Being careful.

FidoDido

Featured Posts

Never put more than two keys on a cork ball key ring it will sink.

Never stand on the front deck looking backwards you never know what is going to hit you on the back of the head.

Never get between the boat when it is moving and a hard place.

Never leave a windlass attached to the paddle gear

I don't wish to be picky after you've taken a bit of a hit over Point 1 but, whilst Point 3 is good advice, don't get between your boat and a hard place when it isn't moving either..... it just might start moving and you ain't gonna be much of a fender. excl.png

I don't wish to be picky after you've taken a bit of a hit over Point 1 ...

If we all said "I agree with you" it would be a dull forum to visit. Three out of four without a starting a war is, I think, is pretty good going biggrin.png

In fact I might post some more whilst I am ahead on points.laugh.png

Don't travel with fenders on the side of your boat

Close front doors when going up through locks

Agree a horn signal for emergencies with the crew before tackling locks.

Never pass a pub that is open.

Don't travel with fenders on the side of your boat

That's mainly a narrowboat thing. I've been traveling with my fenders down for many years and never had a problem. When I was moored on the Thames I'd say 90% of boats of all types (plastic and steel cruisers, Dutch barges, etc), came past with their fenders down.

beat me to it, but mine is blue.

it's surprisingly elastic, innit. blush.png

Ours isn't. Its designed so that it pulls the cables out of the plug. Not sure of the maker but its a good cable and plug design. I have lost count of the number of times we have had to rewire it rolleyes.gif

That's mainly a narrowboat thing. I've been traveling with my fenders down for many years and never had a problem. When I was moored on the Thames I'd say 90% of boats of all types (plastic and steel cruisers, Dutch barges, etc), came past with their fenders down.

got fed up with fenders hanging down and replaced them with a kabelaring of 2" synthetic hemp around my launch style GRP cruiser. Looks a treat, does the business and doesn't hang up on pilings.

Travelling with big plastic fenders hanging is naff, only suited to harbour tugs and day hire boats. Cylindrical rope fenders are OK as long as they don't drag in the water.

I've never had an engine yet that once I know the oil level it has magically gone up!!! I check it to make sure it hasn't gone down.

The H series of Listers suffered from diesel getting into the sump so it became habit to check oil after shutting down and before starting, the one time it happened the oil pressure suddenly dropped (gauge on roof) and exhaust smelt diesel so quick stop.Still check oil every morning and turn greasers just automatic really.

never had weed hatch so no danger of not fixing it back down properly this should be no8

David

Lister SR series can also do this. Usually attributed to a defect in the diesel injector pump.

It thins out the oil reducing lubrication thus increasing engine wear, and the added risk of engine run-away (I never heard of crank case explosions on engines this size)

I also add. If you top up oil to the mark when engine is cold it will be above the mark when hot.

Edited by Radiomariner

If she eats a lot of chips, get her to do like smokers do. Sellotape a crisp to her upper arm when she goes to bed. It reduces the craving for chips when she wakes up!

Genius! I have a friend who is addicted to cream cakes - does your treatment work for those too?

Richard

got fed up with fenders hanging down and replaced them with a kabelaring of 2" synthetic hemp around my launch style GRP cruiser. Looks a treat, does the business and doesn't hang up on pilings.

Travelling with big plastic fenders hanging is naff, only suited to harbour tugs and day hire boats. Cylindrical rope fenders are OK as long as they don't drag in the water.

I have cylindrical rubber fenders which do hang in the water. What's the issue with that exactly? I've never had a problem in the 10 years I've had the boat and never got hung up because it's a widebeam and I can't use narrow locks anyway. As I said, it's mainly a narrowboat thing.

^^^^^^ brave man if you say that!! ^^^^^

But an honest man...