continuous cruising

lesrollins

Featured Posts

You're right mate, that was exactly the point I was trying to get across, we all love boating, we all have a different take on it so why not just accept we are all different, nobody is right or wrong same as what kit we use to do our boating, what suits one will not suit another but that does not make it wrong.

Phil

You've summed it up wonderfully Phil - this is exactly my feelings on all things boating related. "to each their own"

If I had a green left I'd have given it to you - have this insteadhug.gif

(CMers or bridge hoppers) raise the emotions for some. This leads to the debates about what CCing is, how far CCers should travel and what CCers are "getting away with".

However though not a good argument, assuming that all these CM'rs bridge hoppers all start abiding by the rules all that would happen is the boats that legitimately move on will be replaced with other boats that have also moved on, there will still be the same amount of boats occupying the same amount of mooring spaces on the same canals.

That's not to say I approve of overstaying, but It will change not a jot with regard to that particular argument.

Edited by Julynian

Well we just stopped at the Tame Otter, Hopwas. The UBU was particularly excellent and I didn't even mind that it was £3.40 a pint - it was worth it (or several its) so now I can complete my annual 12 mile allowance in an alcoholic haze. Perfecto!

Well we just stopped at the Tame Otter, Hopwas. The UBU was particularly excellent and I didn't even mind that it was £3.40 a pint - it was worth it (or several its) so now I can complete my annual 12 mile allowance in an alcoholic haze. Perfecto!

That will require a pub crawl, ie different place for each pint.

Is it true that All boats on the Inland Waterways have got Automatic Pilots fitted as standard ?.

Just engage it on the way back from the pub, and when the bumping and banging stops, it's found you a mooring, ! ninja.gif

Thanks BB, Happy Tummy now,hug.gif

However though not a good argument, assuming that all these CM'rs bridge hoppers all start abiding by the rules all that would happen is the boats that legitimately move on will be replaced with other boats that have also moved on, there will still be the same amount of boats occupying the same amount of mooring spaces on the same canals.

That's not to say I approve of overstaying, but It will change not a jot with regard to that particular argument.

I think that's two different arguments. How many boats can you fit into the minimum distance, and, it's fair that one boat moves on to allow another that space. From a continuous cruiser's point of view, there's absolutely no reason why, as they're not planning to put down roots, why they don't use all the 2000 miles of canal. Something is going to have to give. With more boats electing to CC, it will not work to have a free-for-all. In particular, in a small number of choice areas.

Edited by Higgs

So is it distance or as BettyBoo says 12 out of 14 districts which would involve travelling ?miles per year and mooring for 2 weeks in 11 districts and 30 weeks in your preferred district .

I still think some marinas will lose boats as this is a lovely cheap legitimate system.

The below excerpts are from the C&RT site. Again, I didn't see anything about amount of "miles" just neighborhoods

The western end of the Kennet & Avon Canal between Bath and Foxhangers is an attractive and popular stretch of canal that attracts a large number of boats. Following consultation with local boaters, the Kennet & Avon Waterways Partnership and the Canal & River Trust has created an interim 12-month local plan for the area aimed at reducing the congestion that is affecting the canal.

Many boaters already navigate the canal in a way that is consistent with this guidance, so they probably won’t need to do anything different. It’s important however that everyone understands how the plan is being monitored and knows how to comply so as to avoid the attention of our enforcement officers.

The 12-month local plan

From 1st May 2014 boats between Bath and Foxhangers are expected to:

• Move to a new neighbourhood every 14 days
  • Spread their mooring pattern evenly across 14 different neighbourhoods (see map in useful downloads section) covering a range of at least 20km

Our checkers record the location of each boat at least once every 14 days and our analysis of the resulting data shows us the extent to which you have met the terms of the plan.

Move to a new neighbourhood every 14 days (see map in useful downloads section)

You need to move between the 14 defined neighbourhoods, moving from one neighbourhood to another every fourteen days (or more frequently).

What we measure: approximately every 14 days we review recent sightings to answer:

• Has the boat moved to a different neighbourhood since the last time we saw it?’

Spread your mooring pattern evenly across the different neighbourhoods, covering a range of 20 km

Moor in at least 12 of the neighbourhoods regularly over the whole 12 month period, unless of course you are outside the plan area (during that time you need to follow the national guidance). Going to and fro between just a few neighbourhoods isn’t sufficient.

What we measure: every three months we review all our sightings of your boat over the previous months to answer …

• in how many different neighbourhoods have you been sighted?

If you’ve been in the plan area for most of the time and we’ve seen you in at least 6 different neighbourhoods during the first three months, this is sufficient. Over the 12 months we expect you to have spread your mooring pattern evenly across at least 12 different neighbourhoods.

What if something happens to stop me complying with the guidance?

If something crops up that means you can’t comply, such as illness or boat breakdown, we’ll normally allow a temporary suspension of the requirement to move while you recover or sort out the problem. So contact our customer services team without delay by calling 0303 040 4040 during normal working hours and ask to be connected to the K&A West enforcement team. Or email KAMooring@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

Keeping your own records

We recommend that you keep your own movement log so that if you feel we have made an incorrect assessment at any time, you have evidence to back this up.

*Boaters with a home mooring

If your home mooring is within the local plan area, we understand that you might use the neighbourhoods closest to your home mooring more frequently than those further afield but we would ask that you always return your boat to your home mooring when not being used for cruising. If your home mooring is elsewhere but you are visiting the canal between Bath and Foxhangers, we ask that you follow this guidance until you leave the local plan area.

