Thank god for smoke alarms

AKULA

Featured Posts

I thought Sterling chargers were supposed to be worth spending the extra money on? I have a Sterling charger but now I'm wondering if I should have bought a cheap Chinese one off of ebay.

I had a cheaper one set on fire last month luckily I noticed it very quickly.

Today I was asleep and a 60 amp sterling charger decided to burn out I was woken by smoke alarm and chocking couldn't see a thing.

Smoke alarms I have 2. Money well spent

Quite so. Well worth the small investment to have them and glad to hear you are safe.

fire on a narrowboat sounds terrifying sad.png Ive seen some burnt out shells for sale on boatwrecks.com very sad sad.png . Glad youre safe! ( smoke alarms just gone on my purchase when aquire boat list wacko.png )

And get some CO (Carbon Monoxide) alarms while you are at it, we regularly hear of deaths on boats caused by CO.

"Sterling chargers are cheap & Chinese!"

Yes, another Quality Product from China.

Another 5-Minute Wonder. They're laughing all the way to their Swiss bank accounts...

Most of the Sterling kit is designed to a budget not a specification. If you search the web you will find the exact same product direct from the manufacturer at a lower price.

Whilst no product from any manufacturer is 100% fault free in 100% of products I'm afraid I don't rate any of Mr Sterlings products.

Cheers

Gareth

It's worth looking to see if the Fire Brigade are doing a 'thing' somewhere. At my local Asda they were there in the car park with a stand giving out fire safety tips... & cheeky sod that I am I asked if they had any free smoke alrams. I was given 2 free smoke alarms that cost £15 each from B&Q & only get a 2 star rating**, supposed to last 10 years.
They also gave me a free CO detector that costs £13 from B&Q, they would have given me 2 but they only had 1 left.

** for what it's worth I bought a blow torch from B&Q that only got a 1 star rating & so far it has worked perfectly every time, I've had none of the problems peeps were complaining about.

This has got me thinking. Would it be a good idea to fit a smoke alarm just above the charger in addition to one in the boat?

Yes, in a word. I have an optical alarm strategically positioned half way down the boat and an ionising alarm in line with the ventilation slots on the electric cupboard door. 3 am this morning, the latter started cheeping every 40 sec as its battery was cold and tired.

Still worth it for just the reason the OP has discovered.

Oh, and I have two CO alarms, one in the engine room and one about halfway between the Squirrel in the saloon and the cooker in the galley.

Yes the optical ones not the ionisation ones.

Just this morning, the stove did not want to 'go' and the cabin started to fill with smoke when the stove door was open.

Strange but thought nothing of it.

but then the CO alarm which has sat quietly for the last 5 years went off.

OK side doors opened pretty dam quick, checked all round stove. no apparent leeks, yes I know CO is invisible.

So I swept the chimney, no apparent problems but now fires is working as normal.

Am a fanatic about sweeping the chimney but it may well have been restricted a little.

Note: CO alarms have a change by date, mine is due in February next year.

Today I was asleep and a 60 amp sterling charger decided to burn out I was woken by smoke alarm and chocking couldn't see a thing.

Smoke alarms I have 2. Money well spent

You should report the incident. Try sending details to the BSS. Far too many incidents like this go unreported. Once reported you may get a load of 'bothersome' questions but it's worth the hassle because in the end, it may save somebody's life.

Edited to add; Even if the cause of the fire is something stupid you did yourself, (Like over-rated fuse) still report it there is a need to know.

(Even the most intelligent of us have brilliant flashes of stupidity!)

Edited by Radiomariner

No load it was fully charged I've opened it up none of its owne fuses blown the thing is a rite off I've installed several it's nearly 18 months old . And rubbish from now on I'll be fitting ctek m300 I'll post pics tomorrow of the sterling interior I'm speaking to Charles at sterling tomoz all gear I've used on all boats has bin sterling to all customers to say I'm worried is an understatement I'm glad in a way it was my owne boat