Steel Jerry Cans - Not Legal?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my steel fuel cans are OK in principle.... no more than 10 litres, and each have a top that prevents leakage, and I only have 2, total 15 litres. I agree that they might corrode and leak over time - so will my boat.

The attendant definitely saw me filling up - I looked him in the eye, and he pressed the button to action the pump. When he challenged me, I subsequently thought he was trying to get me to buy a couple of their cheap crappy plastic containers. What he actually achieved was to lose a regular customer for a few litres of petrol a year, and quite a few fills of my diesel car, as well as the ocassional purchase of extortionately priced sweets and groceries.

Does seem strange that he knowingly let you fill them if the rules of the forecourt don't allow this.

You are probably right but if there is a slight chance a mobile phone will trigger off an explosion it is safer to ban the use of them while filling up your car.

Firstly, the guy in that video is using a lighter to look into a petrol tank. it has nothing to do with mobile phones.

Secondly, if you believe that mobile phones can cause explosions you would need to completely ban them from petrol stations, not just making calls. Modern phones are still transmitting and receiving while not being used for calls, so having one in your pocket would be just as dangerous as using one to make a call.

Firstly, the guy in that video is using a lighter to look into a petrol tank. it has nothing to do with mobile phones.

Ahh, that's what happened. I was expecting some kind of static electricity problem

Richard

When diesel was 40p/litre in France a few years back I contacted the Traffic Police about carrying in the estate car (also full), six jerry cans wedged across the back, so with approx 200 litres of diesel, potentially... They went away and came back after checking and said as long as the containers were intended for fuel ( Jerry Cans, so "yes") and a suitable fire extinguisher was carried, that is all the regs required...... Not sure I would have done it with petrol though.

The savings on the fuel alone ( approx £50) much more than paid for the out of season return ferry fare at the time, not to mention savings on other stuff (engine oil was one of the significantly less expensive things at the time) - Amazingly, I ran the diesel car at the time for approx 4 years with only ever two fill-ups with UK fuel...

I have never been challenged filling jerry cans up at the filling stations in the UK and still do...

Nick

A friend of mine use to go to Belgium in his Landrover with mate to buy drink etc. sharing the costs. He also took a trailer with 205 lt steel drums to fill with white diesel to bring back. I think it was 4 drums but may have only been three. Belgium was cheaper than France for diesel.

I was expecting some kind of static electricity problem

Richard

It would make more sense to ban people from filling up whilst wearing nylon jumpers than banning the use of phones.

Edited by Delta9

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my steel fuel cans are OK in principle.... no more than 10 litres, and each have a top that prevents leakage, and I only have 2, total 15 litres. I agree that they might corrode and leak over time - so will my boat.

The attendant definitely saw me filling up - I looked him in the eye, and he pressed the button to action the pump. When he challenged me, I subsequently thought he was trying to get me to buy a couple of their cheap crappy plastic containers. What he actually achieved was to lose a regular customer for a few litres of petrol a year, and quite a few fills of my diesel car, as well as the ocassional purchase of extortionately priced sweets and groceries.

You will probable find that the company have said to their forecourt attendants you can only sell fuel in containers if they are like that and then pointed to a plastic 5Lt one. No arguments about petrol,diesel, this can is suitable etc. Just black and white.

It would make more sense to ban people from filling up whilst wearing nylon jumpers than banning the use of phones.

Probably correct, but if they did ban nylon jumpers, there would still be those who insisted on wearing them when filling up.

Edited by Guest

If this is about 'a slight chance' then banning cars from petrol stations would make more sense

As would having vacuum fume extraction on the petrol dispensing nozzles

Richard

A bit like when you boat past some chemical works and there is great big "no smoking" signs, this thing inside my boat is sucking in that dangerous atmosphere and setting fire to it, about 700 Lt per minute.

That makes a lot of sense, get rid of the fumes as apposed to the customer breathing them.

Isn't the mobile phone issue that they are proved to take attention away from other tasks so you might not notice if the petrol is spilling?

I wouldn't have thought a mobile could actually set fire to petrol as such but it could have dangerous consequences in the same way it might if using one while operating a motor vehicle.

