Soft covers over doors/hatches. New trend?

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

I keep seeing boats with padded waterproof covers over side doors and sometimes over back doors too. They generally extend onto the roof and cover the slide or roof hatch too.

What are they for? Surely the doors are waterproof anyway? Ours are.

Is this a new "must have" piece of boating equipment designed as a profit centre for the cratch cover makers?

Mystified of Barlaston.

MP.

The boat alongside me has them, he says draught excluders and added winter insulation.

Personally, as we have put a lot of time and effort into insulating our boat, we'd hoping to be able to get those doors open as much as possible, winter or otherwise. That's all part of it for us, getting involved with the outside...I think you'd be less inclined to open up if you've got to go outside and remove ?wet, ?dusty, insect harbouring covers?

They started fitting these sort of covers on boats a number of years ago on the Broads. They fitted over big bus windows normally, fixed withj big "press studs" people put them on at night during the winter.

I knew a few people who swore by them.

Phil

Hi,

I have a cover for my pigeon box and horn - saves water ingress and cuts out draughts - really useful. It's quite well made and has transparent section where the small portholes are so no light loss internally.

Have a separate removable cover for my external oil pressure gauge - saves it from the weather, forced removal and 'damage'.

A cover for the front doors would be useful.

L.

I keep seeing boats with padded waterproof covers over side doors and sometimes over back doors too. They generally extend onto the roof and cover the slide or roof hatch too.

What are they for? Surely the doors are waterproof anyway? Ours are.

Is this a new "must have" piece of boating equipment designed as a profit centre for the cratch cover makers?

Mystified of Barlaston.

MP.

When we bought ours used in 2009 the first owner had had made clip on covers for both side hatches, both pigeon boxes and rear doors. They are very useful in winter when boat is not used keeping out rain. We use the pigeon box covers in winter to stop rain dripping around the ids onto us in bed below

Funnily enough I started noticing these things too, a few weeks back.

And we shared a few locks with a boat that had everything covered but the covers looked quite old so they must have been around for a while, maybe just catching on with all the wet weather.

This boat had a pigeon box cover and I asked the skipper where he had got it as I would like one - our box leaks - but he said it came with the boat. Anyone know where you can get such items?

Our neighbours had them made and fitted purely to reduce water ingress and draughts in winter.

They looked better than the black plastic bag I stuck in place with magnets when we had heavy rain last year to keep it out of ours!

I'm thinking of having one for one of our side doors with roof hatch, as it is positioned next to and over our bed. Not a place you want any draught/water! As I haven't finished fitting yet, these so far are still just painted steel, awaiting cladding.

Might get round to sorting them soon now......cobblers children.........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/847uf4o3pk9ax4o/IMAG0168.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzuzwcm5768mz2p/IMAG0169.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4vto2joztcl09j/IMAG0175.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uox97kz66zg2tk/IMAG0172.jpg

I've made removable covers to go on ALL my Doors & windows, on both the EXTERNALLY & INTERNALLY, They are made out of the same material as my Fwd & Aft Canopies. They act as Blackout Blinds, (as I hate fixed curtains or blinds on

boats, just my Choise), & go along way to Draft proofing and Heat retention (imo).

They just Pop On & Off and can be Hosed down to clean.

Nulife 4-2

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

My doors have ventilation panels - clearly marked "Do not obstruct ventilation" ..... surely it's dangerous to block ventilation in such a small environment

They started fitting these sort of covers on boats a number of years ago on the Broads. They fitted over big bus windows normally, fixed withj big "press studs" people put them on at night during the winter.

I knew a few people who swore by them.

Phil

I've heard of folk swearing on the bible Phil, but standing there swearing by their covers is very odd and macabre behavior in my opinion, spooky, some kind of local ritual peculiar to the Broads that is only performed at night during the winter perhaps. Or just swearing blind. unsure.png

Edited by bizzard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/847uf4o3pk9ax4o/IMAG0168.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzuzwcm5768mz2p/IMAG0169.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4vto2joztcl09j/IMAG0175.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uox97kz66zg2tk/IMAG0172.jpg

I've made removable covers to go on ALL my Doors & windows, on both the EXTERNALLY & INTERNALLY, They are made out of the same material as my Fwd & Aft Canopies. They act as Blackout Blinds, (as I hate fixed curtains or blinds on

boats, just my Choise), & go along way to Draft proofing and Heat retention (imo).

They just Pop On & Off and can be Hosed down to clean.

Blackout blinds? Expectin and air-raid Paul. PUT THAT FLAMIN LIGHT OUT!!!

Edited by bizzard

it's more a 'Stelth' thing my dear Esteemed Bizzard,

They are for when I speed past moored boats at night, With my Generator & Music blaring.

I've got a hood made of the same material as well for both me & my Dog !. Although I find there is no real need to steer at all, as I just scrape down the sides of all the moored boats, and when the scraping stops, I know there is a 'mooring. Ive become a bit of a whiz, being able to find the space, moor up, pin in and eat a Donut, All before the Stern Wave catches up !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

The sort of blinds I mentioned are padded with insulation material and faced with "canopy" material. In the south of France they have similar blinds which are reflective silver to cut down on heat gain in the boats, again fixed by big press studs. So not a new idea at all.

Phil

And we shared a few locks with a boat that had everything covered but the covers looked quite old so they must have been around for a while, maybe just catching on with all the wet weather.

This boat had a pigeon box cover and I asked the skipper where he had got it as I would like one - our box leaks - but he said it came with the boat. Anyone know where you can get such items?

Hi,

P. Box cover - made by Little Sewing Boat - not sure if they are still trading - will look up the number, cost about £25.

Great 'bit of kit' engine room now dry and windproof, great in winter.

Will try to post a pic.

L

it's more a 'Stelth' thing my dear Esteemed Bizzard,

They are for when I speed past moored boats at night, With my Generator & Music blaring.

I've got a hood made of the same material as well for both me & my Dog !. Although I find there is no real need to steer at all, as I just scrape down the sides of all the moored boats, and when the scraping stops, I know there is a 'mooring. Ive become a bit of a whiz, being able to find the space, moor up, pin in and eat a Donut, All before the Stern Wave catches up !.

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Allan Cazally who is based on the GU will make them for you. His email is Pengalanty@ gmail.com

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana