Have you started your coal fire yet?

DeanS

Featured Posts

My elderberry wine did.....found some lost in the cupboard under the stairs (years ago when living in bricks and mortar) that was 8 years old, it was the finest tasting rocket fuel I ever producedwub.png ( It had been put away as undrinkable in the hopes that the booze faerie would work magic on it )

So is there hope yet for my 2012 elderflower wine, also kept in the cupboard under the stairs, which has been universally condemned as utterly undrinkable by all who have tried it? It could be OK round about 2020 then?

Last year I burn coal only, but this year I'd like to burn some wood as I like the smell of it.

I'm looking on ebay for getting seasoned logs delivered. My question is do I want hardwood or softwood?

Hardwood, nice dry hardwood, don't worry if they have rot in them, fruit woods are excellent avoid conifers if possible, they can leave major tar deposits in your flue.

Softwoods (generally) burn too quick, but sometimes you have to take what you can get!cheers.gif

So is there hope yet for my 2012 elderflower wine, also kept in the cupboard under the stairs, which has been universally condemned as utterly undrinkable by all who have tried it? It could be OK round about 2020 then?

its probably totally undrinkable forever...however could be marketed as environmentally friendly sink cleaner.

its probably totally undrinkable forever...however could be marketed as environmentally friendly sink cleaner.

Strange you should say that....my bullace wine could remove grease like magic (didn't do your throat a lot of good tho')

Just bought a bag of logs for the boat, and will get some later for my boat in Devon for tonight. Night heater in the truck has been used most mornings this week to warm up in the morning. Why be chilly if not necessary?

Unless you're from noocasle I suppose.

We have given in and lit the fire today for the first time this summer. Moored just below The Bratch, after an afternoon of sunshine and showers. It is amazing how comforting just a little fire is, to take the chill off, and cheer the soul. I suspect we will definitely light a fire to celebrate a typical Bank Holiday Monday, with forecasts of heavy rain all day!!

Last year I burn coal only, but this year I'd like to burn some wood as I like the smell of it.

I'm looking on ebay for getting seasoned logs delivered. My question is do I want hardwood or softwood?

We normally burn a mix, the softwood is often used first to get a good fire going and then hardwood, often a single piece of hardwood sat on a hot bed of coals will burn for ages with a nice level of heat given off, not too hot but warm enough.

Sometimes though it does depend on just what you can get.

07.00hrs, thermostat/timer looks at the temperature in the saloon. Too cold, those lazy toads in the cabin won't get up until it's warm. Click, brrrrrm, the central heating fires up, soon toasty and we can get up.

Bob

07.00hrs, thermostat/timer looks at the temperature in the saloon. Too cold, those lazy toads in the cabin won't get up until it's warm. Click, brrrrrm, the central heating fires up, soon toasty and we can get up.

Bob

PAH! new fangled gadgets

the wife was cold ,so I had to light it then had to open every door and window in the middle of the night because we were so hot even the dogs were panting

Our stove is an uncontrollable pot-bellied one. We're replacing it. Having said that, if we don't put coal - or wood - on, it can't overheat the boat...

Nonetheless, I've lit it a few times over the last couple of weeks: it's been cold 'o nights (and burnable waste mounts up)!

Now down to 1 bag of coal (plus wood), so I think I'll buy some more...

Roger (who likes temperatures between 25 and 30C)

Just lit the stove for the first time since May, as I guess many people have this dreich day. I burn only wood gathered as I travel, but have got out of the way of continually being on the lookout. I did discover the best kindling I've ever used, though - large dry pine cones gathered at Hartshill in June. They don't even produce any smoke. I wish I'd filled a sack -there were heaps of them.

Flue or Fuel?

Can't light a stove without either.

Flue - fuel would be quicker and easier to sort out smile.png

Back on the boat now and it's a bit chilly so we'll have to wrap up warm tonight.

After a fantastic run up the Humber and Trent early this morning we are now hunkered down in Saxilby in the wind and the rain beating down outside whilst we sit in the cockpit warm and dry with the heating on.

Thankfully the rain held off until we got to Torksey. Now enjoying a few beers before tonight's fish and chips.

Stove lit this evening......lovely. Staffordshire oatcakes and butter from Aldi here in Sandbach today. A shortish walk from our mooring in Wheelock. A nice surpise to find the oatcakes in Aldi.

Oatie biscuits are nice too. Aldi, Sainsbury's, Tesco.