Help please

Paula

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Its been a while since I've been on here so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. I've just found out that Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council has proposed various measures to control dogs in public places. I agree with some of their proposals, but it clearly states that dogs must be kept on a lead at all times when on BW land!! No more long walks down the towpath with Jack Dog!!

I know this is only Crewe and Nantwich, but I know of other areas where this may happen. Lots of us have dogs on boats and they enjoy a good run down the towpath. I can't afford a £1000 fine.

I've just rung BW at Northwich who know nothing about this order!!!!

Please go on www.crewe-nantwich.gov.uk select Your Council followed by Consultation

Please contact jan.griffiths@crewe-nantwich.gov.uk to express your concerns

Please ring BW at Northwich 01606 723800 and find out their reasoning behind this.

Sorry to have a rant, but I feeel that this is really important, it may happen in your area!!

Thanks for your support.

Paula XX

Firstly let me say I had a dog for 13 yrs before we had to have her put down, so I'm not a dog hater.

Secondly I agree that dogs should be kept on a lead on towpaths. Its not an open field for them to run around and even small dogs can be very intimidating if they bound up close to a stranger who doesnt know the dog.

I for one do not want to lose my balance avoiding a dog and end up in the canal.

Please keep it on a lead and think of other folk. If it needs a run take it where there is more room.

Badger

I take your point about dogs on towpaths and again thats down to responsible ownership. I'm sure most dog owners reading this site would keep their dogs under control, but for Jack to be on the boat all day and then walked on a lead in the evening, there is no chance for him to burn off that terrier energy.

I do think people should be given the given to exercise their dogs in a controlled manner.

Paula XX

I do think people should be given the given to exercise their dogs in a controlled manner.

I agree but a dog off a lead on a narrow towpath where there are cyclists, anglers, children and people busy with mooring their boat is not , IMHO, a controlled manner. A controlled manner means, or I take it to mean, in a way in which you the owner can exercise control over the dog. Controlled to me means in a confined private area (a small field for example), or on a lead.

Chris

But Paula and other dog-owning boaters pay their licences, and if they didn't the cyclists and anglers wouldn't have a towpath. Jack Dog has more right to be there than they do.

Anglers should know their place, and cyclists should be banned (unless lock-wheeling)

It depends on the person and it depends on the dog. For example I have two dogs, one of whom ALWAYS has to be on a lead because (apart from the fact that she runs away when given her freedom) she is a big friendly dog who tends to jump up and would almost certainly end up pushing one of her new frinds inot the water. The other dog, however, NEVER goes on a lead because he is smaller, obedient, can be kept under control, and while is just as friendly he only jumps straight up and down vertically in excitement at meeting new people.

It depends on the person and it depends on the dog. For example I have two dogs, one of whom ALWAYS has to be on a lead because (apart from the fact that she runs away when given her freedom) she is a big friendly dog who tends to jump up and would almost certainly end up pushing one of her new frinds inot the water. The other dog, however, NEVER goes on a lead because he is smaller, obedient, can be kept under control, and while is just as friendly he only jumps straight up and down vertically in excitement at meeting new people.

Indeed, but as a parent who has had two children both pushed over by dogs on various occasions, and bitten on another (and no it wasn't tormenting the animal), I for one would prefer to see dogs that I'm not familiar with kept under control of a lead.

But Paula and other dog-owning boaters pay their licences, and if they didn't the cyclists and anglers wouldn't have a towpath. Jack Dog has more right to be there than they do.

Firstly, I am not anti-dog but it's the dog-owner paying the licence fee not the dog (SFAIAA). I'm also not aware one pays a licence to have a dog on the canal or that dogs in general contribute positively towards the canals in any direct or indirect way (other than in the eyes of their owners). We have boats and cars and pay licence fees for them but we have to use them in a controlled manner. Cyclists don't pay road-fund licence; are you suggesting they have less right to be on the road? It's not a question of freedom, it's a question of common-sense responsibility, safety and health.

Chris

Cyclists don't pay road-fund licence; are you suggesting they have less right to be on the road?

Absolutely. Bloody nuisance.

Especially the serious ones in lycra, even more so when they come in packs.

As road users go, I have slightly more respect for the hedgehog.

The worst kind are the ones you pass carefully, then you have to stop for traffic lights and they have the audacity to sneak past again (I try not to leave enough room for them to pass on the inside). But I've got my kids trained to get 'em with the back door when I have to pass 'em a second time.

Edited by Moley

I like dogs but I've been attacked by a boxer on the towpath that was off the lead and couldn't be controled by its owner. Left me with a hole in the arm of my jacket. Yesterday a small black poodle ran up barking and went for my ankles - fortunately it stopped short. The woman (not from a boat), just smiled as she went past. I don't think she realised how close her dog came to being booted into the cut! (and yes I would do it).

The trouble is that unlike an open field, a towpath is a narrow linear area and many dogs intuitivly feel threatend by approaching strangers because there is no way to avoid meeting.

Edited by blackrose

I've both a dog owner, and very much a dog lover.

I had a chunk taken out of the leg of my pants when riding past the neighbouring moorings to where I keep my boat.

Riding along, on my way to the boat down the towpath and this dog appeared from nowhere and took a chunk out of the leg of my pants. I told the woman who didn't give a shit, which made my very mad... was about to throw the dog in the cut but I thought again...

I can't think they'll be able to enforce the law. You know if your dog is a menace and should be on a lead wherever you are, let alone a tow-path. But to penalise well-behaved woofers seems stupid. It's like banning hoodies. Let's just lock up all teenagers just in case!

There have been a few pro/anti dog threads on here and I have said before (to a chorus of boos) that the irresponsible dog owner is the dogs worst enemy and their lack of discipline is asking for repressive legislation. The council concerned isn't doing this because they are nasty people, they are doing this on behalf of their constituents for whom presumably the situation has become intolerable. Having served on a district council, I can tell you that this sort of action is not taken lightly (dog owners are voters too).

you know if your dog is a menace and should be on a lead wherever you are, let alone a tow-path.

I'm sure that many, even most, dog-owners are sensible in this regard but equally I'm sure many aren't and it only takes one dog to cause anquish, injury or something worse. As someone earlier quite rightly pointed out we, as users of the towpath, have no way of knowing whether your approaching dog is well-behaved or not and discretion is the better part of valour as they say.

Chris

Im most certainly against it, as a cycalist, boat owner, and (although not current) dog owner.

The thing is, as has been mentioned before, its so heavly down to the dog/owber/others about/location, that there is no way thats its suitable to solve any perceaved problem with a blanket ban!

- While in places such as the picnic area outside nantwich marina in peak summer it would be wholy unsuitable to have certain dogs off the lead, or not held.

- An hours boating later, an your right in the middle of know where. Miles of unocupided towpath, and a great place to give any dog a good run out after a day on the boat.

In remote places we often used to let pippa off at a bridgehole, let he run about on the towpath, and then pick her back up a few hundread yrds later on.

- She never did any harm (rairly even met anyone else), was very much under our control, and then got back on a much calmer animal.

Daniel