continuous cruising

lesrollins

Featured Posts

Certainly it is not perfect logic, but I still maintain that someone who only can or wants to cruise 12 miles per year should not call themselves a continuous cruiser. Actually I will admit to misreading the intent of the OP's post - I rather got the impression he was looking forward to this relaxation, but on re-reading I think he was just commenting on it.

I do not think they sign up to be "Continuous Cruisers" they declare on their Licence application that they do not have a "Home Mooring" nowhere in the legislation does it mention those magic words "Continuous Cruisers"

There's no Legislation stating how far a continuous cruiser should travel. By making such a statement, your being as naive as CRT.

It would be better all round if you, along with CRT concentrated on the boat owners that do not comply with their declaration at all, ie, non movers.

As I said originally, in response to a post which did mention a specific distance, I am merely saying I am amazed at how much some people who claim to be boaters wanted to avoid cruising. I am also amazed at how many galaxies there are in the universe, but that doesn't mean I think this is a bad thing nor that "something should be done about it".

And yes, it would be good if CRT tackled non-movers, although even that depends. We have a few non-movers around here out in the sticks, but TBH it doesn't really matter. Where it does matter is where there is pressure on space such as the rat runs of the SE and SW.

Perhaps there should be a pinned thread about taboo subjects on CWDF. One of course is anything to do with women's lib/feminism, another is surely any hint of an opinion about CCers. Then we would all be able to live in happy if boring harmony!

I do not think they sign up to be "Continuous Cruisers" they declare on their Licence application that they do not have a "Home Mooring" nowhere in the legislation does it mention those magic words "Continuous Cruisers"

Thanks John, I think you can presume that after all this time I know that. Again, I was responding to the OP using his terms.

Correct nicknorman I was only making a comment to what I had read. After 2 years moving up and down I've finally opted for marina life for a while and how peaceful not listening to the engine running. It just amazes me that C & RT could of somehow got around the roving mooring permits to raise revenue but instead they have suggested or trialing a free idea to a chosen few who seem to stamp there feet and get away with it. Who actually runs the K & A it sure doesn, t sound like C& RT

Interesting to read this thread, some CCers move only a short distance every 14 days, some less if they can get away with it and everyone is happy with that (inc me) then in another thread marina dwellers/moorers get put down because they are not out on the cut, yet many do a lot more milage than the CCers, just saying.

Phil

Hi ya Matey.

You know, Before I joined this forum, the people in the cruising circles I know, All had one thing in common, We Live on boats, We Cruised when we could or When we wanted to. Regularly Bumping into eachother at someplace or another wether it be in Scotland, Kent or Wales. And in our minds we classified ourselves as CCrs.

But never in my limited experience of living and practicing my lifestyle choice over the last 20 odd years did we have to Argue or justify amongst ourselves how much or how little traveling we done that year to retain our self clarification of being a CCr or not, Wether it be 1000 miles or 3000 miles. Or if

Pumpout is better than Cassettes, or some of the other regular 'Debates' that seem to come up.

Please note everyone,

This is just my thoughts,and are not directed at anyone or group, I genuinely just find it an interesting difference in thinking.that's all.

And wonder Why is it so different ?.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Correct nicknorman I was only making a comment to what I had read. After 2 years moving up and down I've finally opted for marina life for a while and how peaceful not listening to the engine running. It just amazes me that C & RT could of somehow got around the roving mooring permits to raise revenue but instead they have suggested or trialing a free idea to a chosen few who seem to stamp there feet and get away with it. Who actually runs the K & A it sure doesn, t sound like C& RT

I must have missed the bit that says it is only open to choosen few, could you quote me that bit please as I thought it was open to all

I read the write up about the new guidelines re the western end of the K&A last night from the C&RT site. I didn't see anywhere about a 12 mile requirement. My understanding of the new guidelines is that anyone without a home mooring would be required to show they had used 12 out of the 14 different "neighborhoods" as outlined on the below map starting from May 1st this year till April 30th 2015. There was also some write up about "ghost moorings" as well.6dm2bKgs.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/6dm2bKg.png

I must have missed the bit that says it is only open to choosen few, could you quote me that bit please as I thought it was open to all

I wonder if someone is being confused by distances, 20km is ball park equivalent to 12m so no ones being treated differently on that score as far as I know either.

Some people have life constraint but really, 12 miles PER YEAR is taking the pee. Most people do that and more in a day.

C&RT made the guidelines, I actually believe giving the guidelines that you could conceivably do less than 12 miles and still comply if so challenged. Until someone defines how far apart a place actually is then 12m means nowt in reality as it's a just a guideline.

We will do far more than 12 miles per year as will the vast majority of boaters without a home mooring. It's quite easy to travel A to B to C to D to E to F and then return to A several times a year covering lots of miles but not necessarily travelling a full 12 miles away from a certain point. We could do A to F and back for 51 weeks of the year, then do a 12 mile + trip in a single week or even day as C&RT only seem to require this distance covered once in any year.

