Any places to avoid mooring on the North Oxford

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hello

Is there anywhere we should avoid mooring on the North Oxford- I vaguely remember someone having things stolen near Rugby and someone said where it happened was a bit of a notorious area- but I can't find the link.

We like a mix of middle of nowhere and the odd night near a pub

Also- any good mooring and pub tips appreciated- I've read the tips on NickNormans thread as well

Many thanks

Jackie

I reckon the main problem areas are where the bank is sloping stone slabs, which someone must have thought were a good idea in the 1830s when the canal was shortened/straightened.

Rugby is good for shopping, and fine for overnight if you like mooring by a housing estate.

Anyway, good moorings:

* Willoughby wharf

* under Barby Hill - good brisk walk up the hill to the village

* the Royal Oak (?) I think, just south of Hillmorton locks

* below Hillmorton locks

* Newbold, I prefer just north of the Newbold arm (once you have gone past the sloping walls just north of the tunnel, there is a decent bank)

* where the road runs alongside the canal just south of Brinklow (worth walking to)

* Ansty, if you can find somewhere a reasonable distance from the M6/M69

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Brinklow was the place mentioned where thefts have been reported.

We sometimes moor at Newbold, if there is space between the long-term moorings and the tunnel - choice of two pubs (one simple and very welcoming, other looks like a 1950s guest house inside) within easy walking distance, and I seem to remember a small supermarket quite close too.

Edited by Athy

Brinklow was the place mentioned where thefts have been reported.

We sometimes moor at Newbold, if there is space between the long-term moorings and the tunnel - choice of two pubs (one simple and very welcoming, other looks like a 1950s guest house inside) within easy walking distance, and I seem to remember a small supermarket quite close too.

I moored at Newbold last month. The Barley Mow have bought The Boat and closed it down. Further along, past the Co-op, is the Crown. I wasn't impressed with either. The Co-op's a bit limited, too. Pity, I used to enjoy stopping at Newbold.

I moored at Newbold last month. The Barley Mow have bought The Boat and closed it down. Further along, past the Co-op, is the Crown. I wasn't impressed with either. The Co-op's a bit limited, too. Pity, I used to enjoy stopping at Newbold.

Oh dear, one less place to play Northamptonshire skittles. (Yes, I know Newbold is not in Northants).

Hi Jackie,

I liked the moorings at Ansty and Brinklow. Didn't have any problems at either location, that was around March/ April. Brinklow marina is only 10.00 per night if you don't want to risk the tow path in that area, amazingly quiet location.

Rob

So which pub is which? is it the plain simple one or the guesthousish mainly restaurant one which survives? I seem to recall that it was the Barley Mow which we liked.

Both are apparently on the old course of the canal before it was straightened out. I remember also seeing the entrance to the original tunnel, which is now in the churchyard.

Thanks Mac - it might be hard to find a waterways location where you have not moored and explored the pubs in the last year or so!

Despite what you say, both pubs are on the internet as being open. I think it's The Boat which we have been to in the past.

Makes sense - one is aiming at the hotel and upmarket dining clientele, the other at the pub and grub brigade (us), I suppose.

Is that the one that was offering boaters the hire of a bath.

I reckon the main problem areas are where the bank is sloping stone slabs, which someone must have thought were a good idea in the 1830s when the canal was shortened/straightened.

Rugby is good for shopping, and fine for overnight if you like mooring by a housing estate.

They weren't bothered about pulling in at 3 pm to moor for the night in those days.

Hello

Is there anywhere we should avoid mooring on the North Oxford- I vaguely remember someone having things stolen near Rugby and someone said where it happened was a bit of a notorious area- but I can't find the link.

We like a mix of middle of nowhere and the odd night near a pub

Also- any good mooring and pub tips appreciated- I've read the tips on NickNormans thread as well

Many thanks

Jackie

Being a local resident I regrettably can't recommend any of the pubs on the North Oxford except perhaps the Greyhound at Sutton Stop or the Rose Inn at Willoughby. I can however definitely recommend the Old Olive Bush at Flecknoe (Wed to Sun only for food) but both that and the Rose at Willoughby are about 20 minutes walk from the towpath. As for "in the middle of nowhere" my own favourite spot is just north of bridge 26 (Grimes Bridge) where you'll find a five boat length of steel shuttering on the outside of the bend and a 20 minute walk across field paths will bring you into the village of Brinklow where you'll find three pubs, a Post Office and General Store, a Fish and Chip Shop, a Chinese Takeaway and a Deli/Cafe. As for Scholar Gypsy's recommendation of "where the road runs alongside the canal just south of Brinklow" I have it on good authority that this spot is fast becoming the dogging centre of North Warwickshire so your sleep may well be disturbed by flashing headlights.

