BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Will be heading from Lady Lane on Stratford Canal Friday am into Birmingham then onto start point who may be around the area on Friday day/night?

Or even by Bluebell Pub/Lady Lane Wharf Thursday night.

.. how safe/secure for overnight I would not like to say.

I think it is pretty safe since there is a lot of CCTV and security guards. When I first went there by car to check out the moorings one evening, and wandered down to the gate on foot, I was challenged by a security man.

I think it is pretty safe since there is a lot of CCTV and security guards. When I first went there by car to check out the moorings one evening, and wandered down to the gate on foot, I was challenged by a security man.

And the mooring is offside

Richard

Will be heading from Lady Lane on Stratford Canal Friday am into Birmingham then onto start point who may be around the area on Friday day/night?

Or even by Bluebell Pub/Lady Lane Wharf Thursday night.

Vox Stellarum appears to be hanging around near the Bluebell so I wonder if they are going to be involved in the BCN Challenge?

Last Saturday they were still in Newbury so they must be on some sort of mission!

Thursday night, hope to be at Drawbridge Inn Shirley.

I will maybe see you about on Thursday pm depending on what time I finish work etc.

As I know you like your photography have a look at some of the pics I took with my drone over Lady lane http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/Kustomcut/library/BCN%202015?sort=3&page=1

I will maybe see you about on Thursday pm depending on what time I finish work etc.

As I know you like your photography have a look at some of the pics I took with my drone over Lady lane http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/Kustomcut/library/BCN%202015?sort=3&page=1

Great pictures, hope the weather is OK for Thursday plus. Hope to see.

:)

Oops, the Crow closed due to gate damage. That's a shame, seems one can get through on Saturday and Sunday 08:00-14:00. Maybe someone who is competing should point out to CRT that it is the weekend of the Challenge.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/3437/oldbury-lock-flight-oldbury-titford-canal

Edited by nicknorman

Vox Stellarum appears to be hanging around near the Bluebell so I wonder if they are going to be involved in the BCN Challenge?

Last Saturday they were still in Newbury so they must be on some sort of mission!

Will you be on the challenge with Goliath? We want to see you all again.

:)

Oh dear

Notice Alert

Titford Canal
Starts At: Oldbury Top Lock No. 1
Ends At: Oldbury Bottom Lock No. 6

Tuesday 19 May 2015 14:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

The beams on the bottom gates of locks 3 and 5 have been badly damaged so we have taken the decision to close the flight for navigation. However, until repairs are carried out anyone wishing to travel can do so via prior arrangement and the Trusts staff will manage boats through between 08.00 and 16.00. Monday to Friday and 08.00 to 14.00 Saturday to Sunday. The flight will remain fully closed outside this period.

To arrange passage please contact our customer service team on: 0303 040 4040 Monday to Friday or 0800 47 999 47 for weekend calls.

Does anyone know it the BCN Challenge organisers have spoke to the trust on this, or do we all have to individually contact CRT?

Edit to add: just called CRT, but Fazeley office closes at 4:30 so just missed them. I will try them again in the morning.

Edited by john6767

There is parking there outdoors and in a multi-storey, how safe/secure for overnight I would not like to say.

Regarding the location of the moorings take a look at the picture the red crude line shows the entrance and where the moorings actually are, the blue line shows the multi storey car park.

star%20city_zpseecjbz03.jpg

Thanks for that, I'll go and have a look.

Will you be on the challenge with Goliath? We want to see you all again.

smile.png

That's the plan.

If the weather is good we are going to make a serious attempt to do well.

If the weather is bad then its lots of beer and trying to come in behind you!

.............Dav.

Team Tawny Owl MILLIE, RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairy, Moominpapa, Moominmama, Anne the cabin girl, Robert the Geek, Ange, Davel

Birdseyes Crew The Captain, Mrs. Birdseye, Sarah, Joe the Cabin Boy, Wrinkles Lea and Yvonne

Team Telford TELFORD THE DOG (Woof), Keeping Up, Pingu
Team Poppycock Nine of Hearts (honorary cat), Jo, Odana, Black Beauty
Team HALSALL. Junior, Rob M and Captain Fizz Rain stops play
Old Fiends Matty40s, Kathleeen Bridget, Kiwimum, Kiwiwidad
Team Red Wharf Victor Vector, Little Else, Madcat
Team Monkee TreeMonkey, Starcoaster, P6Rob, Dyad
Clarrie Laurie B
Denry BELLA BASSETT, paul_c, littleduck!
Team Firefly, john6767, Sally, Barry, Caroline
Team Diesel & Dust Tom & Becky (Tom and Bex), Jack, Kat, Steve, and Sam
NUNEATON & BRIGHTON Barry Adams
Team Carpe Vinum Daz, Mrs Daz, 2 Daughters, L.B.B. Bag
Team Beau CASSIE, Captain Dave_P, First Mate Louise, Alys the Author
Changing Pace WILLOW, EVA, ZAK Dave, Louise
Team Dotterel - Graham , Tom, Claire, Chris
Clover m589, sarahavfc, Daniel.
Dove Dove
Vox Stellarum DMR, Goliath (is that right?)
Richard
Edited by RLWP

Can anyone advise if we can turn a 72ft boat into the Titford canal at Oldbury Jcn from the direction of Tipton? If not, we will do it on the return trip.

We can with a 70' boat, I can't see the extra 2' being a problem. We put crew off with handling lines

Have I got you in the list?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Vox Stellarum DMR, Goliath (is that right?)
Richard

dmr and Gillie (both of this forum) will be crew on Goliath (also of this forum though not posted for a while).

............Dave

Hi all,

Crane is preparing for the Challenge. Hopefully, the crew will be me, Trev, Rob Tom and James - and Dave Moore also hopes to be with us at some stage. Plus Gilly and Emma in the galley!

Trust the weather will not be as wet as the Saturday last Year!

We were able to have a reconnaissance trip into Titford Pools last weekend with Dove, but perhaps the partial closure of the Crow is going to interfere with some plans!

Geoff

Tomorrow we leave our lair at Preston Bagot, heading for Tawny-rendezvous.

MP.

Looking forward to catching up with you both :)

We're both working in Stoke in Friday so our arrival will be a tad tardy - Dave's Friday driving jobs can go on till 7pm but we'll get there at some point

Just seen this on Facebook:

NOTE TO ALL 24 HOUR CHALLENGERS!! This email has just arrived in my inbox:- Hello All – bad news im afraid – we have just visited site and the beams on lock 3 and 5 on titford locks have been damaged really badly and we have had to close the flight whilst we repair/replace the beam. Its now with our engineers to work up.

Whilst we are going to try and manage the odd boat thoug...h via prior arrangement we will not be able to accommodate the continual stream of boats on the 24hr challenge and this may actually lead to a full failure. Therefore is it possible to rule this flight out of your route please?

Sorry for this but its beyond our control and we want to try and keep them going until repairs are implemented. At present I have no dates for this but I may take several weeks especially if new beams are required.

Kind regards

Ian Lane

Tim