Continual cruising

Boston

Featured Posts

They portray it as a huge problem, but in reality I think they blow it up out of all proportion as one way to divert attention from their miserable failure as a Navigation Authority.

So there is no problem anywhere, then?

Change the record, Tony!

I think it is reasonable for the OP to expect an Enforcement Officer to know the official policy on 'how far is enough'

They haven't got an official policy . . . they make up rules and pseudo legal requirements as they go along and as they need them.

So is the OP the enemy of boaters who are perfectly complaint with CRT rules either as continuous cruisers progressing all over the system or as boaters with home moorings? Is she getting in everyone's way with her cruising pattern causing untold problems for the rest of us or is she just someone living her life the best she can?

As I see it if she's causing no problems with this cruising pattern CRT should leave her alone to live her life and do something bloody useful.

Edited by Sabcat
  • Greenie 1

So there is no problem anywhere, then?

Change the record, Tony!

Your words, not mine . . . but stick at it . . . I'm sure that one day you'll manage to respond to a Post without misquoting or distorting what's been said.

So is the OP the enemy of boaters who are perfectly complaint with CRT rules either as continuous cruisers progressing all over the system or as boaters with home moorings? Is she getting in everyone's way with her cruising pattern causing untold problems for the rest of us or is she just someone living her life the best she can?

As I see it if she's causing no problems with this cruising pattern CRT should leave her alone to live her life and do something bloody useful.

No, she certainly isn't . . . and I sincerely hope that she doesn't become one of their targets selected to be made an example of in order to frighten others into complying with their "make it up as you go along " rulebook.

Don't you think C&RT should be doing that anyway . . . it's called getting priorities in order.

My point was that I don't believe C&RT should be using their resources hounding boaters who are on the verge of compliance with the regulations. It is clearly stated that it is the boater's responsibility to demonstrate their cruising pattern.

The OP stated that she found it unfair (I think she used the word harassment) that she had to demonstrate her cruising pattern. I am suggesting that in doing so she would in fact divert C&RT's resources into things more useful and beneficial to us all.

My point was that I don't believe C&RT should be using their resources hounding boaters who are on the verge of compliance with the regulations. It is clearly stated that it is the boater's responsibility to demonstrate their cruising pattern.

The OP stated that she found it unfair (I think she used the word harassment) that she had to demonstrate her cruising pattern. I am suggesting that in doing so she would in fact divert C&RT's resources into things more useful and beneficial to us all.

Or CRT could just wind their necks in and stop looking for problems that don't exist and deploy the resources themselves.

• Greenie 1

It shouldn't be necessary for a boater to do that . . . it's Parry's job.

Nail, head, hit. The OP is staying in one particular area due to work commitments and seeking to move the minimum to stay within the law. Davies to a tee and not bona fide by that standard.

Agreed. There are rules. Do your best to subvert them, and you can expect to be challenged. Don't like it? Get off the waterways, which are designed and administered for boats and boaters to move around the country, not for providing a basis for cheaper housing in the area in which you work.

• Greenie 2

No....

"The whole concept of a CCer having 'an area' contradicts your concept of CCing."

which is why this debate will never be settled on here, even when we get to the one thousandth new thread started on the topic.

I generally no longer get involved, but would remind you yet again, that whatever you want the rules to be, the actual requirement in law is only to satisfy "bona fide for navigation" - nothing more, nothing less.

The issue, as ever remains as interpreting what that means, but it is hard to see OP is not satisfying it, I think - or at least based on their description of their cruising pattern.

I have to go to bed now otherwise I won't get up for work tomorrow, so I'll have to stop at this point in the thread and say ...

WOT HE SAID!

We've cc'd for 5 years now, and have come nowhere near covering the amount of the system that Cotswoldman has but done a fair bit. In that time we've sometimes ambled in an area we particularly like, stretching the cc rules to their limits. I'm quite proud of the fact that last year we spent one month on the Middlewich Branch of the Shroppie - all total legitimate stays, not because we were freeloaders taking the piss but because it's a lovely place to be and we wanted to make the most of it. In the winter I have to work and most of the time we've decided that we have enough of a cruising range to satisfy the rules, not because of some wonton need to freeload but because we genuinely love living on the cut. We're in a marina now because I needed to work the summer this year and we decided the downside of being in a marina was outweighed by the convenience - it really is very hard work ccing when you're working. Those that think it's the easy option are so wrong.

