Continual cruising

Boston

Featured Posts

No real luck involved - probably about only half the towpath moorings that CRT put up for auctions accept any bids, so there is a whole swathe of available tow-path moorings that nobody is apparently prepared to pay the "reserve" price for.

They may not be at locations people want, or for the right length boat, or at a price people are happy to pay, but overall there are constantly far more available than people want to bid on.

The problem with most is that they literally only do meet the "somewhere the boat can be moored part", but actually offer bugger all in terms of any facility or security. Most auctioned near where I live have nowhere you can park a car, for instance, and many are at remote locations where there is mainly nobody about, and hence the boats are easy targets.

I was making a comment on the fact that lots are getting removed. I know of about 15 that have gone on a 30 mile stretch of canal. So if that's the case for the whole network there's a lot not there anymore. As these generally provide a cheaper option than marinas, it's a shame they are going.

Regards kris

The suggestion was made that if boaters would record their movements (which is a reasonable enough thing to ask, given that it is for the boater to satisfy the board, so it IS their job), instead of stamping their feet and demanding that CRT do it for them, then CRT would be able to divert funds that they were spending on such activities into more useful things.

It is Parry's job to maximise the funds available to spend on the waterways.

Clearly there will be those of limited intelect who might suggest that the answer is to simply spend all the enforcement money on waterway maintenance. I had, perhaps unwisely, assumed that you had enough common sense to realise that if you don't spend any money on enforcement, compliance and income reduce year on year.

So, Parry is doing his job by spending money on enforcement, which maintains income. If boaters would act in such a way as to render in unnecessary to spend as much on enforcement, then money could be diverted.

Do you have difficulty getting the chip on your shoulder through a narrow lock?

I'm terribly sorry Dave, you're surely much more intelligent than I am, and it's probably because of that that I haven't got a clue of what you wrote.

Would you please be so kind to write again but this time try to understand that I'm not half (or maybe not even 1/10th) as good with words and their understanding than you, to give me a chance to understand what you wanted to say.

Thank you very much in advance,

Peter.

I was making a comment on the fact that lots are getting removed. I know of about 15 that have gone on a 30 mile stretch of canal. So if that's the case for the whole network there's a lot not there anymore. As these generally provide a cheaper option than marinas, it's a shame they are going.

Regards kris

The discussion often comes back to this;

"There aren't any moorings that I can afford (or that I would like), so I am forced to pretend to be a continuous cruiser"

It just doesn't wash.

People need to get their head around the fact that living on a boat is just like living in a house, in that it comes with a price tag. You can't simply decide that you will have what you want and that if that isn't within the funds that you have available, it is somebody else's problem.

• Greenie 3

Regards kris

Just to be clear, 15 individual moorings or 15 long term mooring sites?

"There aren't any moorings that I can afford (or that I would like), so I am forced to pretend to be a continuous cruiser"

It just doesn't wash.

People need to get their head around the fact that living on a boat is just like living in a house, in that it comes with a price tag. You can't simply decide that you will have what you want and that if that isn't within the funds that you have available, it is somebody else's problem.

You seem to be getting very angry, I don't see where in my post that I said anything about let people decide what they want or if they can't afford it say it's someone else problem.

I think you'll find that some of the first people to plead poverty when it comes to not doing something are CRT.

So it seems a shame that they are not maximising the revenue from the assets they have.

Alan I did say about and without going and counting the spaces I'd say between 12-15 spaces gone on that stretch.

Regards kris

You seem to be getting very angry, I don't see where in my post that I said anything about let people decide what they want or if they can't afford it say it's someone else problem.

I think you'll find that some of the first people to plead poverty when it comes to not doing something are CRT.

So it seems a shame that they are not maximising the revenue from the assets they have.

Alan I did say about and without going and counting the spaces I'd say between 12-15 spaces gone on that stretch.

Regards kris

No, I'm not getting angry.

They are maximising the revenue from the assets that they have.

The closure of on-line moorings is designed to maximise revenue, because they close one mooring for every 10 new marina moorings.

10 marina moorings give them the same income as 1 online mooring, and closing the online moorings helps to encourage the building of marinas.

Keeping moorings empty rather than lowering the price until people take them up prevents a collapse in mooring prices that would cost them money.

So it's the remit of CRT to create revenue for private companies is it?

I know for a fact there are not 150 new moorings on the stretch I'm talking about.

Maybe a collapse in marina mooring prices might not be a bad thing, they seem to be overpriced. Judging by the way with everyone who has one continually moan about the people who don't.

Regards kris

I know for a fact there are not 150 new moorings on the stretch I'm talking about.

Maybe a collapse in marina mooring prices might not be a bad thing, they seem to be overpriced. Judging by the way with everyone who has one continually moan about the people who don't.

Regards kris

frusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.gif

Regards kris

If, in creating revenue for private companies, they can secure revenue for themselves, and ensure that the private sector creates mooring provision at no cost to themselves, then yes it certainly is their remit.

The moorings lost and the marina are within an area, not on a particular stretch.

And as for a collapse in marina prices being a good thing, you clearly have no understanding of economics!

If marina prices colapse;

1) CRT Income falls, and licences increase

2) Marinas become a poor investment, and nobody will waste their money building them.

