What do I want for my birthday?

drverbrian

Featured Posts

So earlier in the year I come home to announce we need to talk. After much disscusion we agree yes it would be a good idea to live on a boat. Son has had a liveaboard for a couple of years, so not going into this with completely rose tinted spectacles. We have got as far as begining the clearout of the house, doing jobs that have needed doing for ages, etc. Finances dictate that we will be seriously looking December/January. Then a birthday rears its head and the usual" What do you want for your birthday?" question. Well after suggesting 2 way radios, they seem to be very useful at locks etc, I not only cant think of anything I want or need, I am trying to delicately explain that we are trying to clear out not collect more.

We have been married with our own house for many years so really do have everything we need, even if we were to buy a completely empty boat, unless of course you know better.

Over to the rest of you for ideas of things I may not have thought of, but will be useful in our new life afloat!

What worries me is that Christmas is likely to come round before we are afloat and we will have the Same problem, so help, PLEASE!!

Just as an aside, I dont usualy wish my life away but cant wait for next year to come around!

If you frequent this forum you will note endless threads about batteries and the charging thereof. Typically a poster will ask why his batteries are not performing as expected. The forum then has to ask "what is the charging current, voltage etc" to which the answer is "no idea!". Eventually the poster is persuaded to get some measuring devices and these are typically 1/ a DC clamp meter such as UNIT UT-203, for measuring large currents as well as voltage, and 2/ a state of charge meter such as a Smartgauge. So one or preferably both these things are my suggestion. Or of course you could just give up with batteries straight away and get the item in post #5.

An exceptionally good torch. 12v power lead for your laptop, or a tablet would be even better. Canal guides perhaps? A special tiller pin. Seriously antislip shoes, a good windlass, mooring equipment like chains etc, a strong magnet, a crate of wine/beer/whisky, a winters supply of fuel, an ecofan, solar panel, a float key ring (for the stingy) a hot water bottle (for those who think you'll be cold in the winter), new ropes, spare fenders, USB cigarette lighter socket plug ins, a companion set, rechargeable batteries, a hat.............

So it goes on.....

And on.......

Meanwhile, get rid of everything not on the needed list!

Good luck with it!

When you have a boat the one thing you need more than anything else is cash, money to maintain your dream and your dream-boat! It may be that the boat you buy will already have all you practically need; windlasses, toolkit, Sea-searcher magnet, even painted water cans etc. etc. My mother-in-law and other 'friends' and relations insisted on giving us tatty painted 'canalware', nautical tea-towels, cooking at sea recipe books etc! As your son is a boater you may not need a week's hire or a training course.

So, something inexpensive that you will be pleased to keep on your boat or that will keep your dream alive. e.g. a personal tiller pin, maybe a small canal scene, photograph or painting.

Best of all, books! LTC (Tom) Rolt (e.g. 'Narrow Boat'), David Blagrove (books and music), Susan Woolfit (Idle Women) and others will pass many a winter evening and increase your enthusiasm and understanding of the history of our canals and their restoration. Jake Kavanagh, 'The Ups and Downs of a Lock Keeper is amusing as is Jeff Dray 'The Art of Coarse Boating'. Canal guides and maps, even out of press books like the tome 'The Shell Guide to the Canals' and even older (Victorian) 'Bradshaw's Canals and Navigable Rivers of England and Wales' may fascinate you.

More practically; Nigel Calder's 'Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual' will serve you well; Graham Booth's 'The Inland Boat Owner's Book' and 'The Narrowboat Builder's Book' are good guides to buying and maintaining a boat.

My apologies to the many authors who were welcome on my land-based bookshelf - there is limited room on a narrowboat.

Maybe a subscription to Waterways World. It was the only publication dedicated to our inland waterways when commerial carrying was common but you may prefer one of its competitors. Some of the articles are interesting and when you looking to buy there are plenty of boat ads to consider.

Alan

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If it's practical, rather than get stuff for your birthday, I'd suggest getting a ride out in your son's boat to a canalside pub for a birthday lunch. You won't know what boaty bits you need until you've bought your boat and lived on it for a while. Having said that, I do agree with nicknorman about the usefulness of a multimeter and smartgauge.

The wiring layout of 'Bimble Be' mean I can't use the clamp part of the meter, although all the other functions have been used at some point in the last 18months. I recently fitted a Smartgauge and use this to decide when I need to run the engine or plan a long trip to charge the batteries.

Rob

Electric-drill-pump - good for sucking out sludge from bottom of diesel tank, and water from living-quarters bilge.

Head lamp/torch - for working in engine room when pram cover on when raining (if engine at back), and for night driving.

Tool for removing moss/weeds from between paving stones - has a sharp blade-hook which is good for removing plastic bags wound round the propellor.

Big plastic boxes for coal (neater than bags) & firewood.

Stick for measuring how much fuel in tank.

CO alarm - make sure there's 4 years life remaining on it at time of purchase.

A good hat to keep the rain out of your face & stop it running down the back of your neck, & also to keep the sun out of your eyes. I'm still trying to convince someone to buy me 1 for my birthday, 7 days to go & it doesnt look like anyone is getting me one.
tricorn.jpg

How about a good sharp knife and wire cutters for if the prop gets fouled. Smoke alarm, a mifi for internet, a life ring, decent brushes for touching up paint, throw away brushes for nasty jobs, a dog, (that's not a serious gift idea) thermal waterproof trousers. Brasso.