This is our home, our way of life. I object to anyone setting down in stone how many miles we should do each year to qualify as ccers - we choose not to have a home mooring because we don't want one and don't need one - in fact it would be stupid to pay for one because we don't want to stay in one area for more than a few months.

If one year we need to shuttle back and forth through 20 miles of canal I certainly won't be feeling guilty - I'm sure they'll be plenty of places along the way to make that legitimate.

This view that some have of to be a "genuine" ccer you have to be retired, have no kids and visit the system far and wide bears no relation to the actual legislation and guidelines.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 2

I still think CRT are using this forum to generate self policing...and it's working....fear works even when CRT lose in court to eloquent and well read individuals (especially so).....I very much doubt they will pick on the increasing number of small live aboard communities I see building up because that will draw in the general publics imagination....The escapist Plan B lifestyle is all that keeps some going in a increasingly crap Plan A lifestyle ....take that away from everyone and watch what happens....

I have to go to bed now otherwise I won't get up for work tomorrow, so I'll have to stop at this point in the thread and say ...

WOT HE SAID!

We've cc'd for 5 years now, and have come nowhere near covering the amount of the system that Cotswoldman has but done a fair bit. In that time we've sometimes ambled in an area we particularly like, stretching the cc rules to their limits. I'm quite proud of the fact that last year we spent one month on the Middlewich Branch of the Shroppie - all total legitimate stays, not because we were freeloaders taking the piss but because it's a lovely place to be and we wanted to make the most of it. In the winter I have to work and most of the time we've decided that we have enough of a cruising range to satisfy the rules, not because of some wonton need to freeload but because we genuinely love living on the cut. We're in a marina now because I needed to work the summer this year and we decided the downside of being in a marina was outweighed by the convenience - it really is very hard work ccing when you're working. Those that think it's the easy option are so wrong.

This is our home, our way of life. I object to anyone setting down in stone how many miles we should do each year to qualify as ccers - we choose not to have a home mooring because we don't want one and don't need one - in fact it would be stupid to pay for one because we don't want to stay in one area for more than a few months.

If one year we need to shuttle back and forth through 20 miles of canal I certainly won't be feeling guilty - I'm sure they'll be plenty of places along the way to make that legitimate.

Would you pay more to maintain this freedom? Would you favour the equalisation of CaRT charges between all boaters?

Edited by homer2911

Anyway getting back to ME. I am moving the appropriate distance, but 18 miles isn't a long distance and only being able to moor for 14 days per place its inevitable the warden will see me at the same places at least 3 times per yr, they really need to put a new system in place because this is harassment

Have you read the cart downloadable guidance for cc-ing?

If not, why not?

If yes, why do:

A - you think you are wronged?

B - you think proving your risible 18 mile radius by taking a few photos is worth winging about?

Seems to me you are lucky to get such a concession whilst the rest of us pay for moorings.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 3

I agree. I'm very close to giving up my £3k a year home mooring as I cruise FAR more this just on the Oxford!

MtB

I think I might join you. Why pay £1.5k a year when shuffling just 18 miles is deemed acceptable by CRT?

We do more than 18 miles some evenings after work!

Would you pay more to maintain this freedom? Would you favour the equalisation of CaRT charges between all boaters?

By equalisation I presume you mean CRT should stop charging by the foot so people with small boats pay the same as those with say 70ft boats because as far as i am aware otherwise the charges are equal per meter

Edited by cotswoldsman

I think I might join you. Why pay £1.5k a year when shuffling just 18 miles is deemed acceptable by CRT?

We do more than 18 miles some evenings after work!

Indeed, but instead of paying £3k per year you will have to take a few images for proof. Are you sure you can cope?