Featured Posts

Ok I am probably being thick, how do give my location by picking on the map (using phone if if is different to desktop).

there should be an option above the map to type in your location? You may need to switch to landscape mode to see the buttons though.

Yep there is an option to type in the location, but given you are looking at a map of where you are then picking the map is really the obvious thing to do. I know this is generic but locations are not really great for canals.

Having left Braunston an hour ago ( the Pedigree in the Boat House was particularly good) I see there is one member in Braunston on the high street, how did they get the boat up the hill!

Yep there is an option to type in the location, but given you are looking at a map of where you are then picking the map is really the obvious thing to do. I know this is generic but locations are not really great for canals.

Having left Braunston an hour ago ( the Pedigree in the Boat House was particularly good) I see there is one member in Braunston on the high street, how did they get the boat up the hill!

It's not about where your boat is it's about where YOU are.

Besides somebody perhaps did not wish to give their precise location...

It's not about where your boat is it's about where YOU are.

Besides somebody perhaps did not wish to give their precise location...

No , it is about whatever location you want to give, the point is can you pick the location from the map? Putting "Bridge 100 Grand Union" into the location I s not going to get you far.

So we've got Tuscan in Norfolk Virginia, Richard in Chernobyl, (Q: why shouldn't you visit a damaged atomic power station in Ukraine with a loose zip? A: because Chernobyl fallout.) etc etc

So the moral being that you can give humanity the most fantastic technology, but they will always find a way to misuse it!

Edited by nicknorman

No , it is about whatever location you want to give, the point is can you pick the location from the map? Putting "Bridge 100 Grand Union" into the location I s not going to get you far.

Well yes, the point was you can hardly get a boat up to the centre of Braunston,

Anyway I am now Leo...

Edited by The Dog House

Well yes, the point was you can hardly get a boat up to the centre of Braunston,

Anyway I am now Leo...

Quite, the point being can you you pick your location from the map, or else how you you do it with more granularity than for example "Braunston".

Quite, the point being can you you pick your location from the map, or else how you you do it with more granularity than for example "Braunston".

From a smartphone or tablet with built in GPS you just click the location icon and it automatically sets your current location.

Ed: Less granularity surely, not more?

Edited by nicknorman

From a smartphone or tablet with built in GPS you just click the location icon and it automatically sets your current location.

Ed: Less granularity surely, not more?

I am clearly missing something, update location. Seems to just bring up a type in field to enter your location.

I meant. "more" typing the location as "Braunston" for example is not very granular given you are looking at a map of exactly where you are. Clearly you may not want the granularity, but is was just asking is you could provide it if you wished.

I think we have different concepts of what "granularity" means. For me, it means dividing into lumps. More granularity = larger lumps = less precise location. But I suspect you mean that you want to give your location more precisely? Higher or lower resolution would perhaps be a more universally understood concept. Anyway, presuming you mean higher resolution (more detailed position) as I said there should be a location button if you are using a location-aware computer. For example, on my iPad there is the compass-type icon just to the right of the location box and to the left of the save icon:

13651491913_618b95de56_z.jpg

Member map by nick.norman, on Flickr

I am sure that the computer will effectively fill in the box using latitude and longitude, so you should be able to do likewise if you know the correct format? Any clues, Tesla?

Also you could give a street address or postcode which will be more precise than "Braunston" though you would have a problem if no-where near a road.

Edited by nicknorman