Continual cruising

Boston

Featured Posts

For somebody who joined the forum yesterday you seem to be very familiar with the traits of the various members.

Almost as if you are running a second account

For someone like you who has been a member for ages, you should know that everybody can read what's written on CWDF without the need to be a member.

Only if you want to participate, like giving someone an answer on a question, you have to be a member.

There's even a member that should know the answer on a repeatedly asked question, but doesn't want to share his knowledge.

To make it easier for you if you don't know who I'm thinking of, try looking in a mirror.

Peter.

Maybe like many and as I did for quite a time before joining he has followed the forum as a Guest

I read months on end without posting. It's more of a debating forum than a discussion forum for some members with many an innocent post being deliberately misconstrued for the sake of either taking the morale high ground or just for the devilment of it. Mostly I can't be bothered to word my posts carefully enough to withstand the scrutiny, and anyway I'm too broadminded to have a point I'd want to debate.

A great place for info though if you cut through the waffle.

Edited by boathunter
  • Greenie 1

I wonder if their advice would be to start gathering evidence of her cruising pattern, perhaps by taking photos

http://www.londonboaters.org/sites/default/files/2014-08-29_NBTA_places_press_release.doc

"The NBTA therefore recommends:

3. Although some might find it intrusive the NBTA strongly recommends keeping a written log including 12-digit grid references of each place moored, the date of arrival and the place name. These can be recorded using the GPS in a smart phone. This is extremely useful evidence for a defence."

http://www.londonboaters.org/sites/default/files/2014-08-29_NBTA_places_press_release.doc

"The NBTA therefore recommends:

3. Although some might find it intrusive the NBTA strongly recommends keeping a written log including 12-digit grid references of each place moored, the date of arrival and the place name. These can be recorded using the GPS in a smart phone. This is extremely useful evidence for a defence."

12 digits? Using unique grid references, that's 1 metre accuracy, which most GPS devices will not achieve. If there are the usual couple of letters in front, then it's 10cm accuracy.

Do different grid references count as different "places"? icecream.gifcheers.gif ?

2 letters and six digits should be accurate enough (a 100m square).

Iain

12 digits? Using unique grid references, that's 1 metre accuracy, which most GPS devices will not achieve. If there are the usual couple of letters in front, then it's 10cm accuracy.

Do different grid references count as different "places"? icecream.gifcheers.gif ?

2 letters and six digits should be accurate enough (a 100m square).

Iain

In a 12 figure NGR the first and seventh digit are instead of the prefix.

A conventional 6 figure with prefix reference could equally be written as 8 digits.

You are correct however that 12 digit is 1m accuracy.

Given that moving a boat 1m isn't (for the purposes that we are considering) movement at all I would suggest that a 100m reference is ok

Given that moving a boat 1m isn't (for the purposes that we are considering) movement at all I would suggest that a 100m reference is ok

And your evidence to back up your assertion??

Go on, tell us exactly how far we have to move to satisfy the board Dave. Share it with CRT and the courts too to make life easier for everyone.

• Greenie 1

The question is is it "Bona Fide Navigation" and that as they say is the question no one except a Judge can answer. Is the Mersey Ferry that just covers a 2 mile stretch of river every day backwards and forwards "Bona Fide Navagation"?

According to the Judge who presided over Geoff Mayers trial at Chester the answer to that is a most definite yes.

According to the Judge who presided over Geoff Mayers trial at Chester the answer to that is a most definite yes.

interpretation....I'd go along with that ....let me see 2 miles a crossing (how many trips a day?) lets say 10 yes that's fair 20 miles a day smile.png

The question is is it "Bona Fide Navigation" and that as they say is the question no one except a Judge can answer. Is the Mersey Ferry that just covers a 2 mile stretch of river every day backwards and forwards "Bona Fide Navagation"?

Personally amazed you've made a misunderstanding of the requirements. To quote the law:

the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances

I've highlighted the bit which you've overlooked - the requirement isn't just bona fide navigation. The Mersey Ferry (operator) bona fide navigates but doesn't satisfy the highlighted text.

Personally amazed you've made a misunderstanding of the requirements. To quote the law:

I've highlighted the bit which you've overlooked - the requirement isn't just bona fide navigation. The Mersey Ferry (operator) bona fide navigates but doesn't satisfy the highlighted text.

That byelaw doesn't apply to the Mersey

Richard

Of course he does . . . many times every day. . . Liverpool and Birkenhead are definitely two different places, even on C&RT's Maps.

My mistake did not realise it only crossed every 15 days sorry will try and research these things better

Hmm just to muddy the waters slightly, the Mersey Ferry would have a ' home mooring" when she remained overnight when not working........but as its not on CaRT waters its an odd point to discuss over!