Condensation behind mattress

lifes-a-boat

Featured Posts

I'm getting condensation directly where my mattress is against the wall. Below I have slats and a space below where I store clothes in a couple of suitcases and the area has a 12w cupboard heater in it and the wall is fine. Solutions I have thought of are: drilling some holes into the wall panel where the mattress and wall meet to allow air to circulate: putting some batons on the wall so that the mattress doesn't touch the wall. Are any of these going to work? Anyone got any suggestions? Many thanks

Air circulation is the key to help get rid of condensation. We had a similar problem in cupboard above our bed getting condensation inside then running down the wall a little over night. Drilling some vent holes with some brass covers has fixed the issue.

I find that a de-humidifier, in the bedroom whilst cooking/showering helps or keeping the door to the bedroom closed until about an hour before bedtime or as suggested pull the mattress out six inchs or so . Bunny

I have a 4'6" wide mattress in my widebeam which sits on an ordinary free-standing metal bedstead. I guess this is as free-floating to allow air circulation as you can get, and consequently I get no condensation or dampness at all. The bed is open underneath (rather than cupboards), which allows heat from the stove to get underneath. I store all kinds of junk under there.

CAM00298_zps998b8563.jpg

If space dictated that I had to have a built-in bed, then I'd get rid of the wooden slats and make something equivalent to the picture above - perhaps out of a section of metal fence with a wooden supporting fame around the edge. Or I'd buy a second-hand metal bedstead and just use the open base. Also, I'd get rid of anything which encloses the space underneath.

Edited by blackrose

I can recommend the DRY-mat. This will be the third winter we have had it in place and it has stopped the condensation problem, we have a solid base with storage under. It comes in standard sizes and can be cut to fit however we left the excess on and make sure it is wrapped up the side of the mattress next to the window.

We also make sure the black rubber seal is perfectly in place on this window it makes a huge difference to the level of condensation below the window.

Val