continuous cruising

lesrollins

Featured Posts

Have I read correctly in next month's towpath. Continuous cruisers will only have to move over a 12 mile range in there 12 month licence period on the Kennet and Avon. So will this apply to continuous cruisers on other parts of the canal system.

I recall C&RT consider this a sort of minimum requirement, but from a central point It's only 6 miles each way laugh.png

I think it should be shorter on the K&A with all these hire boats about, on quieter canals extent to 30 miles rolleyes.gif

ninja.gif

tinc of course LOL

Edited by Julynian

So why doesn't one rule apply to all so it becomes equal and fair. Surely if a case went to court you would have a good argument if you were on a different section of canal and moving over 12 miles.

I agree with you. Having settled on 20 kms as the distance a boat needs to move in any 12 months, it would be impossible to argue that the same distance shouldn't apply to every other canal.

I believe this is a 'special' arrangement for the K&A a bit like the one that failed in London, will not be ongoing and is just for those already there.

It sounds like the Roving Permit that CRT canned recently

Richard

Surely it should have a mooring permit attached to it or marinas on the K&A will empty pretty quick.

This post needs to be on general boating it could maybe compete with pillings

Don't get confused with Winter roving permits and the recent canned roving permits, they were 2 different things.

I also don't have a problem with rules being different on different canal networks, clearly London has many issues that more rural canals don't. The Roving winter permits were very popular and I believe will be available again next year, although not certain.

Do they have a different licence to us ordinary mortals who follow the rules

No but like London, the 'rules' have not been applied for sometime and this is a way of getting to a 'proper state' eventually.

Yes the boaters concerned have been getting away with it but it is not totally their fault, it is the fault of those policing the moorings turning a blind eye and/or giving out the wrong information.

No but like London, the 'rules' have not been applied for sometime and this is a way of getting to a 'proper state' eventually.

Yes the boaters concerned have been getting away with it but it is not totally their fault, it is the fault of those policing the moorings turning a blind eye and/or giving out the wrong information.

Absolutely agreed.

Until CRT get a grip on enforcement, we will continue with the issues.

Although a small number of boaters take the p*ss, correct and consistent enforcement would in time clear this mess up.

It never fails to amaze me that for some continuous cruisers who are using their boats bona fide for navigation, that the most important thing is how little they can navigate their boats and get away with it.

You took the words out of my mouth!

It never fails to amaze me that for some continuous cruisers who are using their boats bona fide for navigation, that the most important thing is how little they can navigate their boats and get away with it.

Because we can within the rules/guidelines. It's nothing to do with getting away with anything smile.png

Just because you clearly don't like doesn't make it wrong icecream.gif

Because we can within the rules/guidelines. It's nothing to do with getting away with anything :)

Just because you clearly don't like doesn't make it wrong :icecream:

I didn't say I didn't like it, just that I find it amazing - ie how much some continuous cruisers must hate cruising their boats.

• Greenie 1

I didn't say I didn't like it, just that I find it amazing - ie how much some continuous cruisers must hate cruising their boats.

Again Nick all your usual BS assumptions, I love cruising the boat, I just prefer not to do so daily. How do you know CC's hate moving their boats, again presumptuous and based on little or no evidence.

You don't need to say you don't like it, I think many can read between the lines though wacko.png

Edited by Julynian

Again Nick all your usual BS assumptions, I love cruising the boat, I just prefer not to do so daily. How do you know CC's hate moving their boats, again presumptuous and based on little or no evidence.

You don't need to say you don't like it, I think many can read between the lines though :wacko:

You are putting words into my mouth (as usual). Of course there are plenty of CCers who love cruising. I have no idea whether you fall into this category or not, but quite happy to take your word for it. But you cannot deny there are some CCers whose aim is to cruise as little as possible, therefore from that it is reasonable to presume that they dislike cruising - otherwise they would do it more.

Some people have life constraint but really, 12 miles PER YEAR is taking the pee. Most people do that and more in a day.

Edited by nicknorman

But you cannot deny there are some CCers whose aim is to cruise as little as possible, therefore from that it is reasonable to presume that they dislike cruising - otherwise they would do it more.

Isn't that dodgy logic, Nick? Maybe they love cruising but cannot because of life commitments (like us)

No, we are not CCers

Richard

You are putting words into my mouth (as usual). Of course there are plenty of CCers who love cruising. I have no idea whether you fall into this category or not, but quite happy to take your word for it. But you cannot deny there are some CCers whose aim is to cruise as little as possible, therefore from that it is reasonable to presume that they dislike cruising - otherwise they would do it more.

Well to you it is clearly, that says more about you though doesn't it LOL. In many others minds more open and with some common sense attached might assume someone is happy cruising once every 14 days smile.png

I haven't put any words into your mouth either, you clearly wrote what you wrote, That makes you presumptuous IMO smile.png

Edited by Julynian

But I strongly suspect you manage a lot more than 12 miles per year!

I can think of other reasons why your logic is flawed if you want. ' it is reasonable to presume that they dislike cruising' isn't reasonable or correct

Richard

There's no Legislation stating how far a continuous cruiser should travel. By making such a statement, your being as naive as CRT.

It would be better all round if you, along with CRT concentrated on the boat owners that do not comply with their declaration at all, ie, non movers.

• Greenie 1

Interesting to read this thread, some CCers move only a short distance every 14 days, some less if they can get away with it and everyone is happy with that (inc me) then in another thread marina dwellers/moorers get put down because they are not out on the cut, yet many do a lot more milage than the CCers, just saying.

Phil

I can think of other reasons why your logic is flawed if you want. ' it is reasonable to presume that they dislike cruising' isn't reasonable or correct[/size]

Richard[/size]

Certainly it is not perfect logic, but I still maintain that someone who only can or wants to cruise 12 miles per year should not call themselves a continuous cruiser. Actually I will admit to misreading the intent of the OP's post - I rather got the impression he was looking forward to this relaxation, but on re-reading I think he was just commenting on it.