Steel Jerry Cans - Not Legal?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

I filled my 5l and 10l steel jerry cans with unleaded petrol at a local BP petrol station this evening - as usual.

When I went to pay, the cashier told me that my steel jerry cans were no longer legal for either petrol or diel. He said that, if he hadn't been busy, he would have stopped me filling them. I asked what was now legal, and he pointed to the crappy plastic containers that they happened to sell, and that I eschewed in favour of proper metal jerry cans a few years ago.

Is he correct, and should I no longer be using my expensive metal jerry cans? :(

From this weeks guest publication, www.jerrycans.co.uk ...

How many containers can I fill at a petrol station?

Petrol filling stations may have their own internal policy on the types and numbers of containers they are prepared to fill - frequently one or two 5 litre plastic and/or one or two 10 litre metal. This is a decision made by the filling station operator and is not a legal requirement.

Petrol filling stations usually have to abide by a licence condition to allow only 'suitable' containers to be filled. This is usually interpreted as metal containers up to a maximum size of 23 litres or plastic containers up to a maximum size of 5 litres. A licence condition has the same effect as a legal requirement. The licence condition does not limit how many containers one customer may fill.

Are there any restictions on the transport of petrol?

The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2004 (CDG), as amended by The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment (Amendment) Regulations 2005 require that petrol should be carried in UN approved containers (called Packages), which are properly stowed on the vehicle.

The packages should be marked with the "flammable" diamond and with the UN number for petrol (UN 1203). Up to 333 litres may be carried as a "small load" which means that only general training needs to be given to the driver and that the vehicle only needs to carry a 1- 2kg fire extinguisher. These regulations do not affect purely private carriage.

When diesel was 40p/litre in France a few years back I contacted the Traffic Police about carrying in the estate car (also full), six jerry cans wedged across the back, so with approx 200 litres of diesel, potentially... They went away and came back after checking and said as long as the containers were intended for fuel ( Jerry Cans, so "yes") and a suitable fire extinguisher was carried, that is all the regs required...... Not sure I would have done it with petrol though.

The savings on the fuel alone ( approx £50) much more than paid for the out of season return ferry fare at the time, not to mention savings on other stuff (engine oil was one of the significantly less expensive things at the time) - Amazingly, I ran the diesel car at the time for approx 4 years with only ever two fill-ups with UK fuel...

I have never been challenged filling jerry cans up at the filling stations in the UK and still do...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

How many containers can I fill at a petrol station?

Petrol filling stations may have their own internal policy on the types and numbers of containers they are prepared to fill - frequently one or two 5 litre plastic and/or one or two 10 litre metal. This is a decision made by the filling station operator and is not a legal requirement.

Petrol filling stations usually have to abide by a licence condition to allow only 'suitable' containers to be filled. This is usually interpreted as metal containers up to a maximum size of 23 litres or plastic containers up to a maximum size of 5 litres. A licence condition has the same effect as a legal requirement. The licence condition does not limit how many containers one customer may fill.

http://www.jerrycans.co.uk/blog-13-w.asp

My local Tesco garage don't sell black plastic jerry cans now, only green ones.

I was told it was fine to use green for diesel.

I have a collection of green plastic cans.....all with writing in big black felt tip........25:1 (chainsaw) 33:1 (small outboard), 50:1 (big outboard), diesel (portable generator) smile.png

He said that, if he hadn't been busy, he would have stopped me filling them.

The petrol attendant should be sacked for not doing his job correctly.

1: He did not check that the petrol was being purchased by a minor.

2: He did not check the person at the pump was smoking.

3: He did not check the person at the pump wasn't using a mobile phone.

:)

The packages should be marked with the "flammable" diamond and with the UN number for petrol (UN 1203)

I suspect that is where your jerry cans will fail, or on some variant of that as I don't remember seeing a diamond on a plastic can. That isn't to say they couldn't be marked up correctly though

Richard

Jerry cans do rust. I once nearly had a disaster while using a pertol blowtorch to solder ends on electic cables. While fitting the ends on the hot solderd wire I place the blowtorch on the steel floor. when i finished I looked down and saw the blowtorch was pointing at the plastic pertol can (top grade red) the heat had caused the plastic to soften and swell with the pressure but had kept me safe.A moments innatention and it could have killed me. Top grade plastic fuel cans rule ok.

From the Fire Brigade website :

The Law

Storage of fuel at home or the workplace (unless specifically licensed) is restricted by law to either metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres or approved plastic containers of a maximum 5 litres capacity. These containers should be designed for the purpose and must be fitted with a screw cap or closure to prevent leakage of liquid or vapour.

Petrol and diesel fuel should be stored in no more than two 10 litre metal containers or two 5 litre plastic containers. They should be clearly labeled as to their contents.

Petrol filling stations operate under license conditions, which do not allow drivers to dispense fuel into other types of container

If one was to comply with the law - then Jerry cans are illegal because :

1) they hold in excess of 10 litres

2) They do not have screw tops.

I believe (although I cannot at the moment find the document) that the maximum fuel that can be transported in a vehicle is 15 litres (obviously excluding the tank contents)

Which is (maybe) why the AA patrol vans carry 2x 5 litre cans of petrol and 1x 5 litre can of diesel

From the Fire Brigade website :

The Law

Storage of fuel at home or the workplace (unless specifically licensed) is restricted by law to either metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres or approved plastic containers of a maximum 5 litres capacity. These containers should be designed for the purpose and must be fitted with a screw cap or closure to prevent leakage of liquid or vapour.

