Continual cruising

Boston

Featured Posts

After receiving a second inappropriate patrol notice I found out that this was due to the warden's patrol range being limited and in order to stop being harassed by Canal & River Trust I had to take a photo of every place I moored to prove I was moving the required distance. Surely this isn't right?

After receiving a second inappropriate patrol notice I found out that this was due to the warden's patrol range being limited and in order to stop being harassed by Canal & River Trust I had to take a photo of every place I moored to prove I was moving the required distance. Surely this isn't right?

They are getting keen I thought a LOG was enough? My friend just puts in her diary where she is and the engine hours when she gets there

Peter

Did they tell you when the camera would arrive? This is getting ridiculous and is starting to show a hounding of CCers by CRT

Don't understand the bit about "wardens range" but anyway how else do you easily prove you are cruising just on the right side of the guidelines?

Yes I know CRT seem to think on the basis of guilty until proven innocent. Never thought I would say this but come back BW the continual hounding of CCers show a very anti cc'ers thinking within CRT

By moving and being spotted in the next place by same or different patrol person .

Said patrol person should be given a cottage and responsibility for a length of canal.

Oh did we use to have that .

There is no distance requirement - so its unlikely that's what they told you.....

A log ought to be enough with miles covered and engine hour readings etc. If they don't believe you that's tough. They are being silly and unreasonable. Furthermore they should be providing a log book or a camera if that's what they want. Maybe they will provide a tachograph as well as a gps tracker.

Edited by bigste

Did they tell you when the camera would arrive? This is getting ridiculous and is starting to show a hounding of CCers by CRT

Yes I know CRT seem to think on the basis of guilty until proven innocent. Never thought I would say this but come back BW the continual hounding of CCers show a very anti cc'ers thinking within CRT

surely if patroller has a limited range then boat has been reported as not moving very far or are patrollers being over zealous and posting before 2 weeks are up ?

I wouldn't mind so much but there is one particular blue boat that is permanently moored at Pigeon Lock in Kirtlington, (where there is no permanent mooring) C&RT are aware of him and by their own admission never gets a petrol notice and according to him the warden just leaves him alone, and when I ask C&RT if I can have the same mooring arrangements as he has I'm told no and if I do as he does I WILL get petrol notices.

From my understanding you just have to show that you are moving from A-B-C-D......rather than just A-B-A-B..... Should not a diary / Log showing your moorings and engines hours be sufficient?

or am I thinking too simplistic.....help.gif

'Harassed' or being subjected to legitimate checks to ensure that you comply with the conditions of your licence?

• Greenie 1

According to C&RT I should be moving 18 miles which I do, but obviously when I turn around and head back down the canal I inevitable moor within the wardens range and as far as they are concerned that’s the only places " they ever see me moored at" their words. Coming back to my boat and finding patrol notices stuck to it is very distressing especially as they always include information on what they will do if I do not comply with their rules and they have to crane my boat out of the water.

I have just been south of Banbury and spoken to some of the boaters who for various reasons live aboard and cruise at fortnightly intervals to different moorings.

These boaters have been doing this for a long while and do not sit on visitor moorings but tend to be more countryside moorer's.

These are the people that get hounded whilst others are permanently moored and even with no licence are not reported probably invisible to CRT

Well you must be hanging around in the same place a lot for the same warden to keep seeing you.

Does this make you a piss taker in spirit if not in letter? Just asking, not accusing.

MtB

I'd find it easier to take a pic then keep a paper log, the phone is always in my pocket and will gps tag the pic.

What's your cruising pattern, are you progressing in one direction or staying within one area, do the new parish (or whatever they are called) maps not help?

I wouldn't mind so much but there is one particular blue boat that is permanently moored at Pigeon Lock in Kirtlington, (where there is no permanent mooring) C&RT are aware of him and by their own admission never gets a petrol notice and according to him the warden just leaves him alone, and when I ask C&RT if I can have the same mooring arrangements as he has I'm told no and if I do as he does I WILL get petrol notices.

Yes I've noticed this too, and I don't know how or why he gets away with it.

But the usual suspects here are likely to point out, that's between them and CRT. None of your or my business!

MtB

But the usual suspects here are likely to point out, that's between them and CRT. None of your or my business!

MtB

If you ever do find out about these unusual arrangements, they generally turn out to have very sensible reasons. The last one I came across was due to illness and hospital visits.

I notice the police work in the same way - you get booked for speeding even if you point out 'that bloke was going faster than me!'

Richard

I'd find it easier to take a pic then keep a paper log, the phone is always in my pocket and will gps tag the pic.

What's your cruising pattern, are you progressing in one direction or staying within one area, do the new parish (or whatever they are called) maps not help?

There ARE no 'new parish maps'. This myth really needs stamping out.

They are just an idea at the moment, still being kicked around within CRT. Still at the 'just an idea' stage unless you can show otherwise.

The link was published illegally and has not been adopted as official policy.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Boston, on 02 Oct 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

According to C&RT I should be moving 18 miles which I do, but obviously when I turn around and head back down the canal I inevitable moor within the wardens range and as far as they are concerned that’s the only places " they ever see me moored at" their words. Coming back to my boat and finding patrol notices stuck to it is very distressing especially as they always include information on what they will do if I do not comply with their rules and they have to crane my boat out of the water.

So you are moored at point A, you move 2 weeks later 18 miles and arrive at point B, 2 weeks later you move 18 miles back to point A, 2 weeks later you move 18 miles to point B ...............ad-infinitum.

If this is your range of movements then it is unacceptable to C&RT and you will have 'enforcement' applied.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

They are just an idea at the moment, still being kicked around within CRT. Still at the 'just an idea' stage unless you can show otherwise.

MtB

Not only are they for 'discussion' - they no longer exist.

This was a development site that the Canal & River Trust were using to consult with national boating organisations over the concept of places and their associated maps. This consultation is continuing, but we no longer need to have the development site running and so it has been removed. We will, of course, share more information with our customers, and be happy to accept feedback, once our discussions with national boating organisations have concluded.

MtB

fairy nuff! my misunderstanding.

Was the link published illegally or was it just that Cart hadn't published it officially. Is it illegal to post links with out permission?

MtB

MtP

illegally? Anyone being prosecuted? The maps have been put on the backboiler