Macerator or dump through

Featured Posts

Hi,

We have a standard dump through loo. We are designing a new bathroom and have been advised to think about a macerator, moving the holding tank to under the bed.

My question is about the choice preference and why. Which would you choose and why in comparison to the other please?

Many thanks

Paul

NB Lola, on 10 May 2014 - 1:46 PM, said:

Hi,

We have a standard dump through loo. We are designing a new bathroom and have been advised to think about a macerator, moving the holding tank to under the bed.

My question is about the choice preference and why. Which would you choose and why in comparison to the other please?

Many thanks

Paul

Dump through.

Why? - simple and less to go wrong, they are not that fussy about what type of toilet paper you use, and less susceptible to problems if you have guests not familiar with what should and should not go down them eg baby/face wipes.

Sea toilet adapted to discharge to the tank rather than over the side.

More pleasant in use than a dump through with less smell. Simple and reliable in use with no electric pump to worry about, the hand pump has a macerating action that probably aids decomposition in the tank.

Another for a dump through BUT with two LARGE tank vents at opposite ends of the tank (say 1" MINIMUM) with something like a computer fan in one vent. I control mine form a pneumatic light timer switch. This goes a long way to avoiding smells.

Sea toilet adapted to discharge to the tank rather than over the side.

More pleasant in use than a dump through with less smell. Simple and reliable in use with no electric pump to worry about, the hand pump has a macerating action that probably aids decomposition in the tank.

I agree

Dump through.

Why? - simple and less to go wrong, they are not that fussy about what type of toilet paper you use, and less susceptible to problems if you have guests not familiar with what should and should not go down them eg baby/face wipes.

Until you come to pump out and discover that workshop towel and STs won't come up the pipe. At least with a macerator, if it's made it into the tank it will come out again.

It's easier to position a distant tank on the centreline of the boat. We've used a macerator for ten years now, and in that time have had to take the thing apart twice. We take care to brief guests on the rule that, apart from loo roll, if you haven't eaten it, don't put it down the bog.

Until you come to pump out and discover that workshop towel and STs won't come up the pipe. At least with a macerator, if it's made it into the tank it will come out again.

It's easier to position a distant tank on the centreline of the boat. We've used a macerator for ten years now, and in that time have had to take the thing apart twice. We take care to brief guests on the rule that, apart from loo roll, if you haven't eaten it, don't put it down the bog.

Until the battery goes flat. Until something hardens and blocks the pump out pipe. Until you need access to the tank to clear the blockage - and don't say it won't happen!

Have had both and would go for a macerator every time. If you are worried about problems in the tank make it with an inspection plate. in 12 years with the present system have had one blockage (pump damage) due someone dropping a small perfume bottle down loo and trying to flush it angry.png

If price is a major factor then dump through is your system of choice

My choice on a sliding scale

Dump through

Simplicity

Easy to rinse out thoroughly

Using some bio preparation - easy to avoid smells

Tank underneath can use space otherwise wasted (mine runs under basin as well)

Sea toilet adaptation

More awkward to fit, but may get over any perceived problems with smell and seeing tank contents

Macerator

Expensive to fit and maintain when it goes wrong

If designed into the boat can utilise otherwise wasted space.

Can't rinse out effectively

Notes -

I keep my dump throughs sweet by "pressure washing" them through the hole via the rinse out supply

C.Coburn (who should know) built Progress with a 5ft high tank in the middle of his boat. Huge capacity - but he has a macerator (which he could supply at trade price...)

All,

Thanks for views, very useful. We are going with the macerator because it helps with room design and means we no longer need to use odorless/blue. We are also moving the pump out fitting to the top of the boat because ours is on the boat side as we have narrow gunwhales. We will have a near walk through bathroom as we are having a major makeover.

Once again, thanks for your views

Not using the blue well wait until you do a pump out or wind is blowing over vent in your direction.

Depends on your poo.

We use no chems at all and have very little outside smell at all from the tank when pumping out.

Personally I save the money from the chems and spend it on beer.

ETA

Our toilet is classed as a centrifugal toilet and all the gubbins is at the bottom of the bowl

Made in Germany so not cheap 2.5k but was fitted to the boat when we got it. Its a cross between an electric sea toilet and a macerator.

Edited by Loddon

Depends on your poo.

We use no chems at all and have very little outside smell at all from the tank when pumping out.

Personally I save the money from the chems and spend it on beer.

ETA

Our toilet is classed as a centrifugal toilet and all the gubbins is at the bottom of the bowl

Made in Germany so not cheap 2.5k but was fitted to the boat when we got it. Its a cross between an electric sea toilet and a macerator.

Some people recommend yeast, why not use it in the beer first?

Probably too late for my vote to count, but a dump through wins my vote. Nothing complicated, just press the lever and your doings go into the holding tank.

After a few problems when we bought the boat due to neglect the subsequent 5 years have been problem free with the loo.

Home made macerator;- Mount your toilet bowl upon a mincing machine and sit there winding the handle.

You've gotta have a very strong stomach or no sense of smell to go for that one! sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

Not using the blue well wait until you do a pump out or wind is blowing over vent in your direction.

Well we have a macerator and we dont use blue and you've never complained!!

Mike [aka b0atman ] moors next to us at Cropredy.

Steve