By the way how many miles cruising do you need to become a boater. I might not even be one yet LOL

Hi ya Matey.

You know, Before I joined this forum, the people in the cruising circles I know, All had one thing in common, We Live on boats, We Cruised when we could or When we wanted to. Regularly Bumping into eachother at someplace or another wether it be in Scotland, Kent or Wales. And in our minds we classified ourselves as CCrs.

But never in my limited experience of living and practicing my lifestyle choice over the last 20 odd years did we have to Argue or justify amongst ourselves how much or how little traveling we done that year to retain our self clarification of being a CCr or not, Wether it be 1000 miles or 3000 miles. Or if

Pumpout is better than Cassettes, or some of the other regular 'Debates' that seem to come up.

Please note everyone,

This is just my thoughts,and are not directed at anyone or group, I genuinely just find it an interesting difference in thinking.that's all.

You're right mate, that was exactly the point I was trying to get across, we all love boating, we all have a different take on it so why not just accept we are all different, nobody is right or wrong same as what kit we use to do our boating, what suits one will not suit another but that does not make it wrong.

Phil

• Greenie 1

C&RT made the guidelines, I actually believe giving the guidelines that you could conceivably do less than 12 miles and still comply if so challenged. Until someone defines how far apart a place actually is then 12m means nowt in reality as it's a just a guideline.

Do you think CRT should define the distance? It would certainly add some clarity. Start with 100 miles, that's still only 50 each way. Still not a great distance.

Edited by Higgs

With the current horrendous cost of fuel surely the only people who can afford and have the time to cruise for more than 12 hours a day every day at roughly a £1 per mile are rich retired people. There is of course fuel used for charging batteries ect I expect when stationary though.

You're right mate, that was exactly the point I was trying to get across, we all love boating, we all have a different take on it so why not just accept we are all different, nobody is right or wrong same as what kit we use to do our boating, what suits one will not suit another but that does not make it wrong.

Phil

I agree too

I've spotted numerous boats in the same place over the prescribed 14 days and many other transgressions, I really don't see what the problem is, the vast majority of boats that bend the 14 day rules usually moor where no one else would bother to even on a good weather day. It seems that on our travels thus far I've not noted any boats hogging water points or overstaying on 24/48 hour moorings. It's a lot of fuss about nothing and firmly believe C&RT are of the same opinion, maybe they're just concentrating on VM,s as we haven't seen any kind of enforcement on the general tow path for over 6 months and everything seems pretty hunky dory to us icecream.gif

Do you think CRT should define the distance? It would certainly add some clarity. Start with 100 miles, that's still only 50 each way. Still not a great distance.

Hi Higgs

So what! what does it matter, I've just posted that I believe it's totally irrelevant as most over stayers moor where no other boaters would bother, especially holiday boaters.

The fact of the matter C&RT can't do anything about distance unless the law changes, simple as.

Edited by Julynian

I agree too

I've spotted numerous boats in the same place over the prescribed 14 days and many other transgressions, I really don't see what the problem is, the vast majority of boats that bend the 14 day rules usually moor where no one else would bother to even on a good weather day. It seems that on our travels thus far I've not noted any boats hogging water points or overstaying on 24/48 hour moorings. It's a lot of fuss about nothing and firmly believe C&RT are of the same opinion, maybe they're just concentrating on VM,s as we haven't seen any kind of enforcement on the general tow path for over 6 months and everything seems pretty hunky dory to us icecream.gif

Does it also look hunky dory to any opportunist wishing to chance their luck with the guidelines? Monkey see, monkey do.

I read the write up about the new guidelines re the western end of the K&A last night from the C&RT site. I didn't see anywhere about a 12 mile requirement. My understanding of the new guidelines is that anyone without a home mooring would be required to show they had used 12 out of the 14 different "neighborhoods" as outlined on the below map starting from May 1st this year till April 30th 2015. There was also some write up about "ghost moorings" as well.6dm2bKgs.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/6dm2bKg.png

I would agree what it says on the CRT website is clear. Move neighbourhood every 14 days and cover at least 12 of the neighbourhoods in 12 months. The map appears to be an attempt at defining a neighbourhood, which many have claimed was required to understand what the CRT was trying to enforce.

The flaw I see is "Our checkers record the location of each boat at least once every 14 days" it would be possible for a boat to have been in other neighbourhoods between checks.

So is it distance or as BettyBoo says 12 out of 14 districts which would involve travelling ?miles per year and mooring for 2 weeks in 11 districts and 30 weeks in your preferred district .

I still think some marinas will lose boats as this is a lovely cheap legitimate system.

This is in effect a roving mooring permit that anyone can hand to themselves free of charge!

CaRT have stressed that this is a special case for the Western K&A only and for just one one year whilst boaters learn to be compliant.

However if it works I suspect it will become permanent.

If a boater moves to the next neighbourhood every 14 days then it would take over a year to do the return journey so even though this is not what I would regard as continuous cruising I think its hard not to agree that it IS a valid style of continuous cruising. I may well want to do this when I am older!!!

