Constant moorers leaving a mess

peterboat

Featured Posts

Juts one more thought to add to this learned discussion. How can a "Constant moorer" leave a mess? If they leave they are by definition no longer a "constant moorer" because they are not moored!

Mmmm. Interesting idea.

Assume canal is 10m wide and 2 deep so 20m squared in section, this gives 20 tonnes water per linear meter of canal.

To raise water temperature from ambient (say 10C) to 100 C needs 90*4.200 kJ/kg or 90*4200 kJ/Te or 378MJ/Te

To boil this water uses a lot more energy, 2256kJ/Kg or 2256MJ/Te so the total is 2634MJ/Te. With 20Te/meter that's 52680MJ/meter.

Macclesfield canal is approx 27 miles long but with 26 locks. Assume the nuclear boat only boiled off the pound he was in then the average pound is about a mile long or 1609 meters.

For this average pound (assuming no heat losses etc) then the energy required is at least 1609*52680 MJ or 84762120MJ or 84.76TJ.

If the batteries took 2 hours to charge, then this work would be done at the rate of 84.76TJ in 2*3600 seconds, thus the power is 11.7 TW (Tera-Watts)

The latest style of pressurised water reactor gives 4500 MWt. or 4.5TW, thus it would take approx 3 of these reactors to do this in the time quoted.

To misquote Iain Banks that's some Feersum Endjinn!

Jonesthenukeclapping.gif

PS done in a rush so numbers may be approximate!

Edited to add, if the fuel rods are still there can I have them? (I really am taking this seriously (not))

Ive gone through all these calculations with interest but unfortunately ive spotted one glaring error. Can't see any displacement calculations for rubbish left behind by constant boaters i e three piece suites, fridges, shopping trollies, uranium enrichment rods etc etc. Must do better as my school report used to say icecream.gif

How much are the local scrappies paying for fuel grade uranium nowadays?

Its not the money, its very dense and thus makes good Ballast (and keeps you warm at the same time)biggrin.png

OK Jones,

What's a Te?

(Just gonna check your calculations!)

Sorry I used it to represent a metric tonne, approximately the weight of a cubic meter of pure water.

I fully accept that canal water is full of junk, but I think the dimensions used are generous enough to allow for these effects.

Nuclear reactor - Pah! I saw a boat with no hull moor up, fell and entire forest, stack it under the Pontcysyllte aqueduct, set fire to it to boil the water, run off enough for a single cup of tea and when they left they dropped the silver top of the milk bottle on the towpath

Bloody Hudson owners

Richard

That makes me feel better now, if this type of use of the aqueduct is occurring. When I was last there, all I did (for a laugh) was unbolt and remove this:

DSC_3412croppedandreduced_zpsff5e68a9.jp

Mmmm. Interesting idea.

Assume canal is 10m wide and 2 deep so 20m squared in section, this gives 20 tonnes water per linear meter of canal.

To raise water temperature from ambient (say 10C) to 100 C needs 90*4.200 kJ/kg or 90*4200 kJ/Te or 378MJ/Te

To boil this water uses a lot more energy, 2256kJ/Kg or 2256MJ/Te so the total is 2634MJ/Te. With 20Te/meter that's 52680MJ/meter.

Macclesfield canal is approx 27 miles long but with 26 locks. Assume the nuclear boat only boiled off the pound he was in then the average pound is about a mile long or 1609 meters.

For this average pound (assuming no heat losses etc) then the energy required is at least 1609*52680 MJ or 84762120MJ or 84.76TJ.

If the batteries took 2 hours to charge, then this work would be done at the rate of 84.76TJ in 2*3600 seconds, thus the power is 11.7 TW (Tera-Watts)

The latest style of pressurised water reactor gives 4500 MWt. or 4.5TW, thus it would take approx 3 of these reactors to do this in the time quoted.

To misquote Iain Banks that's some Feersum Endjinn!

Jonesthenukeclapping.gif

PS done in a rush so numbers may be approximate!

Edited to add, if the fuel rods are still there can I have them? (I really am taking this seriously (not))

The two of you deserve greenies but you did miss one vital statistic. You can't build a nuclear power station till the volume of health & safety documentation exceeds the volume of the power station buildings so there is that calorific value to consider.

The two of you deserve greenies but you did miss one vital statistic. You can't build a nuclear power station till the volume of health & safety documentation exceeds the volume of the power station buildings so there is that calorific value to consider.

Fully agree, this applies and used to limit the size of the documentation, but now we do the documentation electronically rather than on paper there is no constraint (which keeps people like me busyclapping.gif )

Juts one more thought to add to this learned discussion. How can a "Constant moorer" leave a mess? If they leave they are by definition no longer a "constant moorer" because they are not moored!

I dont think they wanted to Cart maybe gave them an offer they couldnt refuse

Peter

Can somebody tell me where the other 13 locks are 'cos I must have passed them without noticing. Did they boil away?

And the Chinese and French get involved

27 top gates on the Macc , shirly?

Only if you count the bottom gate of No13 as the top gate of the now non existent T & M stop lock.

Unless I have missed something................and don't call me shirly!

George ex nb Alton retired

Can somebody tell me where the other 13 locks are 'cos I must have passed them without noticing. Did they boil away?

See you have a nuclear reactor and look what quantum mechanics does for you (and Bosley)

More quantum mechanics. It has got to be Heisleberg's uncertainty principle coming in

That's nothing - last week, I saw a boat with no home mooring charge his batteries by starting up a water-cooled nuclear reactor which drained the entire contents of the Macclesfield canal leaving everyone high and dry. He then left, leaving spent fuel rods on the towpath. The resulting radiation caused the hair to fall out of anyone within half a mile. Damned inconsiderate if you ask me.

Sorry, I'll be a bit more considerate next time.

PS

I left by attaching Clarrie to a hot air balloon using the heat from the discarded nuclear rods.

That's nothing - last week, I saw a boat with no home mooring charge his batteries by starting up a water-cooled nuclear reactor which drained the entire contents of the Macclesfield canal leaving everyone high and dry. He then left, leaving spent fuel rods on the towpath. The resulting radiation caused the hair to fall out of anyone within half a mile. Damned inconsiderate if you ask me.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Mmmm. Interesting idea.

is that 2m deep or 2 feet........?