BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Yes, but we only spent 1/2 hour i the pub then slept.

I know it's possible to sleep in shifts, and in fact we did take naps at different times, but it's too exciting to stay in bed when things are going on, especially at 4am when it's raining. clapping.gif

Sue

Ps our form went off yesterday, and according to John they had already had 6 entries before mine left.

Yes, but we only spent 1/2 hour i the pub then slept.

I know it's possible to sleep in shifts, and in fact we did take naps at different times, but it's too exciting to stay in bed when things are going on, especially at 4am when it's raining. clapping.gif

Sue

Ps our form went off yesterday, and according to John they had already had 6 entries before mine left.

Its only possible to sleep in shifts, if the boat is crewed with 4 or more (for lock sections) or 2 or more (the flat bits). Thus handing a massive advantage to those boats with more crew. We took advantage of the flat sections for each to have a spell inside the boat, out of the rain, and with engine-coolant-supplied central heating, the inside was quite welcoming and the puppy prefers it!). If the weather's better this year we may go on into the night a bit longer, but with the rain it was just too dodgy for just the 2 of us doing locks into the night, the last 6 locks were done very cautiously. I'd not fancy trying to singlehand a lock in the dark AND rain.

OK I will look at it seriously and see if I can get boat there,

I came back from Brum when collected her with lot of help with locks as there is an awful lot.

What area are you in? Perhaps there will be someone near you who is headed towards Brum for the challenge. You could tag onto them for confidence and sharing lock flights and then collect your BCN Challenge crew once you get to Birmingham.

i am near Braunston, but have never done the BCN challenge so would need a very organised crew.

The BCN challenge isn't about winning, it is about taking part and raising the awareness of the BCN.

The number of boats and the message that gets out are the important thing.

The Organisers need to start engaging local media more effectively and using social media feeds (apparently) to further the message.

i am near Braunston, but have never done the BCN challenge so would need a very organised crew.

Only one crew can win. They are likely to be very organised and spend every available second boating. They are also likely to be a full-length working boat (unless the rules change significantly for next year). For the rest of us the aim is to have fun...

(Just ignore the picture of me on page one of this thread, I was enjoying myself, honest!)

Cath, I truly think that picture of you should be the new header for the #BCNChallenge Twitter feed. Can I use it? biggrin.png

I would have no problems, but the copyright lies with son David. I will ask him.

Edit:

Son David is somewhat bemused by the idea that you would want to publicise the challenge that way, but said "I guess so".

Edited by Catrin

I would have no problems, but the copyright lies with son David. I will ask him.

Edit:

Son David is somewhat bemused by the idea that you would want to publicise the challenge that way, but said "I guess so".

That picture encapsulates this years BCN Challenge for me. I felt for most of the challenge just how you look in that photo, but I still enjoyed every minute of it.

I guess i used organised in wrong context, what I meant was i do not know the Birmingham canals nor the set up of the BCN challenge, not aiming to win just have fun but i'm not what one could by any stretch of the imagination describe as competent, clueless nearer the mark. So if clueless taken as base line then my concerns stem from that so its case of .how?. when?..where etc Comprende?

Just turn up in Birmingham on the friday night. I'm sure Laurie won't mind you following Clarrie down to the finish point on Saturday morning. That way it doesn't matter if you don't know what you are doing!

No problem, I will be setting off from Birmingham, would be good to meet up with you. I can give good advice regarding wooden spoons (didn't get one a few years ago). Two years ago I didn't even get to the finishing line due to breaking down twice.

:)