The K&A is also a bit of a special case. This cruising range runs from Bath to the bottom of the Devizes flight. West of Bath the Bristol Avon can be tricky after rain and there are few moorings anyway. At the Eastern end there are water quality issues with the canal potentially polluting the Kennet so CaRT would probably prefer not to have whole load of new boats going up the flight and visiting the Eastern end.

So all in all its probably a good solution!

...........Dave

edited for typos

Edited by dmr

I think I may be on the K&A next year.

I will put the boat into marinas when I need to be away from it generally £10 including electric so allow £500 Save me £2000+

How many boats can we get moored end to end within the districts.

So is it distance or as BettyBoo says 12 out of 14 districts which would involve travelling ?miles per year and mooring for 2 weeks in 11 districts and 30 weeks in your preferred district .

I still think some marinas will lose boats as this is a lovely cheap legitimate system.

Well marina dwellers might well benefit then as marinas might have to drop prices to get those leaving to come back laugh.png

In all honesty though the majority of people who moor in marinas do so because they like it and the ease and security it offers. I really don't see people leaving marinas and to opt for "CCing" because 12 miles is perceived to be easy, any one doing that will soon learn quite the opposite and miss the comforts of the marina, unlimited leccy supply etc etc and return to the fold quite quickly LOL

That's a matter for the said opportunist smile.png

It's a matter for clarifying the rules. Given the freedom to remain without a home mooring was given, I presume, on the understanding that thay hadn't probably expected the confusion to exist that clearly does. Do CRT need to establish clear rules, the kind that are being used for 14 days, VMs, and the like. ?

But never in my limited experience of living and practicing my lifestyle choice over the last 20 odd years did we have to Argue or justify amongst ourselves how much or how little traveling we done that year to retain our self clarification of being a CCr or not, Wether it be 1000 miles or 3000 miles. [snip]

Please note everyone,

I don't think you can expect things on the canals to be the same as the areas you cruise and moor in. For example, how often do you find that you have to travel slowly past a long line of moored boats?

Because some people get frustrated with having to travel at tickover for long periods they question why the boats are moored where they are. Long term moorings are kind of acceptable but people mooring long term where they should not (CMers or bridge hoppers) raise the emotions for some. This leads to the debates about what CCing is, how far CCers should travel and what CCers are "getting away with".

At least, that is how it appears to me!

:-)

Well marina dwellers might well benefit then as marinas might have to drop prices to get those leaving to come back laugh.png

In all honesty though the majority of people who moor in marinas do so because they like it and the ease and security it offers. I really don't see people leaving marinas and to opt for "CCing" because 12 miles is perceived to be easy, any one doing that will soon learn quite the opposite and miss the comforts of the marina, unlimited leccy supply etc etc and return to the fold quite quickly LOL

We're not quite that stupid or lacking forethought and planning.

Edited by Higgs

With the current horrendous cost of fuel surely the only people who can afford and have the time to cruise for more than 12 hours a day every day at roughly a £1 per mile are rich retired people. There is of course fuel used for charging batteries ect I expect when stationary though.

I have certainly noticed the massive increase in fuel, & how it has impacted on my cruising over the last few years, (I am certainly not rich,far from it, I was going to ask you for a fiver). And I think your right, to a degree,

But I am still a firm believer in Living aboard a Cruising/Moving boat is still cheaper in fact, than staying put. I've written off the last two years cruising wise. And can say with 100% Honesty, I have paid as much to be tied to a Pontoon in a marina, and the Extra costs that that brings ( my choise, due to personal and

Business commitments) than my TOTAL LIVING, ENTERTAINMENT AND CRUISING Budget COMBINED was, for my definition of being a CCr.

It's a matter for clarifying the rules. Given the freedom to remain without a home mooring was given, I presume, on the understanding that thay hadn't probably expected the confusion to exist that clearly does. Do CRT need to establish clear rules, the kind that are being used for 14 days, VMs, and the like. ?

But they can't nor could BW that's why there's only guidelines. I see nothing wrong with the guidelines, they're perfectly clear to us and basic common sense. If our interpretation of them is at sometime incorrect I'm sure C&RT will educate us should they be monitoring. If their not then I suggest it's of little importance to them and therefor much the same to anyone else.

I don't think you can expect things on the canals to be the same as the areas you cruise and moor in. For example, how often do you find that you have to travel slowly past a long line of moored boats?

Because some people get frustrated with having to travel at tickover for long periods they question why the boats are moored where they are. Long term moorings are kind of acceptable but people mooring long term where they should not (CMers or bridge hoppers) raise the emotions for some. This leads to the debates about what CCing is, how far CCers should travel and what CCers are "getting away with".

At least, that is how it appears to me!

:-)

Yes, I can see what your saying,

Do you think it's a pure numbers thing,, like parking spaces in a multi story sinario ?. Possibly.

I mean, not enough to go around, and reluctantly let go once one is found