Piano on board - crazy!?!?

ali_oh

Featured Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/301166161119?clk_rvr_id=628368561873&item=301166161119&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508

Top piece of kit I've got the SP200 like this, it runs on a transformer 12 volt so you can run it straight off your 12 volt supply 0.5 amps according to the plate on the back. Without headphones you'll need powered speakers but it's a full size, 88 keys fully weighted and as near as you'll get to the real thing. This one isn't mine but look at some of the prices Korg's go for. Play one and you'll buy one.

K

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/301166161119?clk_rvr_id=628368561873&item=301166161119&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508

Top piece of kit I've got the SP200 like this, it runs on a transformer 12 volt so you can run it straight off your 12 volt supply 0.5 amps according to the plate on the back. Without headphones you'll need powered speakers but it's a full size, 88 keys fully weighted and as near as you'll get to the real thing. This one isn't mine but look at some of the prices Korg's go for. Play one and you'll buy one.

K

Looks a great piece of kit.

I had one of these for a while with a foot pedal

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_np31_piaggero.htm

Really pretty good sound with touch response (not quite full size keyboard though) but not in the clavinova or decent Korg league.

Big advantage is it's size and cost. Very slim and light, in fact would almost fold away under a gunwale.

Go and try a few.

Modern quality electronic keyboards have superb sounds plus some useful instruments.

The problem is that the 'feel' of a proper piano is not there - so many pianists reject them on that basis.

That's a shame because an 'electronic' is quite practical on a NB

Modern quality electronic keyboards have superb sounds plus some useful instruments.

The problem is that the 'feel' of a proper piano is not there - so many pianists reject them on that basis.

That's a shame because an 'electronic' is quite practical on a NB

All the sounds are available on the internet though, if you want to make noises like I do, but the OH isn't really interested in them and just wants a nice sounding piano with a properly weighted keyboard, hence the big heavy Yamaha, whereas I'm happy with my crappy plastic MIDI controller.

I still yearn for 1980s analogue synths though.

I have read of one boater who plays the organ and has one on board, not a wee electric keyboard either. I think he was in one of the boatimags.

I had a 2 manuals + pedalboard organ on our 40-footer for a good few years. It was when I was working in Burton and spending a few days away from home each week: it was a good opportunity to practise. Sadly I never did play BWV 565 while going through Harecastle!

The pedalboard could be pushed out of the way under the organ so it didn't take up too much room. I don't have it any more - now that I work from home, I can just nip down to the church when I want to do some practice - but part of the stool still does sterling service as the base of our convertible bed...

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

When Owen and Iris Brice had 'Bix' built (early '70s'?) I believe the piano (full size upright) was dropped in before the roof went on. Must have been interesting getting it out. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks - anybody remember it?

I had a 2 manuals + pedalboard organ on our 40-footer for a good few years. It was when I was working in Burton and spending a few days away from home each week: it was a good opportunity to practise. Sadly I never did play BWV 565 while going through Harecastle!

The pedalboard could be pushed out of the way under the organ so it didn't take up too much room. I don't have it any more - now that I work from home, I can just nip down to the church when I want to do some practice - but part of the stool still does sterling service as the base of our convertible bed...

You need a few goods reeds to play that and one on the pedal - was yours a full sized one?

I keep trying to persuade folks to have a look at Hauptwerk, this one is played by a master Rob Stefanussen, couldn't find him playing the DMinor but this is the Gigue Fugue (I'm told that's more difficult)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ncVblmduSQ

Here's 565 played by someone else. Can't believe it's "electronic" original building reverb as well.

(You possibly know all that)

When Owen and Iris Brice had 'Bix' built (early '70s'?) I believe the piano (full size upright) was dropped in before the roof went on. Must have been interesting getting it out. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks - anybody remember it?

Yes I'm certain that it went in that way. I suspect it was broken up to remove it when the boat was sold.

You could 'PM' Bob Blues on here..

Over the years..he has various keyboards..etc on his boat..as well as recording studio...

He has gotten his power usage off to a fine art..

He runs an internet based blues radio show from his boat..

Bob

I have a drum kit on my boat !

It's an electronic Roland & it does take up a bit of room on my already 'tight' 40 footer, but I wasn't prepared to give it up when I moved aboard !

It's great for practice and I regularly go to the local rehearsal rooms for my time on an acoustic. I'd guess you'd find a studio somewhere that would hire you a rehearsal room with a piano should you miss it ! smile.png

If you're crazy then I am too! I'm planning on having my Clavinova on board when I move onto my new boat at the end of the month.

I totally agree with the poster above regarding the Clavinova range. The sound quality is amazing and it has that real instrument feel without all impracticalities. You can play it with the headphones if you need to be quiet or turn up volume and really let your hair down if you're not bothering anyone.

Of course, having a good quality keyboard which can be stashed under the bed is probably the most practical thing but it's not quite the same!

The Clavinova is really good compromise. I've had one for many years now and I wouldn't go back to a traditional upright, even if I wasn't moving onto a boat.

I had an electric piano (clavinova which ran through a marlins adapter whatsit via my 12V sockets) on board but found the piano so tedious I sold it and got a proper one.

It came from another narrowboat - it passed from their window through my door. They still have a piano (a different one) and I love mine.

Someone down the way has a full upright on their boat. Mine fits below the gunwhale.

