Wot roller?

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Not really but a long pile roller carries more paint and makes the job easier. It's good idea to use a roller attached to a pole. This enables you to use both hands and arms to apply pressure on the roller, making the job easier and reducing the need to bend when painting low down. You will also need to use a brush to reach the more awkward corners.

Does it matter if it's furry or smooth for applying bitumen paint to Snail's bottom?

i use these rollers toolstation decoroy 4" roller sleeves, they do not fall to pieces with bitumen. The 4inch roller code is 81477 a little more expensive but you will find they do not fall to bits . they are made for marine and solvents

Edited by Brin Morris

A 4" Harris varnishing roller, not as fluffy as the emulsion roller and slightly more fluffy than a glossing roller, a happy medium, they are also good for applying non slip type paint evenly. Enjoy it what ever you chose

I always brush on and below the waterline. In my opinion unless you roll dead slowly over and over the same patch before moving on your likely to roll over all the pits and and dings trapping air in them if rolled too fast and to turn up next day when dry to find them all popped and needing brushing in. So if you do roll dead slowly you might as well brush it on and done with it because to do it properly it'll probobobably be quicker to brush and work the bitumen into the rough and pits in circular motions laying off downwards. You have to use a brush anyway along nooks and crannies and corners. Rolling above the waterline if the surface is smooth enough is ok, but I still use the brush there.

I always brush on and below the waterline. In my opinion unless you roll dead slowly over and over the same patch before moving on your likely to roll over all the pits and and dings trapping air in them if rolled too fast and to turn up next day when dry to find them all popped and needing brushing in. So if you do roll dead slowly you might as well brush it on and done with it because to do it properly it'll probobobably be quicker to brush and work the bitumen into the rough and pits in circular motions laying off downwards. You have to use a brush anyway along nooks and crannies and corners. Rolling above the waterline if the surface is smooth enough is ok, but I still use the brush there.

I used a fence painting brush to good effect once. As you say, gets the stuff into the pitting (where it is needed.)

Having followed behind with a brush as the roller rolled over the lunar landscape that is now Snail's poor bottom,I now know you are right. Hoping finding the 12v leakage problem that appears to have caused the craters is going to be easier....

I tried the foam rollers and the blacking melted them, Comastic I think. The furry ones just disintegrate faster than a Dalek can see off an earthling so it's brush for me, however, when I've watched other people do it they seem to use a roller without a problem so it may just be me and my poundshop rollers.

K

After blacking quite a few boats at the boatyard, I decided that pitting in the layers of blacking was a pain in the posterior. Not only that, there's the possibility of moisture being trapped and the surface not drying properly before the first coat of blacking after the jetwash. Scraping back the surface to control the pitting is hard work the first time, but I think it is something I'll continue to do.

Apart from weld seams and around various bits of steel work, I hate brushing blacking and mainly use a fluffy roller for the open spaces. Once you keep on top of the pitting, it's a doddle...., nearly. Drop rollers and brushes into a bucket of water until the next coat to keep them supple.

Edited by Higgs