BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Team Old Friends spotted reaching the top of Aston as we drove home from work.

Supplies for team poppycat have been bought, and weather booked.

We are outside at the Fiddle & Bone, Old Friends just gone past BACKWARDS, wtf? Nice job btw Matty.

We are outside at the Fiddle & Bone, Old Friends just gone past BACKWARDS, wtf? Nice job btw Matty.

It is impossible to get a 70 footer to turn right out of Sherbourne Wharf, I now know that.

Quick reverse to the moorings....

Lots of spaces between boats meant we couldn't get front end tied up.

Bearwood Boster slipped forwards obligingly. ☺

Well we've just had the first run with our rebuilt engine - Rising Lane moorings to Kingswood junction and back so we're facing the right way for tomorrow.

Had a minor scare as got slower, lost power and stopped. Engine wouldn't restart. Bled some more air out of the fuel system, nipped up a slightly leaking fuel pump union and on our way again. So nice to be out boating. Thanks to Richard the engine is sounding great now.

Can't wait to get going tomorrow morning. See you all soon.

Tom

I would also say that you can't have the bonus but doing that. Anyway what is 7 points when you have lost 50 for Titford. I was looking forward to having a go at the pools as well.

BTW, and my real reason for replying, guess which boat is at the front of the ones in front of you? If I can get up, should be a 7AM start into Birmingham tomorrow.

So thats two for 'no' and one for 'yes'

Any other offers? Do I hear a 'maybe'?

Apologies for not saying 'hello'. I walked the other way back to the pub and didn't recognise 'Firefly' at the front of the line.

I asked the same question relating to a potential starting bonus at Pelsall followed by going to Grove Colliery Basin first and then to Birchills; Roy responded that this was not possible, saying "if you start at Pelsall Junction you would need to go to Birchills Junction to qualify for the 7 point starting bonus"

Ah, so that's a definitive NO then.

So thats two for 'no' and one for 'yes'

Any other offers? Do I hear a 'maybe'?

Apologies for not saying 'hello'. I walked the other way back to the pub and didn't recognise 'Firefly' at the front of the line.

Ah, so that's a definitive NO then.

Apologies from me for taking the piss that Birmingham was full when it actually was! Glad you got moored up ok, was looking out for you coming past Fidler and Bone to say moor up to us, but I guess you sensibly to the loop back.

The Moomin's plan failed on its first contact with the enemy. I was sure that the moorings on the GU north of Kingswood Junction were at least partly unrestricted, They are, but all the length with rings are 48hrs, and the rest doesn't look suitable for getting pins in that will last a long weekend unattended. Current plan B is to reverse back through the Lapworth link and go back down the South Stratford two or three locks where there's a nice longish pound with Armco and a winding hole.

MP.

Feel free to use our mooring in Kingswood Basin. Pontoon to the left of 'Summer Wine'.

(But don't tell anyone)

Team 'Clarrie' spotted taking refreshment at Lady Lane Wharf this a'noon.

So they've made it to the end of the arm and onto the Stratford!

smile.png

ETA Brum moorings currently rammed with CWDF boats.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Feel free to use our mooring in Kingswood Basin. Pontoon to the left of 'Summer Wine'.

(But don't tell anyone)

Thanks. Had we known, we would have done. Too close to dark to start reversing back up the flight now.

Cheers,

MP.

It is impossible to get a 70 footer to turn right out of Sherbourne Wharf, I now know that.

Quick reverse to the moorings....

Lots of spaces between boats meant we couldn't get front end tied up.

Bearwood Boster slipped forwards obligingly. ☺

I don't think you can turn right with anything more than 20ft to be honest, when I have needed to do that I go out on the main line to the basin on the right and turn. In don't think the "audience" at Fidler and Bone appreciated the reverse skill but I did.

Monument Lane basin

Richard

As long as it doesn't have a group of continuous moorers in it like there was at the start of the year, wasn't enough room to wind a 70ft pair in there.

As long as it doesn't have a group of continuous moorers in it like there was at the start of the year, wasn't enough room to wind a 70ft pair in there.

Yes, that is the first time I have seen boats in there. I always worry I will run aground in there, nice to know I am wrong

Richard

I don't think you can turn right with anything more than 20ft to be honest, when I have needed to do that I go out on the main line to the basin on the right and turn. In don't think the "audience" at Fidler and Bone appreciated the reverse skill but I did.

I've done it in a 45 footer but I think its about the limit for what would fit round the turn. I remember it also being complicated by another boat coming along at an inopportune time, but they stopped and let us squeeze round.

Yes, that is the first time I have seen boats in there. I always worry I will run aground in there, nice to know I am wrong

Richard

There's always boats in there these days.

I think there's 3 at the moment but you could easily wind a 70 footer

Given I am boatless for this year's BCNC, where is the finish?

Last year I missed all the beer so I think I might drive there directly and join Laurie in attacking it before you lot arrive...

cheers.gif

MtB

Given I am boatless for this year's BCNC, where is the finish?

Last year I missed all the beer so I think I might drive there directly and join Laurie in attacking it before you lot arrive...

cheers.gif

MtB

Bradley Workshops