Do try to see beyond your own short term self interest.

It just doesn't wash.

....and you haven't grasped the fact some people are CC'ers because they prefer to continuously cruise...Why would anyone pay for a mooring they won't use? Does this compute?

....and you haven't grasped the fact some people are CC'ers because they prefer to continuously cruise...Why would anyone pay for a mooring they won't use? Does this compute?

No, I have grasped it amply, and am delighted that people wish to continuously cruise.

We aren't talking about people who do so.

We are talking about people who CLAIM to do so, but in actual fact only move their boat the absolute minimum that they think they can get away with. If CRT said "we will stop enforcing a requirement to move", they would never move again.

And for the vast majority that is true.

The issue lies with the minority who claim to CC but in actual fact have no interest in cruising their boats and have ties to a given location. These are the people that see CCing as the cheap option rather than having a mooring yet complain when they are expected to move their boats.

If marina prices collapse stopped all the people in marinas moaning about the people not. It would be worth the loss in revenue.

Some peoples argument seems to be I pay x amount so everybody should pay the same. They seem to forget that lots of this money goes to private marina owners. I suggest if you think your paying too much, give up your mooring and become a continous cruiser. As naughty cal is going to do. I mean you have the option.

If marina prices collapse stopped all the people in marinas moaning about the people not. It would be worth the loss in revenue.

Some peoples argument seems to be I pay x amount so everybody should pay the same. They seem to forget that lots of this money goes to private marina owners. I suggest if you think your paying too much, give up your mooring and become a continous cruiser. As naughty cal is going to do. I mean you have the option.

I take it you would be willing to pay the huge hike in licence fee to cover this lost revenue?

I think you are underestimating how much private marinas pay into CRT coffers.

This has been my argument all along...we all make our life choices so let's just respect each others decisions. I know a lot of this is targeted at the piss takers, fair enough but there are piss takers at all levels of boater....CC'ers do seem to get more than their fair share...(look I've started ranting again....).

I'll say it again. if you think CC'ers get such a great deal, become one like NC...

I have NEVER seen a post on this forum objecting to continuous cruisers.

I was lucky enough to have a couple of years cruising the system and I would dearly love to be able to spend a couple more exploring the bits I missed

and like probably a good percentage of boaters I envy those who are able to.

However I have a objection to people using the CC guise to shuffle around the smallest area of canal they can, rather than get the mooring they should have

If op has a bike and a vehichle to get to work then why not do the MTB style of boating but visiting different neighbourhoods for example A Kidlington B Kirtlington C Lower Heyford D Somerton E Aynho F Banbury maybe even further up the Oxford .

That is how some people like to boat and is surely along the lines of the K&A trial.

Just a thought.

I take it you would be willing to pay the huge hike in licence fee to cover this lost revenue?

I think you are underestimating how much private marinas pay into CRT coffers.

Interesting I have looked at CRT'S accounts trying to find that but could not could you give me the figures for the 10 months 2012/13 and the full year 2013/14 thank you in advance it will heilp me greatly for the figures I am putting together for a meeting Edited by cotswoldsman

If op has a bike and a vehichle to get to work then why not do the MTB style of boating but visiting different neighbourhoods for example A Kidlington B Kirtlington C Lower Heyford D Somerton E Aynho F Banbury maybe even further up the Oxford .

That is how some people like to boat and is surely along the lines of the K&A trial.

Just a thought.

Because - apparently - the C&RT Enforcement / Patrol Officer has told him/her that if they take pictures to prove movement, then a 36 week shuffle over 18 miles is sufficient - there is no need to go further.

The OP's complaint is that they have to take pictures - harrasment !!!!

Because - apparently - the C&RT Enforcement / Patrol Officer has told him/her that if they take pictures to prove movement, then a 36 week shuffle over 18 miles is sufficient - there is no need to go further.

The OP's complaint is that they have to take pictures - harrasment !!!!

Obviously another case of CRT being bullies laugh.png

<tongue firmly in cheek>

sorry i forget that you have to put a smiley face on to indicate humour on this forum. The option of having a mooring or not is open to every boater. So make the choice that suits you and your lifestyle ,and be happy in it. But dont moan about people that make different choices.

ps im not condoning pisstakers

regards kris

by the way nc i cant find the exact amount private marinas contribute to crt either so if you could provide the link it would be good.bwml contributed 6.6 million.

Edited by kris88

I have NEVER seen a post on this forum objecting to continuous cruisers.

I was lucky enough to have a couple of years cruising the system and I would dearly love to be able to spend a couple more exploring the bits I missed

and like probably a good percentage of boaters I envy those who are able to.

However I have a objection to people using the CC guise to shuffle around the smallest area of canal they can, rather than get the mooring they should have

...fair point...it is people who hide under the CC'er guise who give us a bad name...

angry.png I am contemplating 6 months boating next summer at a very steady single handed pace stopping and exploring lots of neighbourhoods .Obvious option is not to pay marina for 6 months of no use but then do I have to become a CCer licence holder until I am back in a marina in 6 months time.
Now if I pay for marina then CCer rule will not apply and I will not be in danger of being persecuted.
Oh what a complicated world this boating is help.gif