My piano seems to find the ambience of boat life rather congenial to it's melodic offerings (never mind the player). The only issue is the keys tend to stick if you keep the boat temperature below 10degrees.

If you want a piano, and have space - don't hesitate. There is no reason not to have one.

I had an electric piano (clavinova which ran through a marlins adapter whatsit via my 12V sockets) on board but found the piano so tedious I sold it and got a proper one.

It came from another narrowboat - it passed from their window through my door. They still have a piano (a different one) and I love mine.

Someone down the way has a full upright on their boat. Mine fits below the gunwhale.

My piano seems to find the ambience of boat life rather congenial to it's melodic offerings (never mind the player). The only issue is the keys tend to stick if you keep the boat temperature below 10degrees.

If you want a piano, and have space - don't hesitate. There is no reason not to have one.

clapping.giflaugh.png

wink.png

Thanks for that cheered me up no end

you might like this one too

although Eddie Izzard annoys me, in this lego version it suits... I love how the animator lifts the hats...

sorry OP for hijacking your thread but it looks like you have some good answers already...

Edited by Chagall

• 1 month later...

Having taken a flight cased B3 and Leslie on the road, I know how hard they are to shift. I'd love to see pictures of yours on the boat Bob!

Having taken a flight cased B3 and Leslie on the road, I know how hard they are to shift. I'd love to see pictures of yours on the boat Bob!

We have a Yamaha CLP950 Clavinova on board. Which is in effect a half height piece of piano furniture with full size 88 key electric piano

I'm not sure how to load up photos so to see what one looks like, here's one I found on on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Clavinova-CLP-950-Digital-Electric-Piano-/271464549895?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item3f348c4e07

We decided to take that one on board rather than out real upright as obviously there are no tuning issues. Plus it dismantles and was easy to get into the cabin via the cratch by two people. Its very heavy and balances out our Library units on the other side :-)

I can recommend the Yamaha Clavinova range or the Roland range as they go to great lengths to replicate the feel and sound of real pianos in the minutest of details.

My Clavinaova has served me well up to Grade 7.

Roland pianos sampling samples Steinway and Yamaha sampling samples the Bosedorfer hence our choice for better sound imo (and I'm fussy).

Power wise? its not a big user, tho I cant be bothered to pull it out to check the label. But ours would not work on a quasi sine wave inverter. So before we had fitted the 3000w pure sine wave inverter last month, we used to use one of those 12v 300w carstarter packs with a 230v power plug thing in it bought from Halfords and it would work fine for hours(ours is a Ring 12v 800A-300W model)

I recommend any model of Clavinova or Roland that will fit in the space of your boat

Please!!! whatever you do, do not buy one of those cheap Yamaha/casio or other make of laptop style keyboards made for the masses at xmas. Where the sound quality is relatively crap and there is absolutely no feel at all to the keys and no flipping pedals which are essential to playing and expressing yourself properly on the piano.

Unless of course you just want a Keyboard which is an entirely different thing imo, in which case go for a Korg or a top of the range Yamaha specific keyboard

Hope you get what you want and enjoy it :-)

Jim

The school where I worked for many years had a Clavinova. It was battered beyond belief, dropped out f the minibus whilst moving, and various other mishaps. We used to bolt it back together with bits of angle iron and stuff, but it still sounded great and played well.

The school where I worked for many years had a Clavinova. It was battered beyond belief, dropped out f the minibus whilst moving, and various other mishaps. We used to bolt it back together with bits of angle iron and stuff, but it still sounded great and played well.

Clavinova's are terrible, there is nothing worse when you turn up to do a concert and they say we have a Clavinova. Arse!

Feedback from the keys are almost non-existent the sound is like a cat being pushed through the strings of a banjo and for any Clavinova over 6 months old the action is like hitting it with a zimmer frame.

I had to do a piece last night the piano was an old upright Lowest D was out of tune and 2 of the hammers were broken. So much better than a Yamaha..

Bob

Edited to add I will never buy another peice of Yamaha kit ever. After spending 2K on a mixer and add-ons and then to find Yamaha refused to make Win 7 or Mac drivers for it. Effectively trying to make people to buy new kit.

Edited by Bob Blues
  • Greenie 1

Have you considered a harmonium?

I have read of one boater who plays the organ and has one on board, not a wee electric keyboard either. I think he was in one of the boatimags.

Fade to Scarlets Willow, the previous owner my cousin Simon used to repair/restore harmonium"s, he had at least 1 on board most times, the boat at one time was sign written The Harmonium Emporium.

There is at least one poster I can think of here who has a real piano on their narrowboat.

Compact-format (for want of the correct term) but a real, good quality piano all the same. So it can definitely be done, and uses no electricity smile.png

MtB

There is a boat on the Lancaster canal and it has a piano onboard. Boat name 'Pianissimo'

I got an electric piano for my birthday so I'm taking it onboard clapping.gif

All I have to do now is work out the logistics of getting a fairly heavy piano up over the side of the boat and through our tiny doors! It should fit, but it's going to be an experience!!

Thank you for all the comments!

Edited by ali_oh

I've got a dwarf Zender which I plan to bring on board eventually ... my intention is to make a frame to fit over the top of it so that it's a breakfast bar when not being played.

Some manage cold and damp better than others... my old girl struggles more with dry heat from central heating than she does from living in a cold damp hall like she did before moving here.