BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Just in case you've missed it here is the content of the email.

I wonder if you and your members can help us on the 24hr cruise. We are currently looking at how we manage our floating rubbish problems because we continue to get regular issues so I suspect we probably don’t spend enough money and what we do spend needs better targeting. This problem is particularly focused around the northern BCN /W&E etc so your cruise ties in nicely. Therefore would your cruisers mind sending us photos, with a location, of bad stretches so we can put a picture together of the worst places and come up with a plan?

Charley the chair of the BCNS (who will be in charge of the beer tent at the finish) has offered to download your photographs and send them direct to Ian Lane if you would prefer. He will have his laptop and assorted leads available

If you would prefer to send them to CRT direct please use the following e mail (I've disguised it a bit.

ian dot lane at canalrivertrust.org.uk

-

I think this is a really positive thing for them to do, they've obviously taken note of what's going on and asked for a bit of help, to help us all, without it causing us much effort.

I'm impressed.

Sue

Just in case you've missed it here is the content of the email.

I wonder if you and your members can help us on the 24hr cruise. We are currently looking at how we manage our floating rubbish problems because we continue to get regular issues so I suspect we probably don’t spend enough money and what we do spend needs better targeting. This problem is particularly focused around the northern BCN /W&E etc so your cruise ties in nicely. Therefore would your cruisers mind sending us photos, with a location, of bad stretches so we can put a picture together of the worst places and come up with a plan?

Charley the chair of the BCNS (who will be in charge of the beer tent at the finish) has offered to download your photographs and send them direct to Ian Lane if you would prefer. He will have his laptop and assorted leads available

If you would prefer to send them to CRT direct please use the following e mail (I've disguised it a bit.

ian dot lane at canalrivertrust.org.uk

-

I think this is a really positive thing for them to do, they've obviously taken note of what's going on and asked for a bit of help, to help us all, without it causing us much effort.

I'm impressed.

Sue

interesting this, they have community payback clearing these stretches on a regular basis, but we have noticed of late they don't even try to remove larger objects on health and safety grounds, indeed in the recent past CRT asked us to try and retrieve a setee in Wednesfield, which we did, getting that into a hold was a job. CRT never seem to use their own shallow sided workflaat at all and yet it is more suitable.

The Moomin's plan failed on its first contact with the enemy. I was sure that the moorings on the GU north of Kingswood Junction were at least partly unrestricted, They are, but all the length with rings are 48hrs, and the rest doesn't look suitable for getting pins in that will last a long weekend unattended. Current plan B is to reverse back through the Lapworth link and go back down the South Stratford two or three locks where there's a nice longish pound with Armco and a winding hole.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

The Moomin's plan failed on its first contact with the enemy. I was sure that the moorings on the GU north of Kingswood Junction were at least partly unrestricted, They are, but all the length with rings are 48hrs, and the rest doesn't look suitable for getting pins in that will last a long weekend unattended. Current plan B is to reverse back through the Lapworth link and go back down the South Stratford two or three locks where there's a nice longish pound with Armco and a winding hole.

MP.

I got pins in there and was there almost 2 weeks and the pins did not move. That was just next to the junction on the North side. The South side of the junction is a bit more grassy, possibly easier to get pins in.

Edited by john6767

Stopped for the day, Birmingham is now within sniffing distance, the boat being just on the S&W after the little stop lock at Autherley Junction. I'll be setting off early tomorrow so I can do the Wolverhampton 21 in the morning, then I might either stop at the top for a while, or tootle around until I need to pick littleduck up from the station.

Weather looks good for Saturday but rainy Sunday???

Stopped for the day, Birmingham is now within sniffing distance, the boat being just on the S&W after the little stop lock at Autherley Junction. I'll be setting off early tomorrow so I can do the Wolverhampton 21 in the morning, then I might either stop at the top for a while, or tootle around until I need to pick littleduck up from the station.

Weather looks good for Saturday but rainy Sunday???

It's only forecasting light rain on Sunday, a mere nothing for BCN Challenge weather. Nice today!

We have engine start! The end of the rebuild is in sight. Huge thanks to Richard for working so hard the last few days to make sure the engine was finished in time for the challenge. Cutting it fine but we had every confidence in him!

I've just finished doing loads and loads of replanning, and I reckon we've got a really good route worked out. But while doing it I realised that my heart isn't in it any more, or indeed in the concept of travelling anywhere with either a defined destination or timescale. Things have just been all too stressful of late, and they still aren't right yet, and I know I couldn't handle the stress and strain of even a totally noncompetitive entry. We're just going to leave Birmingham behind us, spend a few days at the most peaceful spot we can find, and hope that nothing else breaks while we're doing nothing at all. So you can delete Team Telford from the list.

