BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Serious question.....

I've noted comments along the lines of "must get my entry in" suggesting maybe some urgency?

Last year we only entered a week or two beforehand, I think, and with no problems.

I very much doubt we can be in it this year, but if my some miracle we could, I wouldn't wish to miss out.

Am I correct that there is unlikely to be a limit on boat numbers participating, and hence there is no hurry to get entries in, please?

I would be very surprised is there is a limit on numbers.

The entry form always gives a date on which entries have to be received by, on this year form it says "Monday 19th May", the 19th is actually the Tuesday, so I suspect it was supposed to say Monday 18th, but anyway get it in a week before the event and you have met the date.

I need to get my entry in pronto as I have secured a crew now!!!

Do you get extra points for having foreigners on board? And bonuses because the are kiwis? And old? And one of them is a drunkard? And the other sleeps almost as much as Ange?

OK, I am going to be the first to break radio silence on this as no one else has admitted to having the 2015 rules and planning sheets.

So those who have entered and have had the email from John Carrington, what are the thoughts on the new rules, and where do I get a butty.

Any chance of scanning the rules and uploading them on here?

The are a word doc anyway, but I don't think that would really be acceptable, they are the BCNS copyright. The BCNS web side has the 2104 rules, and says it will be updated to the 2015 ones, so no doubt when they want to make them public they will do that.

OK, I am going to be the first to break radio silence on this as no one else has admitted to having the 2015 rules and planning sheets.

So those who have entered and have had the email from John Carrington, what are the thoughts on the new rules, and where do I get a butty.

I guess its the same as last time - you enter first, then receive the rules?

I'm not that worried 1) because I know others are far more competitive, we're just here for the fun of it and 2) because our boat length makes us very uncompetitive, but I got the impression last year that boat length was felt to be too much of an influence, ie the shorter boat crews who did a lot, didn't get the recognition in terms of points total. So I'd be interested if they've done a major tweak here.

I guess its the same as last time - you enter first, then receive the rules?

I'm not that worried 1) because I know others are far more competitive, we're just here for the fun of it and 2) because our boat length makes us very uncompetitive, but I got the impression last year that boat length was felt to be too much of an influence, ie the shorter boat crews who did a lot, didn't get the recognition in terms of points total. So I'd be interested if they've done a major tweak here.

The rules on boat length are VERY different this year, which I think takes on board the comments that had been made in that area. So your 2) may not be true any more.

Just to mention that Telemachus's & crew have decided not to enter the challenge this year, for various logistical reasons (and because if Junior has a bigger boat, we would be scared!). I know I will be sad and probably regret that decision as the time approaches, but at least without our presence, good weather is guaranteed! Next year...

I haven't seen the rules yet but if having a butty is going to get extra points then I may just be able to borrow one. More importantly I'm off on some further pairs training in Feb so I should have some valuable skills of taking a pair around parts of the BCN. Now just need someone with a motor.