BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Blimey - how many times did you run aground?

Richard

Three times (as has been aired extensively on here) once due to my own "operator error" and twice due to boaters who don't understand that if you fill a lock from a short pound for a second time (a boat waiting to go up ahead having already taken one lockfull out) not only does it not help your progress (you have to wait in the next pound anyway) but it drops the level of the pound significantly. Never mind, I know you and Alan haven't been boating for long, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

They'll have to wind at CTS so I'll look at the front their boat when they come back past as well. I might raise an eyebrow and in extreme cases roll my eyes and tut.

No they don't go as far as CTS, they wind at the coal basin (can't remember it's name) Edited by nicknorman

No they don't go as far as CTS, they wind at the coal basin (can't remember it's name)

The Grove

So, why didn't we run aground in those flights? And, what did you go to see when you were over the other sides of those (shallow) pounds?

Richard

The stretch between Anchor Bridge and Burntwood Road bridge has a very narrow, not very deep channel, it's stupidly easy to get a boat stuck there.

Although in my case it wasn't so much as stupidly easy, as stupid! The previous year we had stopped under the last bridge before the basin to remove the autumn weed from the basin (which seems unlike any other weed!) and the boat had drifted right into the side. So during the challenge I thought I would drop Jeff off to look for the clue, under that bridge knowing it was plenty deep enough at the side. WRONG! It is deep on the non-towpath side but not on the towpath side and, since I was doing a fair lick at the time, went proper aground!

So, why didn't we run aground in those flights? And, what did you go to see when you were over the other sides of those (shallow) pounds?

Richard

Because you draw next to nothing, surely?

Because you draw next to nothing, surely?

Being used to the BCN, you learn the places to avoid going - and the pounds in lock flights are high on the list

They were almost full of rubbish back in the 1980's

Richard

Being used to the BCN, you learn the places to avoid going - and the pounds in lock flights are high on the list

They were almost full of rubbish back in the 1980's

Richard

So presumably you carry your boat between locks?

Anyway, they were even fuller in the 60s when I first went on the BCN (although we had a much shallower drafted boat)

So presumably you carry your boat between locks?

Anyway, they were even fuller in the 60s when I first went on the BCN (although we had a much shallower drafted boat)

Nick, you are welcome to enjoy your cruises to the far sides of short BCN pounds. I think you deserve anything you get over there, you don't need to blame other boaters for you going aground

Richard

Nick, you are welcome to enjoy your cruises to the far sides of short BCN pounds. I think you deserve anything you get over there, you don't need to blame other boaters for you going aground

Richard

??

An interesting viewpoint - I suppose you didn't expect me to move over to the right just enough to let you past? Anyway, knowing you as I do there is no way you are going to publicly admit that unnecessarily draining 2 lockfulls out of a short and shallow pound is a bad idea. But you'll probably think about it and get the message.

Although in my case it wasn't so much as stupidly easy, as stupid! The previous year we had stopped under the last bridge before the basin to remove the autumn weed from the basin (which seems unlike any other weed!) and the boat had drifted right into the side. So during the challenge I thought I would drop Jeff off to look for the clue, under that bridge knowing it was plenty deep enough at the side. WRONG! It is deep on the non-towpath side but not on the towpath side and, since I was doing a fair lick at the time, went proper aground!

The weed in the basin is weird, right enough, the time of year seems to make a big difference to how easy it is to throw off more than the quantity that's around the prop. The last bridge, that's the new one isn't it, the toll road bridge? I don't think I've ever stopped under there tbh. The stretch from there to the basin's nice and deep, you can get a lick on there. From there back to anchor bridge is about my least favourite stretch of cut round here, shallow, twisty and overhanging trees you can't really dodge without going aground. Next time I'm up there with some time on my hands I'm going to do some pruning.

The weed in the basin is weird, right enough, the time of year seems to make a big difference to how easy it is to throw off more than the quantity that's around the prop. The last bridge, that's the new one isn't it, the toll road bridge? I don't think I've ever stopped under there tbh. The stretch from there to the basin's nice and deep, you can get a lick on there. From there back to anchor bridge is about my least favourite stretch of cut round here, shallow, twisty and overhanging trees you can't really dodge without going aground. Next time I'm up there with some time on my hands I'm going to do some pruning.

It was September (2013) when we got the stringy weed that totally stopped all propulsion and steerage. Cleared it whilst drifting along in the basin and then again under the new bridge on the way back. I don't recall the rest of it being too bad, although we bumped over something at the bridge just after Ogley Jn and again a bridge or two before the last one. Considering we draw 2'8" static that wasn't too bad.

Oi! No wooden spoons with me & Dave aboard biggrin.png

Dead chuffed - thank you - I look forward to the culinary delights aboard Cobbett

CRAP. I forgot about the food thing. Team Monkey looks a bit less shiny now that I have remembered that me, Munky and MtB cannot cook anything cooler than a pot noodle between us.

Oh well, I spose we'll just smoke and drink then...

I have resurrected the BCNChallenge twitter thread, and will get mapping software (a good one!) sorted in good time this year!

Edited by Starcoaster

Three times (as has been aired extensively on here) once due to my own "operator error" and twice due to boaters who don't understand that if you fill a lock from a short pound for a second time (a boat waiting to go up ahead having already taken one lockfull out) not only does it not help your progress (you have to wait in the next pound anyway) but it drops the level of the pound significantly. Never mind, I know you and Alan haven't been boating for long, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

No they don't go as far as CTS, they wind at the coal basin (can't remember it's name)

I went right to the end of the extension last time. But then I am a bit daft. Didn't run aground though.

Looks like I have 2 choices.

A join Red Wharf as ships cat.

B. Start at Tipton with Halsall go straight to Bradley and eat all the food then alternate between sleeping and scaring the local wild life.

Given these options I think a wise cat would sign up for Red Wharf pronto. So count me in Team Red Wharf please.

Looks like I have 2 choices.

A join Red Wharf as ships cat.

B. Start at Tipton with Halsall go straight to Bradley and eat all the food then alternate between sleeping and scaring the local wild life.

Given these options I think a wise cat would sign up for Red Wharf pronto. So count me in Team Red Wharf please.

I'm starting at Tipton museum, then the next day "John the Lock" mooring then Bradley.

smile.png

Thus achieving a no locks challenge.

:)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

Splendid!

Thats team 'Red Wharf' sorted then.

smile.png

Not got a clue but am sure it will be fun!

Fun? FUN!!

Good heavens woman, you don't think we do things like the BCN Challenge for fun do you?

wink.png

Nick you ain't a proper BCN boater till you've got stuck on some bit of exotica the locals have dumped in the cut. If all else fails there's always mud .

It sometimes doesn't pay to examine the contents of a urban canal too closely :)

Well we did manage the steel-cored washing line around the prop near the basin on the old main line near Tividale (cant remember what it's called), complete with an extensive collection of ladies underwear. In particular I remember the leopard-skin panties! Fortunately it was Jeff's turn down the weed hatch!