How far is Sneyd from Birchills junction I don't fancy staying at Walsall top lock again this year

I've just finished doing loads and loads of replanning, and I reckon we've got a really good route worked out. But while doing it I realised that my heart isn't in it any more, or indeed in the concept of travelling anywhere with either a defined destination or timescale. Things have just been all too stressful of late, and they still aren't right yet, and I know I couldn't handle the stress and strain of even a totally noncompetitive entry. We're just going to leave Birmingham behind us, spend a few days at the most peaceful spot we can find, and hope that nothing else breaks while we're doing nothing at all. So you can delete Team Telford from the list.

Really sorry to hear that, hope you find a nice spot and if it is on the BCN give us a wave as we pass.

Hopefully things will be better for next year?

That's a pity, but quite understandable. My suggestion for a quiet hangout, if you're starting from north brum, woulld be the Staffs and Worcester around Kinver.

I know what you mean about defined times and destinations. It's amazing how much same can distort a pleasant casual trip.

MP.

I got pins in there and was there almost 2 weeks and the pins did not move. That was just next to the junction on the North side. The South side of the junction is a bit more grassy, possibly easier to get pins in.

Thanks for that. We've come two locks down the South Stratford and found a great mooring, apart from a bit of M40 noise. Should be possible to reverse back up those two locks when the time comes. Reversing through the Lapworth link was surprisingly stress-free.

Tawny Owl, let us know when you get to the Junction, we're less than 10 minutes walk away.

MP.

That's a pity, but quite understandable. My suggestion for a quiet hangout, if you're starting from north brum, woulld be the Staffs and Worcester around Kinver.

I know what you mean about defined times and destinations. It's amazing how much same can distort a pleasant casual trip.

MP.

Thanks for that. We've come two locks down the South Stratford and found a great mooring, apart from a bit of M40 noise. Should be possible to reverse back up those two locks when the time comes. Reversing through the Lapworth link was surprisingly stress-free.

Tawny Owl, let us know when you get to the Junction, we're less than 10 minutes walk away.

MP.

Show off.

Team Tawny Owl MILLIE, RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairy, Moominpapa, Moominmama, Anne the cabin girl, Robert the Geek, Ange, Davel

Birdseyes Crew The Captain, Mrs. Birdseye, Sarah, Joe the Cabin Boy, Wrinkles Lea and Yvonne

Team Telford TELFORD THE DOG (Woof), Keeping Up, Pingu Defeated by life, universe, everything, etc. Regrouping for next year
Team Poppycock Nine of Hearts (honorary cat), Jo, Odana, Black Beauty
Team HALSALL. Junior, Rob M and Captain Fizz Rain stops play
Old Fiends Matty40s, Kathleeen Bridget, Kiwimum, Kiwiwidad
Team Red Wharf Victor Vector, Little Else, Madcat
Team Monkee TreeMonkey, Starcoaster, P6Rob, Dyad
Clarrie Laurie B
Denry BELLA BASSETT, paul_c, littleduck!
Team Firefly, john6767, Sally, Barry, Caroline
Team Diesel & Dust MARS, SNOOP, Tom & Becky (Tom and Bex), Jack, Kat, Steve, and Sam
NUNEATON & BRIGHTON Barry Adams, Oakie, Narrow Boat Trust members
Team Carpe Vinum Daz, Mrs Daz, 2 Daughters, L.B.B. Bag
Team Beau CASSIE, Captain Dave_P, First Mate Louise, Alys the Author
Changing Pace WILLOW, EVA, ZAK Dave, Louise
Team Dotterel - Graham , Tom, Claire, Chris, Rebecca
Clover m589, sarahavfc, Daniel.
Dove Dove
Goliath DMR, Gillie
Crane Geoff Bailey, Trev, Rob, Tom, Jim, Dave Moore
Notos Brumsaint (John), Josie + Pip
Team Pykes PYXE, Bossy Pykey (Water Warrior), Mr Gadget, Nutty Pykey(Tree), Wardrobe, Barney, Rosie
GUELROSE Mike, Victor, Rosewood, Nobby, Wobblers and Tom
any other boat dogs, cats, gerbils etc.?
Richard
Edited by RLWP

You can add our 2 cats Mars and Snoop to our crew - hopefully Snoop won't repeat yesterday's swimming episode!

Tom

Already done yesterday! They reminded me whilst wrestling with the mighty HA3

So, I think we can have a 'most spectacular/weird/biggest' piece of floating debris photo competition. Before some bright spark chips in, photos of Tawny don't count

Richard