Help please

Paula

Featured Posts

I have done the same... dropped the dog off at one bridge hole and picked it up further along the way.

If you're on your boat and your dog it outside, and kids come along with their parents in tow. Your dog sees the kids, gets up and walks over to see what's going on and to say hello. The kid(s) panic, and run away screaming. My dog would start wagging his tail and think it's a game and trot along afterwards ready to lick you to death.

But the kid doesn't know that do they.

Im most certainly against it, as a cycalist, boat owner, and (although not current) god owner.

The thing is, as has been mentioned before, its so heavly down to the dog/owber/others about/location, that there is no way thats its suitable to solve any perceaved problem with a blanket ban!

- While in places such as the picnic area outside nantwich marina in peak summer it would be wholy unsuitable to have certain dogs off the lead, or not held.

- An hours boating later, an your right in the middle of know where. Miles of unocupided towpath, and a great place to give any dog a good run out after a day on the boat.

In remote places we often used to let pippa off at a bridgehole, let he run about on the towpath, and then pick her back up a few hundread yrds later on.

- She never did any harm (rairly even met anyone else), was very much under our control, and then got back on a much calmer animal.

Daniel

I wish I had my own deity at my beck and call :)

Im most certainly against it, as a cycalist, boat owner, and (although not current) god owner.

The thing is, as has been mentioned before, its so heavly down to the dog/owber/others about/location, that there is no way thats its suitable to solve any perceaved problem with a blanket ban!

- While in places such as the picnic area outside nantwich marina in peak summer it would be wholy unsuitable to have certain dogs off the lead, or not held.

- An hours boating later, an your right in the middle of know where. Miles of unocupided towpath, and a great place to give any dog a good run out after a day on the boat.

In remote places we often used to let pippa off at a bridgehole, let he run about on the towpath, and then pick her back up a few hundread yrds later on.

- She never did any harm (rairly even met anyone else), was very much under our control, and then got back on a much calmer animal.

Daniel

I wish I had my own deity at my beck and call :) (Damn and blast, beaten to the punchline)

I wish I had my own deity at my beck and call :) (Damn and blast, beaten to the punchline)
Blasphamy from the site crew! :cheers:
Ahh dam it, you know what i mean! Dyslexics unite!

I take it you would stop and moor up to pick up any little messages she left?
That my freind, is another topic in its own right.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5418

Daniel

Why is Dyslexia such a hard word to spell?
Its not! very easy, never had a problem with it, just write it as it sounds!

- Not too supprisingly, the word dyslexic was invented by a dyslexic, and hence we have very little problem with its spelling, unlike most of the rest of english.

Or should it be "Dyslexics untie!"
Nono! a funny comment non the least.

http://www.useless-knowledge.com/articles/apr/aug066.html

I actually planned to write "Dyslexics untie",= as a funny comment, however, it came out as 'unite', tiwce! So i left it.

Daniel

My dog has slept with chickens perched on him, he can walk through a field of sheep and not even notice them, my son could ride around on his back without him noticing and he would walk past people on the tow path with barely a nod in their direction. BUT, I would never leave him alone in a room with my kids, he does not stay unattended with any other animal and he is always on a lead on public footpaths, towpaths or fields with livestock. He is a dog, a natural hunter with weapons to suit. He may never attack another person, worry sheep or be a nuisance in any way but I can only guarantee that by being a responsible owner.

People who let their dog run alongside the boat are irresponsible. If you want your dog to run unleashed then find a field where they can do so with no risk of them being at risk or putting others at risk.

My dog had his leg bitten off by another dog who 'normally would never hurt a fly'. It wasn't on a lead and the owner, until that moment, trusted his companion completely. He never split the vet's bill either, like he promised.

Edited to say: Three 'risks' in a sentence? Just making my point.

Edited by carlt

Let's consider for the moment what will be the consequences if they introduce this ban.

The people who are responsible dog owners will obey it. Those who aren't, who will be the ones with the dogs causing the problem, won't. So unless the council comes up with money to pay people to patrol the towpaths to enforce it, there will be no diminuation of any nuisance. And they won't do that because, like all other councils, they won't have enough money to cover their existing responsibilities.

There seems to be a growing trend in this country to believe that if you pass a law, then you've done the job. And yet people still drive around talking into mobile phones and people on horses still hunt foxes. Unless you resource enforcement, laws are meaningless.

And I predict that will be just another such.

Let's just scrap all laws, law enforcement and justice then. Just because the authorities can't be bothered to enforce a law, doesn't make it a bad law, just a bad authority. As the majority of responsible dog owners would follow the law, then there would be a reduction in the number of dogs off their leash. This is a good thing.

I would be in favour of this, my dog is always on a lead even when he is sat on the tug deck, on more than one occasion other peoples dogs have jumped on our boat and a scrap has ensued, my dog is old, a bit blind and isn't that used to other dogs so he doesn't like his space invaded. On more than one occasion other dogs have bounded up to us on the towpath and despite me asking the owners to keep them under control we have had a cuffufle, nothing serious so far but it get's my goat when my dog is on a lead.

Absolutely. Bloody nuisance.

Especially the serious ones in lycra, even more so when they come in packs.

As road users go, I have slightly more respect for the hedgehog.

The worst kind are the ones you pass carefully, then you have to stop for traffic lights and they have the audacity to sneak past again (I try not to leave enough room for them to pass on the inside). But I've got my kids trained to get 'em with the back door when I have to pass 'em a second time.

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, Ade, and assume this would all be littered with "tongue in cheek" smileys, if they were available.

Sadly I'm not sure that all your anti-cyclist comments were entirely tongue in cheek.

I agree there are some fairly irresponsible cyclists, though it's doubtful whether as a group they are statistically worse than motorists, and having recently studied the stats, the accidents and injuries that can be attributed to them are insignificant compared to those meeted out by motor vehicles. (For example, I seem to recall that as a pedestrian you are about 20 times more likely to to be injured by a car on the footway, than you are by a bike in any circumstances....)

It does astound me that there are people, (perhaps not you ?), who are genuinely incensed that in some traffic situations cyclists can make faster progress than motorists. Do they seriously imagine that if all the cyclists left their bikes at home, and all used single occupancy cars instead, that the existing motorists would get to their destination faster ? I don't think so!

Rant over!

Aaah but the moderators have special, secret powers.

Next time I make a joke I'll have to make it 'invisible edit proof'.

Like 'did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic contemplating whether there was a...towpath problem in Nantwich'

Anyway, I have always found, in my limited experience, that dyslexics are generally much more sociable than the rest of us and they make good jokes too and we fall into the trap of thinking they were accidental.

As with so many things this is down to education.

There is nothing wrong with a dog having a run on an empty towpath..if people/cyclists/boaters/anglers appear, then educate it to come to you to be put on a lead.

Dog owners can be educated to be responsible and do the above.

Non dog owners can be educated to be tolerant of others with different interests to their own, and to understand how to deal with a dog sensibly if it approaches them.

Children can be educated in the above and can then make an educated decision when deciding whether to own a dog later in life.

You won't always agree with someone's point of view, but if you understand the subject you should commmand some respect. Too many people own dogs and don't understand them, or don't own them, don't understand them, but want their uneducated view heard.