Well Were still out on the cut 3 weeks in total

Amp mtr directly on Alternator, when engine on reads 14.4 volts

6oclock this morning

Merlin reads 11.75

Charge status 28%

Engine battery 12.8

Jobs done

Engine battery wired to smart gauge with fuse at battery end

Domestic positive refused to battery end.

Wife's used W/M 3 times in last 2weeks with engine on no problems at all with inverter.

Although domestic battery is gos low, it's lowest in the morning, but Webasto still comes on normally every morning .? I thought they were higly voltage reliant?

Charge battery's via engine perhaps 2x1.5 hrs per day

Still watching This power Hungary TV at night x 5 hours though???

Turn inverter off last thing at night,after watching TV

After engine running via charger. Battery's go to 12.6 volts,

And slowly the charge seems to be creeping up so far to 70%

So it's thing in morning

Night before 5hrs of TV 150 wats plus skybox

Early morning Webasto on,but smart gauge records voltage at 11.75 Or 11.8

All battery's are green, but does this point to battery now? Or is it the 5 hrs plus,of TV and skybox killing the battery, just before going to bed hence the morning lows?

Another week I be back at home mooring and can do the sulfercation charge?

Many thanks

Col

Edited by bigcol

Hi Col,

You are killing your batteries in double-quick time.. You really should not let them go down to 11.75 (28%) - Do no not let them get below 12.2 (50%) on a regular basis.

I suggest you give the charging a darn good blast today - - 7 or 8 hours - get the batteries as close to 99/100% as you can

And don't let them get below 50% again!!!!!

Many thanks Okay I will put the engine on in 5 minutes for charging.and will keep posted

When out on the cut, how do others keep their battery's from going below 50%.?

When out on the cut, not having a generator how long or how do they keep battery's charged

Or is it my TV and sky box from 7pm onwards

And after us being married for over 30 years, wtf do we do with no TV?

We don't have to talk do we?lol wife don't listen anyway!!

Okay engine running and will give update on smart gauge 10 ish, still keeping engine running

Ps, wife's just said a evening with out TV will be nice, now I'm scared!!

So what's mrs Beecham going to do without me in casualty!

Col

Edited by bigcol

The smart move is to get solar, as much as poss, then if you don't move the boat the batteries can be charged up properly after the evening/night's discharge.

2nd suggestion - go cruising for 6-8 hours per day - after all, without solar power, you'll be running the engine a long time to properly charge batteries, so you may as well go somewhere and see something.

3rd suggestion - get a cheap generator. This would still need running a long time, but saves the wear & tear on the (expensive) engine.

4th suggestion - sit there with the boat engine running all day, but not going anywhere. Still seen on the canals, despite being inefficient and expensive.

Re solar May look into, folks rave how good it is, have a mt8 having it installed on his boat this weekend

due to health been on shore power for last 4 years on home mooring, so these battery's have been kept topped up with 30 amp charger

First time out on the cut, now three weeks! haven't traveled far,still hospital visits.

Since being out new inverter and smart gauge installed

And always learning!!

Looked into genny but not keen on having petrol on board

The main thing lot more confident with the steering with the wheel, Horray!!!

Col

Going to go with out TV and sky tonight. Wife's going to get some wine in!!

Make it special,? What does that mean? now worried!! I've going to make sure my iPad is fully charged

Will keep charging with engine through out day,and post likewise.

These battery's have always been on charge though shore power, maybe their now lazy?

Col

If the batteries were lazy they aren't now! Starting from 70% and ending at 28% is the same power usage as starting at 100% and ending at 58%. The latter is fine, so it's just a matter of getting the batteries fully charged during the day. If you are then starting from 58% it will be quicker to get close to 100%

Re solar May look into, folks rave how good it is, have a mt8 having it installed on his boat this weekend

due to health been on shore power for last 4 years on home mooring, so these battery's have been kept topped up with 30 amp charger

Hi Col

Your power usage seems similar to ours, if you're going to be off grid for long periods solar is the answer. We had an awful weather day yesterday, ran tv + lap tops all evening with the usual fridge and other stuff like food processor. Just checked the batteries and they're nearly full with 35 to 40 /ah currently coming in from solar, no engine or genny running required. We should be in float mode by noon and as long as day remains pretty bright the batteries will remain fully charged until around 8pm.

The problem with relying on engine is you're running a bloody great engine to put in less than 10ah when batteries are near full, ok if you cruise long hours daily but utterly useless and massively wasteful on fuel if you're not moving regularly.

In this case solar isn't something to think about, it something to get fitted asap.

Edited by Julynian
  • Greenie 1

So it's thing in morning

Night before 5hrs of TV 150 wats plus skybox

5 Hours of TV at 150 watts = 750 watts.

If this is being fed via the Inverter thats about 75 amps being sucked out of the batteries - thats quite a lot to replace when added to other things like fridge, lights, pumps etc.

2.5 hrs after engine started

Smartgauge

Voltage 14.15

Status 62%

Re the TV. Aparently the sky box is also power Hungry.

Re Alan's post that be 150 amps approx,

Plus the fridge on all night

Plus Webasto that comes on at 5am

TV I can do something about, get a new one combined TV with free sat.

Colin

2.5 hrs after engine started

Smartgauge

Voltage 14.15

Status 62%

Keep going, don't turn the engine off until about an hour after SG reads 100%

At a guess that will be about 3-4 pm.

This will give you a good place to restart from and be kinder to your batteries. It may even save them

Edited by Loddon

There are two ways you can go.

Buy hydrometers, ammeters, books on theory, and become an expert on batteries.

Or just use your Smartgauge and stop charging when you reach 100%. If that isn't feasible during the week, at least try to do it once at the weekend. During the week, try not to go below 75%, or 50% at worst.

And get solar. It really will pay for itself completely this summer, assuming we get some sun!

If you aren't fully convinced, get 400 watts to start with. But plan for more by buying a bigger charge controller, because you will need more, and once you see what they can do, you will want more too!

Edited to correct spelling of hydrometer.

Edited by George94

OP - another habit we have when out cruising....We turn our 'fridge (and freezer!) off at night time, and don't turn them back on until the morning (by which time the solar panels are working again.

(The refrigeration temperature only increases by 2C overnight on average (as long as you don't keep opening the door/get the 03:00am munchies!)

Okay progress report smart gauge reads after

7.5 hours engines been on charging 1200 revs

Volts 14.20

Status 91%

This is the highest I've seen the volts, and status by far!!!

Many thanks

Colin

Wonder how much diesel I've used?

But well happy re smart gauge reading!!

Thanks all

Haven't had any complaints from nearby boats yet, I have knocked just to advise, but no ones in.

Wonder if Loddons going to right on the nail 3-4 o'clock fully charged?

To see the smart gauge up to 91% to me is absolutely brilliant!

Thanks all

Col

Edited by bigcol