Being a local resident I regrettably can't recommend any of the pubs on the North Oxford except perhaps the Greyhound at Sutton Stop.

We had dinner there recently. It fell just short of excellent but was certainly very good. The service and staff attitude did come up to the "excellent" level.

The Barley Mow told us last week they intend to keep both open as pubs, with the Boat being a basic pub with beer, pub grub, and sport on the TV. It will also be used as the function room for the Barley Mow which will cater for more up-market pub customers as well as retaining the restaurant

Being a local resident ..... . As for Scholar Gypsy's recommendation of "where the road runs alongside the canal just south of Brinklow" I have it on good authority that this spot is fast becoming the dogging centre of North Warwickshire so your sleep may well be disturbed by flashing headlights.

Oops - sorry for duff advice.

Maybe not a good place to put a teapot on the roof (see thread here)....

The Barley Mow told us last week they intend to keep both open as pubs, with the Boat being a basic pub with beer, pub grub, and sport on the TV. It will also be used as the function room for the Barley Mow which will cater for more up-market pub customers as well as retaining the restaurant

The Boat is no longer The Boat. There is no indication that it was once a separate pub. It is now The Barley Barn, describing itself as a 'function suite'. It was not functioning when I was there. My observation was a direct quote from a local resident, who seemed quite aggrieved!

I have't been for more than 10 years but i rember a golf course with an old viaduct over it. A friend had his solar panel smashed by a golf ball. On the other hand I was moored there once and there was a splash behind me, too big to be a ball. Odd. Then a couple of golfers came and told me that he had thrown his club in frustration after a bad shot. £20 if I pulled it out.

I got it with the magnet :)

The golf course was between Hillmorton and Rugby iirc

The Boat is no longer The Boat. There is no indication that it was once a separate pub. It is now The Barley Barn, describing itself as a 'function suite'. It was not functioning when I was there. My observation was a direct quote from a local resident, who seemed quite aggrieved!

I was merely quoting what the owner/landlord told me last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- Thanks for all the tips- we've had a fantastic week away and wasn't the weather kind to us?

We stopped at the Barley Mow which looks likes it's been recently refurbed and had a good Sunday carvery. I couldn't really see evidence of another pub- although there was a door with a private function sign, so guess that was it. They do hire a bathroom out and according to Gary-there's also a full size piano in the gents loos- intriguing??. Service was really friendly as well- the only negative is that we stopped on the way back and despite a prominent sign outside saying "All day Food"- there wasn't. They also offer accomodation and a laundry service.

We ate twice at the Greyhound at Hawkesbury junction- we loved the pub and the food and service were very good- and we saw Ray T and Millie.

At Braunston- we tried the canalside Marstons pub-It says everything that I can't remember the name- mind you at least with Marstons pubs, you dont feel you're overcharged for the food- it was fine for a snack lunch. We did have a bit of an experience- we couldnt take the dog in-and sat outside, but they had a sign saying they weren't serving food outside, so when I asked why- was told it was because it might rain and everyone would come in (it didn't). It was ok though- when I asked if we could take the dog in if it rained- they quickly agreed to bring food out. It also has a no smoking garden??

We saw kingfishers- one on the bow Tbar of our boat when we got up and a pack of hound dogs one morning came charging into the canal- we shut the doors quickly (That was probably the closest we came to a dogging spot- mentioned earlier in the thread)!!

Oh- and Gary was mesmerised by Charity Dock- Has anyone ever been and can you get in / around it?

Worst bit- the Ladies stocking around the prop after Nuneaton- but given all the rubbish around there, a stocking was probably the best we could expect

Thanks again for all the tips

Jackie

We always preferred the Boat (next building in from the Barley Mow) they used to have a wicked skittles team. But to be fair Barley Mow was very friendly when we stopped a couple of times earlier this year. I believe the Boat went through several landlords opening and closing so the the locals migrated next door .