I don't know

A friend of mine use to go to Belgium in his Landrover with mate to buy drink etc. sharing the costs. He also took a trailer with 205 lt steel drums to fill with white diesel to bring back. I think it was 4 drums but may have only been three. Belgium was cheaper than France for diesel.

Way to go !!! clapping.giflaugh.png

Respect !

Nick

I think the issue if not using mobile phones in petrol pump forecourts is to do with intrinsic safety. I have yet to see an IS mobile phone. There must be some around but I suspect that the added expense of making a device IS would deem them to be too costly for the average purchaser.

I think the issue if not using mobile phones in petrol pump forecourts is to do with intrinsic safety. I have yet to see an IS mobile phone. There must be some around but I suspect that the added expense of making a device IS would deem them to be too costly for the average purchaser.

I think you will find the real reason is that they use, don't know if they still do, but doubt it interfere with the pump electronic metering. Likewise I have never seen an intrinsically safe mobile phone, lots of hand held radios but no phones.

Interesting thought I carry a lockable Jerry can full of diesel in the engine room as an emergency supply. Is that a BSS fail?

Yes it would be a fail.

All portable fuel containers must be stored so that any leaking fuel or fumes are vented overboard and cannot enter the cabin. I store my petrol genny and 10ltr steel petrol can in the gas locker and she passed the BSS last month with no problems.

Ahh, that's what happened. I was expecting some kind of static electricity problem

Richard

The program Mythbusters tested the theory about mobile phones and petrol stations and they couldn't start a fire. They decided static electricity from car seats was more likely, but struggled to replicate anything from that either. I'd say the best reason to ban phones is that while filling your car you should not be distracted by a phone.

Casp'

I'd say the best reason to ban phones is that while filling your car you should not be distracted by a phone.

Casp'

A lot of petrol stations have those little switches on the pump handle that let you start filling the car and then wander off to get some shopping while the pump fills the car unattended, the pump has a safety cut off for when the tank is full. Filling a petrol tank doesn't really require much attention.

A lot of petrol stations have those little switches on the pump handle that let you start filling the car and then wander off to get some shopping while the pump fills the car unattended, the pump has a safety cut off for when the tank is full. Filling a petrol tank doesn't really require much attention.

I've never seen a pump with this switch you mention, only pumps where if you're not holding the lever the flow stops..

I've never seen a pump with this switch you mention, only pumps where if you're not holding the lever the flow stops..

The switch is quite out of sight so not something you would notice unless you were looking for it, although thinking about it now I'm not sure I've seen them on UK pumps because it's not something I normally use.

The switch is quite out of sight so not something you would notice unless you were looking for it, although thinking about it now I'm not sure I've seen them on UK pumps because it's not something I normally use.

They were removed from UK filler nozzles years ago when self service became common, but are still used at "manned" fuel stations - ie out in the sticks.

If this is about 'a slight chance' then banning cars from petrol stations would make more sense

As would having vacuum fume extraction on the petrol dispensing nozzles

Richard

I was fitting VR kit many years ago when building PFS for my former employer

see

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/air-quality-climate-environment/vapour-recovery.aspx

Ray

Edited by raymondh

When diesel was 40p/litre in France a few years back I contacted the Traffic Police about carrying in the estate car (also full), six jerry cans wedged across the back, so with approx 200 litres of diesel, potentially... They went away and came back after checking and said as long as the containers were intended for fuel ( Jerry Cans, so "yes") and a suitable fire extinguisher was carried, that is all the regs required...... Not sure I would have done it with petrol though.

The savings on the fuel alone ( approx £50) much more than paid for the out of season return ferry fare at the time, not to mention savings on other stuff (engine oil was one of the significantly less expensive things at the time) - Amazingly, I ran the diesel car at the time for approx 4 years with only ever two fill-ups with UK fuel...

I have never been challenged filling jerry cans up at the filling stations in the UK and still do...

Nick

Whilst I don't doubt the legality of carrying that much on the road, I'd have expected the ferry company to have slung you off if they'd seen it.

They did years ago and some boat yards have them, squeeze the trigger and lock it, when the level hits the end of the spout the back pressure shuts it off.

I was fitting VR kit many years ago when building PFS for my former employer

see

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/air-quality-climate-environment/vapour-recovery.aspx

Ray

Was that to remove the Benzene vapor? The use to say levels were high around filling stations.