Petrol and diesel fuel should be stored in no more than two 10 litre metal containers or two 5 litre plastic containers. They should be clearly labeled as to their contents.

Petrol filling stations operate under license conditions, which do not allow drivers to dispense fuel into other types of container

If one was to comply with the law - then Jerry cans are illegal because :

1) they hold in excess of 10 litres

2) They do not have screw tops.

I believe (although I cannot at the moment find the document) that the maximum fuel that can be transported in a vehicle is 15 litres (obviously excluding the tank contents)

Which is (maybe) why the AA patrol vans carry 2x 5 litre cans of petrol and 1x 5 litre can of diesel

http://www.screwfix.com/p/steel-jerry-can-olive-green-10ltr/54719

David Schweizer, on 21 Nov 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:David Schweizer, on 21 Nov 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/steel-jerry-can-olive-green-10ltr/54719

As everyone seems to be so pedantic :

A jerrycan is a robust fuel container made from pressed steel. It was designed in Germany in the 1930s for military use to hold 20 L (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) of fuel.

A half pint glass cannot be called a pint glass.

You have a "Hoover", it is made by Electrolux - you do not have a 'Hoover' you have an Electrolux Vacuum cleaner.

Your link does not show a 'Jerrycan' - it shows a metal can in the style of a Jerry can.

ETA Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17548007

A jerry can holds 20 litres in one container, which is against the law.

It is an old fashioned bit of kit, made out of strong pressed metal and designed in Germany back in the 1930s.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

As everyone seems to be so pedantic :

A jerrycan is a robust fuel container made from pressed steel. It was designed in Germany in the 1930s for military use to hold 20 L (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) of fuel.

A half pint glass cannot be called a pint glass.

You have a "Hoover", it is made by Electrolux - you do not have a 'Hoover' you have an Electrolux Vacuum cleaner.

Your link does not show a 'Jerrycan' - it shows a metal can in the style of a Jerry can.

ETA Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17548007

A jerry can holds 20 litres in one container, which is against the law.

It is an old fashioned bit of kit, made out of strong pressed metal and designed in Germany back in the 1930s.

Whilst the original Jerry can may have been designed to hold 20 litres, they were also sold in this country for years holding nine gallons, and were still referred to as "Jerry cans"

Edited by David Schweizer

The petrol attendant should be sacked for not doing his job correctly.

1: He did not check that the petrol was being purchased by a minor.

2: He did not check the person at the pump was smoking.

3: He did not check the person at the pump wasn't using a mobile phone.

smile.png

a thing I am seeing more and more of.

Edited by Guest

Portable fuel containers made of metal are really quite dangerous imo

Fortunately they have stopped using them on outboard motors. The seams rust through and you don't know about it until its too late

whooomf

I haven't had this happen personally but I have seen a metal outboard motor tank rusted right through

use plastic its much safer (even if intuition says it is more dangerous)

I just fil up at our local 'card only' ASDA.

Saves any hassle.

I do sometimes. The business men stand filling their company car up with one hand, whilst speaking as loudly as possible into their mobile with the other. Quite often the person they are talking to is called "Dave" which must be said as many times as possible in the same sentence. I wonder if they are all talking to the same guy?

Portable fuel containers made of metal are really quite dangerous imo

Fortunately they have stopped using them on outboard motors. The seams rust through and you don't know about it until its too late

whooomf

I haven't had this happen personally but I have seen a metal outboard motor tank rusted right through

use plastic its much safer (even if intuition says it is more dangerous)

Certainly vehicle tanks have been constructed from plastics for many years. I am not qualified to say which is safest though.

Edited by Guest

It's not dangerous so there is no good reason to stop it.

I assume the petrol companies and their insurers see the position somewhat differently. I am no expert on such matters, but assume that when it says, "no smoking" "no mobile phones" "no anything else" there is a reason for it and I tend to obey, just as it says "do not walk on the grass" in the local park, so I don't. Whether there is a good reason for it is a different matter, but just like obeying forum rules, you can be asked to leave if you don't obey the rules of the premises.

Edited by Guest

I assume the petrol companies and their insurers see the position somewhat differently. I am no expert on such matters, but assume that when it says, "no smoking" "no mobile phones" "no anything else" there is a reason for it and I tend to obey, just as it says "do not walk on the grass" in the local park, so I don't.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Fair enough a different opinion. I still question why people think they are above the rules of the premises though., and think it is likely an insurance issue. Some forum rules are questionable, though I do try to adhere to them.

I do know that when we used to contract at the oil refineries, that mobile phones were just taking off and we weren't allowed to use them on site. Same at UKF fertilizers.That position may be very different today of course. We were also not allowed petrol vehicles on site, and all power tools had to be PAT tested before we used them.(there were many other rules too.) Again things may have changed now.

Stupid phone :(

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my steel fuel cans are OK in principle.... no more than 10 litres, and each have a top that prevents leakage, and I only have 2, total 15 litres. I agree that they might corrode and leak over time - so will my boat.

The attendant definitely saw me filling up - I looked him in the eye, and he pressed the button to action the pump. When he challenged me, I subsequently thought he was trying to get me to buy a couple of their cheap crappy plastic containers. What he actually achieved was to lose a regular customer for a few litres of petrol a year, and quite a few fills of my diesel car, as well as the ocassional purchase of extortionately priced sweets and groceries.