What happens at the end of the 12-month local plan period?

You’ll need to start following the national guidance.

How are you evaluating the results of the plan?

We will publish a report every three months with statistics on how boats are moving in the area.

Winter Moorings

If you’d like to stay put during the winter (November – March incl.), we’re planning to offer winter permits that allow you to remain moored in one place. These are subject to availability and some simple eligibility criteria. We will communicate details during August 2014.

Visitor Moorings

Maximum stay times at Visitor Moorings between Bath and Foxhangers will be set at 48 hours from 1st May 2014 along with no more than 7 days being spent at the site during any one calendar month. An extended stay charge of £25 per day will apply. These stay times will apply to all boats with the exception that holiday hire boats will be exempt from the ‘7 days in a calendar month’ rule.

Frequently asked questions

We've put together a list of frequently asked question, you can download these in the useful downloads section on the right hand side of this page.

Contacting us

If you have any questions, or have temporary difficulties that prevent you from moving, please email KAMooring@canalrivertrust.org.uk or call us on 0303 040 4040.

Hope that clarifies it somewhat :)

B~

I think that's two different arguments. How many boats can you fit into the minimum distance, and, it's fair that one boat moves on to allow another that space. From a continuous cruiser's point of view, there's absolutely no reason why, as they're not planning to put down roots, why they don't use all the 2000 miles of canal. Something is going to have to give. With more boats electing to CC, it will not work to have a free-for-all. In particular, in a small number of choice areas.

You're most probably right, certainly more CCrs will appear what with the current housing crises. We can live with it at the moment though no problem, but we accept that nothing will change until a legislative change happens, and if it did it won't do for a long time.

Just read the C&RT thing BB just posted, not very easy for those to comply who work daily for sure, or have kids going to school. I've a feeling the marinas will do well out of this LOL

You're most probably right, certainly more CCrs will appear what with the current housing crises. We can live with it at the moment though no problem, but we accept that nothing will change until a legislative change happens, and if it did it won't do for a long time.

Just read the C&RT thing BB just posted, not very easy for those to comply who work daily for sure, or have kids going to school. I've a feeling the marinas will do well out of this LOL

Will it be Policed ?.

If so, Will actions be Enforced ?.

Who knows, it's a case of wait and see,

I believe this is a 'special' arrangement for the K&A a bit like the one that failed in London, will not be ongoing and is just for those already there.

From Betties post.

So I was almost right in post #5. laugh.pnglaugh.png

From Betties post.

So I was almost right in post #5. :lol::lol:

Not sure what "almost right" Is? From conversation I have had with CRT it is a 12 month experiment and if it works and people keep to the rules then it will continue the 12 months gives CRT the ability to withdraw the scheme if it does not work as intended

Not sure what "almost right" Is? From conversation I have had with CRT it is a 12 month experiment and if it works and people keep to the rules then it will continue the 12 months gives CRT the ability to withdraw the scheme if it does not work as intended

I have a feeling it won't go well, found this from Kanda

http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/crt-advisory-group-supports-ka-mooring-strategy/

Isn't that slightly out of date Julynian? Says it was posted June 2013

OH possibly then, I thought they were commenting on the proposals as in the ones you posted, I've possibly got it wrong LOL

ETA I might have posted an incorrect link. try this

http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/local-mooring-strategy-to-start-on-1st-may-for-trial-12-months/

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 13th, 2014 at 6:38 pm and is filed under A-Featured Articles, Moorings Consultation.

Isn't that slightly out of date Julynian? Says it was posted June 2013

Yeah wrong link, apologies LOL

Edited by Julynian

OH possibly then, I thought they were commenting on the proposals as in the ones you posted, I've possibly got it wrong LOL

ETA I might have posted an incorrect link. try this

http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/local-mooring-strategy-to-start-on-1st-may-for-trial-12-months/

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 13th, 2014 at 6:38 pm and is filed under A-Featured Articles, Moorings Consultation.

Yeah wrong link, apologies LOL

Thanks for that Julynian, that makes more sense and is an interesting take on the new guidelines :)

If you can't CCfor "lifestyle" reasons then is the logical step not to take a marina mooring?

We have a chap local to us who has bought a brand new piper "Dutch Barge" who intended to CC because (and these are his words) " he couldn't afford a marina mooring".

He has been sat on a prime visitor mooring now for at least the last eight weeks and chances are a damn sight longer.

He says it's ok thoughas we can raft alongside if necessary!

Some people are just piss takers!

If you can't CCfor "lifestyle" reasons then is the logical step not to take a marina mooring?

We have a chap local to us who has bought a brand new piper "Dutch Barge" who intended to CC because (and these are his words) " he couldn't afford a marina mooring".

He has been sat on a prime visitor mooring now for at least the last eight weeks and chances are a damn sight longer.

He says it's ok thoughas we can raft alongside if necessary!

Some people are just piss takers!

The question is "why can he do it?"

Because he's a puss taker!

He is actually on CRT radar. They are just not swift enough to deal with him.

His answer seems to be if he spins the boat around( badly on the ropes at that) it looks like he has moved!

You actually couldn't make this up. He really does think that makes it look like he has moved. He seems to think that it is his "right" to do this.

Wasn't in a bad enough mood to have the conversation with him. Might be next week if he is still there. Which I fully expect he will be!