.

Rare to see a proper boater with a giant float on their keyring.

MtB

Oh, Dear!

We are not proper boaters. We even have double corks on the handcuff keys.

N

We got 2 sets of keys with the boat this year when we bought it. One set had one cork ball, the other (pare) set had none. We bought 2 balls for the spare set, and then one new one for the usual set as the original ball was a bit black from years of everyone else's finger grease soaked into it, yuk!

What's wrong with cork balls? Drop keys in water, they'll float and you can get them back.

Oh... it's the "real boater" cobblers - flat cap and long raincoat types?

I have taped string onto tools that I might be using when wending my way round the gunnels (that's real boater's speak for gunwhales, btw). If they fall out of my hand, the other end has been tied round my belt.

I'd rather have cork balls attached to my key ring than a fob that advertises Mercedes or BMW or Audi.

Do real boaters walk the gunnels?

There is an automatic key float in Midland Swindlers that has a 12ft cord attached to the balloon.

However back on topic I was asked last year how I deal with being lonely on the boat and the answer is very simple, I never am why should I be?. I am often alone but that is not then same as being lonely. The assumption of the OP seemed to be that being lonely was a given. It most certainly is not!

You have to be happy with yourself so that you can happily spend time with you, but for the times when company is 'needed' there are pubs, libraries, etc. It you are not happy with who you are boating mighty still be a better option than bricks.

If you are retired it is important to have a plan. The human psyche needs a measure of organisation. A reason to get out of bed in the morning. Art, Cafts, Writing, Music. Something to sell works well. Don't just assume that because you are retired the relaxed life will be the answer to working. it rarely is. Every one needs a focus or it can mess with your head. Learn plumbing or electrics, something useful to other boaters. You'll be surprised how many friends you have when the word gets round. :)