mykaskin

Featured Posts

What its like to own a historic boat, and load it well...

In case you're wondering, I've find it better to go hell for leather into bridges, and get the silt and leaves really swilling around than take it slow and just come to grinding halt anyway!

I know that moment so well when you find the boat running out of water.

Do you knock the engine out of gear and hope the stern end will come up sufficiently for you to drift over the obstruction or do you wind it up full pelt and hope your engine will carry you through? I usually try the latter but have misjudged things badly on occasions.

It think its two discontinuous sections, but the first footage is the north end of the t&m by northwich.

Soooo cut the corner going into the white bridge at 3.20 mike..... tongue.png

Daniel

That's Soot Hill bridge, the last bridge before the Lift. There's what seems to be a gravel bar across the canal two or three metres out from the actual bridge hole, with about 3' 3" over it all the way across, possibly not cleaned out properly after a repair??, plus leaves and other debris seems to collect there. There's no channel on the outside of the bend, but I was a bit surprised at the line Mike took.

The first bridge in the video is the one just before Saltersford tunnel, Hole House Lane, that spot is always full of leaves plus the canal immediately on the North side of the bridge is not very deep anyway.

Tim

Great video. Please will you do the Peak Forest between Marple & Ashton? A video on there would have to be certified "over 18" to cover the numerous expletives on the journey- I would be more than happy to contribute to the audio channel as well as improving the almost non-existant centre channelbiggrin.png

Bill

There's no channel on the outside of the bend, but I was a bit surprised at the line Mike took.

In Mike's defence. I have tried filming while steering and it is so easy to wander a bit off line.

As we all know, even a "bit" off line when loaded will soon convert into a major problem.

George ex nb Alton retired

In case you're wondering, I've find it better to go hell for leather into bridges, and get the silt and leaves really swilling around than take it slow and just come to grinding halt anyway!

I would generally go into the bridgehole really hard and knock the revs right back when about 1/3 in. The little power wave behind then catches up with the stern, lifts it and throws the boat through (mostly unsure.png ). With a butty you can really see the effect; if you slow down before the brigehole the line drops into the water as the butty catches up, but "riding the surf wave" as I describe the line generally stays taut. (unless there is serious crep in there)

Tam

In Mike's defence. I have tried filming while steering and it is so easy to wander a bit off line.

Oh indeed, and the comment was fully tongue in cheek. Never had an issue on said bridge, but at 2ft8 I expect we have a fair bit less in the water.

Daniel

The odd line was to, a) follow the deep water where the pleasureboats and hireboats go, and B) I only just got through on the towpath side of the bridge 'ole so headed for that bit again!

Will have to head up the Macc sometime loaded, been up unloaded, was amusing to say the least.