Help please

Paula

Featured Posts

Non dog owners can be educated to be tolerant of others with different interests to their own, and to understand how to deal with a dog sensibly if it approaches them.

You must have missed my post about my dog. Dogs are animals and if there are people or other animals about then the dog owner should be 'tolerant' and put it on a lead.

I have had dogs all my life but do not expect anyone to have to 'deal' with mine. That is my responsibility and I am not selfish enough to pass it on to someone who has no interest in being approached by my animal.

And long leads with a auto-retract mechanism, preferably with a yapping Yorkshire terrorist on the end..... Beef up the spring and one press on the retract button and the bad tempered little critter is whisked backwards through the air before you can say 'toe-punt into the cut'..... That will soon teach the halitosis ridden dog/rat hybrid a few manners, far more effective and enjoyable than months begging the odious little runt to 'sit' and 'stay'.... Did I mention my granny was Babs Woodhouse?

I feel that educating the owners is far more important than educating the dogs. It's akin to the commonly held veiw that everyone thinks that their children are the most adorable dustbin lids in the world, we don't, they are just another burden on the welfare state (for the most part)...... Control your dogs in the same way you would a toddler, don't let them run off and run riot, be considerate of other people and please, please, please pick up their dooings when they pass a motion.... I know I sound like a dog hater, but this is not the case. Dogs need to know where the boundaries of acceptable behaviour lie, in the same way as children.

A well trained dog is a pleasure to own/be around, a badly trained dog is a pain in the ass

Edited by tomsk

I'm just not sure you've included enough age brackets in this argument.

Care to elaborate?.... It's not an argument (unless my brain is so addled that I'm arguing with myself :rolleyes: ) more a statement of fact ;)

Care to elaborate?.... It's not an argument (unless my brain is so addled that I'm arguing with myself :rolleyes: ) more a statement of fact ;)

I suppose I just think that anything beginning with 'I feel that...' is the beginning of an argument about something. I can argue just don't arg me.

More bullsh(one)t about dogs ..... SIGH !!!

A few have posted sensible, and common sense posts.

The law :- All dogs must be on a lead when not on private propery; that means everywhere outside your house and garden. Even in your car, or on your boat.

Someone said 'the law is an ass'. This proves it.

All dogs must be under control at all times, however even the best trained dog will have the odd indescrection, or the owner the odd lack of forsight, or be distracted at a bad moment. The only way to stop this is to not have dogs at all.

Despite Roger Mugford, being a main instigator of bringing dog behaviour into prominence in 1979, most people STILL DO NOT GO to dog training classes. Now even the diehards have changed their methods to kind/motivational types, and APDT classes are within range of all but the most remote of habitats, so there is NO EXCUSE.

There is no reason for 99% of undesirable behaviour by dogs. All it would take is for everyone to realize they are wrong (as I did) and get some education.

I suppose I just think that anything beginning with 'I feel that...' is the beginning of an argument about something. I can argue just don't arg me.

Hang on a mo....... No just checked, not a hint of GI or earth-bonding in this thread..... BTW have you changed your socks yet? :rolleyes:

how many thousands of these critters are going to be dumped on the street to be cared for by others over and after the holiday period?.

thrown away by animal lovers and then taken in by another group of animal overs who also manage to have themselves a very nice lifestyle while begging for money from the public.

its time to cull the lot,cats as well.

in fact do the cats first.

how many thousands of these critters are going to be dumped on the street to be cared for by others over and after the holiday period?.

thrown away by animal lovers and then taken in by another group of animal overs who also manage to have themselves a very nice lifestyle while begging for money from the public.

its time to cull the lot,cats as well.

in fact do the cats first.

A classic Gaggle post, I salute you and your cab-driving kind. I haven't heard such finely nuanced debating skills since Norman Tebbit got on his bike.... Welcome and have a beer :rolleyes:

Absolutely. Bloody nuisance.

Especially the serious ones in lycra, even more so when they come in packs.

As road users go, I have slightly more respect for the hedgehog.

The worst kind are the ones you pass carefully, then you have to stop for traffic lights and they have the audacity to sneak past again (I try not to leave enough room for them to pass on the inside). But I've got my kids trained to get 'em with the back door when I have to pass 'em a second time.

Ah yes, drivers who are desparate to overtake and then... stop in a traffic queue just ahead! (and get in the way!)

I avoid all this by... cycling on the pavement. :rolleyes:

BTW if someone's dog is hassling you/your children/your own dog unduly, all you need to do is 'move them with your foot'... ;)

cheers,

Pete.

Should unruly owners be bonded to the hull.

Chris

Returned to boat today - where do you think the dog crap was. Could have chosen anywhere from 55ft but it is almost as if it was placed deliberately in that 1ft boarding spot. Previously had owners walking the towpath who stand there similing as there dogs pee on the mooring bollards / ropes.

Obviously the owner doesn't give a s**t (the dog does that) so any by-laws are going to be completely ineffective with that type of owner as pointed out previously.

In reply to Chris's question, unruly owners should be bonded to the hull - prefrably at the same time as my 33Kv land line has an earth fault with a nail installed instead of the fuse. Not the dogs fault, more than happy to see dogs, liveabord next to me has a wonderful well behaved (and controlled) black labrador which is never any problem.

Gets down off soap box.

Peter.

:rolleyes:

Loose unruly dogs on the towpath is one thing.. AND I'M SICK OF IT... it's all over our moorings, especially where are boats are as there's 2 dogs to a boat either side :rolleyes:;):glare::rolleyes:

Edited to add... It's not fun when you walk it into the boat either, carpet, or wooden floor... It's disgusting!

Edited by Liam

the topic starter says "how is my dog to burn off all that energy if I can't let him off the lead". What concerns me here is , if the dogs off the blxxdy lead how can you exercise control over it and furthermore how can you see where it is shxxting, or perhaps they are things that don't concern you too much. Why is it when people take on responsibility for a animal they they seem to think the more difficult aspects of pet ownership should be everyone elses problem.

If you are not prepared to be a responsible dog owner then I can only hope that your boating neighbours make sure that they return little fluffykins's smelly deposits onto YOUR front deck, after all it is YOUR dog YOUR responsibility.

Rant mode off, toys back in the pram

What concerns me here is , if the dogs off the blxxdy lead how can you exercise control over it

SIGH !! and DOUBLE SIGH !!!

This is EXACTLY what I was refering to in my earlier post.

If EVERYONE went to dog training classes, we would all be educated in dog ownership.

We would then KNOW that you should always WATCH YOUR DOG, and that after the intitial training period, the dog ALWAYS THINKS it is on the lead, even when it is the other side of the field. So you can drop your dog on command, and ALWAYS be in control of your dog.

SIGH !! and DOUBLE SIGH !!!

If EVERYONE went to dog training classes, we would all be educated in dog ownership.

We would then KNOW that you should always WATCH YOUR DOG, and that after the intitial training period, the dog ALWAYS THINKS it is on the lead, even when it is the other side of the field. So you can drop your dog on command, and ALWAYS be in control of your dog.

I've done the training thing, done the reward thing, done the "who's a good dog thing" done the "who's a bad dog thing" and still after 12 years I have absolutely no control over my dog when he is off the lead...so he stays on it. I've had dogs all my life and this is the only one that has defeated me, it's not that he had bad intentions...he is just monumentally stupid...but adorable with it.