Continual cruising

Boston

Featured Posts

No-one has mentioned the corollary to this buffoonery- that the enforcement appears to be entirely random and no boater is going to have respect for a system that arbitrarily picks on one boater whilst leaving some obvious non-compliant boats alone. The waterways can only be policed by consent and respect based on perceived fairness is essential to this.

For me, this is a very serious and important point. As you say, this can only be policed by consent, there is a perception that the system is chaotic and inconsistent, and that some targets are 'easier' than other ones. This system really needs to be knocked into shape

I'd prefer it if some of the new rules were relaxed, like the short term moorings and repeat visit stuff at Stoke Bruerne (and elsewhere), and the basic rules were not only consistently applied but clearly and visibly done too

Richard

Alf Roberts, on 03 Oct 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

As I suggested (in a similar thread about a year ago), the answer is to take a picture of your boat, with an identifiable, fixed, object in the background and todays paper (showing date) in the foreground,

Edit - obviously not "today's" paper for every photo, but a newspaper dated on the day of the photo's

Exactly. I agree with Naighty Cal, why should she pay for her marina mooring when she can just leave her boat by the towpath for free.

I look forward to hearing her experiences.

You can follow them next week in the Holidays section. We are having a week on the Trent next week and will be leaving Cal tied to the towpath/river bank on a regular basis rolleyes.gif

Where the OP was (within 18 miles or 100 miles) they are still somewhere.

To turn it around are you happy to stamp your feet and demand CRT chases him up and down the Oxford canal to absolutely no effect?

You are missing the point by a country (18) mile!

The "they have to be somewhere" argument is one that I have seen before, and leads into "it is actually better if they don't move because it stops the canal being busy".

If somebody wants to stay in the same place, there is a way of doing so. It is called "get a mooring"

It isn't sustainable for everybody who wants to not pay for a mooring to simply move to the towpath and make token movements. The right to licence without a home mooring carries an obligation to engage in Bona fide navigation. The two come together.

So, CRT don't actually want to chase people up and down the canal. They want those people who have no intention of engaging in Bona Fide Navigation to drop the pretence and get a mooring.

• Greenie 1

I agree with Richard , in my view we need to get back to basics and give the vast number of boaters the credit of being able to self police themselves without feeling spied upon.

Denise Yelland head of enforcement told me recently that they are confident that they cover the vast majority if not all the system every 2 weeks through data loggers. There is no excuse therefore not to identify boats that are not moving , if CRT believe they can choose not to relicense boats that don't 'bona fide' navigate enough then the patrol officers should focus on, visiting and recording those boats that have been logged as not moving and give notice of license removal. the numbers I imagine are small but it will send a much clearer message than the mixed messages that are being given at the moment.

For me, this is a very serious and important point. As you say, this can only be policed by consent, there is a perception that the system is chaotic and inconsistent, and that some targets are 'easier' than other ones. This system really needs to be knocked into shape

I'd prefer it if some of the new rules were relaxed, like the short term moorings and repeat visit stuff at Stoke Bruerne (and elsewhere), and the basic rules were not only consistently applied but clearly and visibly done too

Richard

Yes Richard I agree get the basics right before setting off on a mission to make boating complicated.

As I suggested (in a similar thread about a year ago), the answer is to take a picture of your boat, with an identifiable, fixed, object in the background and todays paper (showing date) in the foreground,

Edit - obviously not "today's" paper for every photo, but a newspaper dated on the day of the photo's

I don't buy any newspaper.

It would be interesting to know the figures for new boat owners. I wonder what proportion are now taking a CC license, and how this has changed in, say, ten years

My impression based on my conversations with new boaters is that the CC license is now becoming very popular as young people look to the canals to solve the problems of the housing industry

Richard

It would be interesting to know the figures for new boat owners. I wonder what proportion are now taking a CC license, and how this has changed in, say, ten years

My impression based on my conversations with new boaters is that the CC license is now becoming very popular as young people look to the canals to solve the problems of the housing industry

Richard

Perhaps CRT should consider not allowing anymore new applications for CC licences for a set period.

According to the poster I replied to, I do.

He never mentioned buying one.

Richard

Do you think there will ever be any agreement between those and the relatively wealthy retired boaters?

He never mentioned buying one.

I don't steal. If that's how you want to behave once you're out of your marina that's up to you but I won't go down that route.

Perhaps CRT should consider not allowing anymore new applications for CC licences for a set period.

They do not have the statutory powers that would allow them to do this, (however much they might prefer it to be otherwise!).

We've cc'd for 5 years now, and have come nowhere near covering the amount of the system that Cotswoldman has but done a fair bit. In that time we've sometimes ambled in an area we particularly like, stretching the cc rules to their limits. I'm quite proud of the fact that last year we spent one month on the Middlewich Branch of the Shroppie - all total legitimate stays, not because we were freeloaders taking the piss but because it's a lovely place to be and we wanted to make the most of it.

Which is as it should be.

You have an overall pattern of movement from place to place, and from time to time your movement is less to enjoy an area, then you move on again.

No issue with that, but those who do push it, and cruise up and down the same 18 miles for years on end are the ones that will push CRT towards more prescriptive rules that may catch legitimate patterns like that as collateral damage

Could you give me an example of this incredibly complicated piece of photographic composition.

Do you think there will ever be any agreement between those and the relatively wealthy retired boaters?

I don't understand your point. I frequently meet cheap boats with three or four young people on board. They have bought the boat in the last few weeks and are off to London or Oxford where they will CC. They do this because housing costs are infeasibly high in those areas

I don't believe the CC license was intended for that purpose.

Where do 'relatively wealthy retired boaters' fit into that?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

So, CRT don't actually want to chase people up and down the canal. They want those people who have no intention of engaging in Bona Fide Navigation to drop the pretence and get a mooring.

But, but, Sir - if i pay for a mooring it is no longer a cheap way of living in an area that I cannot afford to live in, and my kids go to the local school, and you cannot deprive me of the opportunty to work ................

It shouldn't be necessary for a boater to do that . . . it's Parry's job.

Actually, it isn't.

The 1995 Act is clear that the Boater must Satisfy the Board, so there we have it in black and white, it ISN'T Parry's job.