Living alone on a boat

Jen_P

Featured Posts

I believe a cork ball is supposed to be able to float three Yale-type keys?

Like EF above, I'll experiment with a bucket or somesuch when I get the chance.

The problem with a bucket is that they are buoyant when upright and will keep your keys safe but as soon as they tip over they will fill with water and sink alongside everything attached to them.

They also look really daft hanging out of your trouser pocket.

• Greenie 1

Holidaymakers.

Rare to see a proper boater with a giant float on their keyring.

MtB

I must admit when I dropped my keys - boat key, house key, garage key, car key, van key,- in the canal some years ago I felt a proper something, but it wasn't boater.

I'm not ashamed to use a cork ball but now MtB has sown this seed of doubt I'm off to test its buoyancy.

I am under no illusion that my cork ball would float my keys (too many on the ring), but I once heard that it could aid retrieval with a keb from the bottom of the cut.

I've not tested that and hope not to have to. I attach my keys to my trousers with a karabiner instead :)

I must admit when I dropped my keys - boat key, house key, garage key, car key, van key,- in the canal some years ago I felt a proper something, but it wasn't boater.

I'm not ashamed to use a cork ball but now MtB has sown this seed of doubt I'm off to test its buoyancy.

When I did this back in 1978 after having my cork ball laughed at by a real boater, I was shocked to find it would only float with up to about three small keys on the ring. I abandoned it then and took to secretly smirking at other cork ball owners instead :D

There was for a while, a key ring float that automatically inflates like a life jacket. My parents-in-law bought me one for Christmas many years ago but I never had any confidence it work work when really needed, so instead I take care not to drop my keys in the cut. It's the best way!

MtB

P.S. Works with phones too!

There was for a while, a key ring float that automatically inflates like a life jacket. My parents-in-law bought me one for Christmas many years ago but I never had any confidence it work work when really needed, so instead I take care not to drop my keys in the cut. It's the best way!

Was it this? http://www.water-buoy.com/ They can lift upto 1Kg and have a flashing led so can easily be spotted when dark. I think you can get them from Blacks.

This is called a lanyard. I have several different types of tool lanyard, the retractable type (like you get for lift passes when skiing) a rather clever coiled spring type (like a slightly smaller version of a telephone cord), rated to 50kg! And of course several of the string variety... Having spent many years working on a sea going Thames Sailing Barge, they have definitely saved my tools a fair few times!

Buckets are for wimps! Drop them in the cut and think sharp...

We use lanyards for our keys now, with a clip that lets you detach the bunch from the lanyard when using.

I know of a fellow owner who, having just bought a BWB key and added it to his boat bunch wondered if the cork would still keep them afloat. Being an engineer, he tested it immediately by dropping them in the cut. Sure enough, they sank.

Back into the chandlers: "Can you sell me a magnet?"

Would a proper boater I mean a working boater have had a door lock on his boat . Did horses need keys in them days they seem to be automatic now.

Any way back to living alone on a boat I do think that TVs need to be more interactive these one sided conversations I have are getting boring.argue.gif

We only keep our Waterways key and a couple of mooring padlock keys on a cork float. They have gone in twice off the front of the moving boat (you can't get the staff these days!), approaching swing bridges, I just scooped them up as they passed the back of the boat.

All other keys stay safe in the Mk1 trouser pocket.

I'll happily endure the scorn of "real" boaters and keep the cork, but it does look a bit new & clean though, I'll have to get some engine oil on it.

Oh nuts - mine's only got the hatch key on it so I already knew it floated (why would you need to take a massive bunch to the pub anyway?). I wonder if it still floats whilst it's smouldering, having been thrown in the stove so I can pretend I'm a proper boater? Maybe I can get it to smoke orange?

"Are you pleased to see me, or do you have your boat keys in your pocket?"

ps - Save the Gunwhales!

"Stuff the whales, SAVE THE PLANKTON", we used to shout on the way back from the pub yonks ago back at Tangier Marine in Eton...

Mr Cereal Tiller will confirm... :D

MtB

Have to say that MtB used a cork ball keyring when he had his Beta BD3 Tug engine. Maybe he wasn't a "proper boater" with that motor?laugh.png

Are you the fool who bought it from me, by any chance??!!

My excuse is the ball was on the keys supplied when I bought the bote.... :D

MtB