Red Lion Cropredy

jellybeano

Featured Posts

Tied up in Cropredy today, went to Red Lion for a drink at 6pm. Noticed the blackboard by the lock saying "Food served from noon". Outside the pub was a handwritten notice saying only pre-booked tables for meals. We ordered drinks, and, while I was about to hand over the money, asked why the blackboard at the lock did not make it clear that food was not available to casual customers. We were told that one had, in winter, to pre-book by 3 o'clock the day before (which might be fair enough, but should be made clear.) We said why not make that clear on the lockside blackboard, at which point the barman said he did not like our attitude or want our custom, took back our drinks and threw them away!!! We shan't be going there again!!! Maybe not a pub for canal boaters any more?!

The first time I went in the Red Lion (about ten years ago), I had possibly the best sandwich lunch and pint or three I have ever had.

Every time I've returned since, I been ever more disappointed. The beer, the food and the hospitality seems to be on a nosedive to mediocrity.

You know when you find a twenty pound note lying in the gutter, and every time you pass that spot again you irrationally look hoping to find another? That's what it is like going in the Red Lion at Cropredy (for me at least).

MtB

P.S. I hear the Brasenose now has a new landlord. I'm surprised at the Aussies (or were they kiwis?) seemed to be making a good fist of running it.

We keep our boat at Croperdy Marina.

We have only ever been to the Red Lion once, to find they had decided not to do food that evening. Those were their words.

We always go to the Brazenose....good food and they have always managed to find us a table....even on a busy weekend night in the Summer.

We have only ever been to the Red Lion once, to find they had decided not to do food that evening. Those were their words.

I've had that too!

AND...

Arriving there during normal opening hours to find the place shut and locked up.

I have no idea why I keep going there.

Actually, yes I have. It's that £20 note effect I mentioned earlier!

MtB

I have been in a few times and have yet to see anyone eating .

I think its minimum staffing landlord and landlady are only staff I have seen.

As a pub its ok but maybe trade isn't great so under pressure.

Years ago now, had some good times in the Red Lion. Then it closed and re epened. We went for a meal one evening a few years ago, to be told that they had a large table booked that evening at eight, so serving us was not possible. It was just after six when we arrived, with nobody else in!

We have used the Brasenose ever since and never been dissapointed.

It would be easy to suggest that the Red Lion be boycotted but that would only be playing into the hands of the landlord.

He wants to shut the place down and get PP to convert it to a residence I imagine, thereby adding £500k to the value of the building.

MtB

He wants to shut the place down and get PP to convert it to a residence I imagine, thereby adding £500k to the value of the building.

MtB

In that case the landlord must be in cahoots with the pubco who own the Red Lion (and incidently also own the Brasenose).

Since Adam and Karen( the previous landlords) left, the red lion has gone totally downhill, every time I've walked past over the past year or two it's been nearly empty. Tis a shame, it used to be a cracking pub.

I think most boaters and locals favour the brazenose nowadays

We passed through Cropredy a week past Sunday, headed up to the Red Lion for a meal about 6 after seeing the lockside board, bought our drinks and asked about food only to be told they don't do food Sunday evening. Maybe its just a ploy to sell a few more pints after enticing passers by in.

Left after one drink and went to the Brasenose instead, had a good meal and a few more pints, I reckon the Red Lion lost out on £40 / £50 that evening just from us.

It's funny isn't it? How folk do differ. (and Landlords ! )

I have always found the Red Lion very hospitable and the Braesnose impersonal/generic.

ahh well …

Edit...

I always get the asking for food question in BEFORE ordering a pint btw.

Edited by BD3Bill

I was picking a boat up there earlier this year, wanted to eat before I set off, went down the village and to the red lion first, about 5pm, saw a hand written a4 sheet that said

NO FOOD AFTER 6PM THIS EVENING

I went in and said, do you have a menu....

We arent doing food today, didn;t you see the signs outside?

I wouldn;t bother going back, ever.

I was picking a boat up there earlier this year, wanted to eat before I set off, went down the village and to the red lion first, about 5pm, saw a hand written a4 sheet that said

NO FOOD AFTER 6PM THIS EVENING

I went in and said, do you have a menu....

We arent doing food today, didn;t you see the signs outside?

I wouldn;t bother going back, ever.

I'm impressed you managed to find the place open at all. This is the main problem I have with drinking in there.

MtB

I've had that too!

AND...

Arriving there during normal opening hours to find the place shut and locked up.

I have no idea why I keep going there.

Actually, yes I have. It's that £20 note effect I mentioned earlier!

MtB

Same experience for us earlier in the year. Brasenose benfitted and were v helpful, albeit a bit quirky!

• Greenie 1

The first time I went in the Red Lion (about ten years ago), I had possibly the best sandwich lunch and pint or three I have ever had.

MtB

P.S. I hear the Brasenose now has a new landlord. I'm surprised at the Aussies (or were they kiwis?) seemed to be making a good fist of running it.

Really?

The family was South African and took over from Alan who had been there some five or six years and who had built the pub up well, including interior alterations and a good live music roster. They were there three weeks ago and were doing a lot of scrub-bashing in the back garden. If they have left it must have been recent and sudden.

Really?

The family was South African and took over from Alan who had been there some five or six years and who had built the pub up well, including interior alterations and a good live music roster. They were there three weeks ago and were doing a lot of scrub-bashing in the back garden. If they have left it must have been recent and sudden.

Greg told me this, weekend before last.

MtB