Featured Posts

I just tried entering my latitude and longitude and it does work. I put in N57 12.3 W002 12.3 and that put me near Aberdeen, which is correct. So it's N S E or W degrees, space, minutes and decimals of minutes. Of course, to make that work you would need to know where you were and that could be tricky for narrowboaters who are only used to working in 1 dimension!

Hey hey we're on there now! When I put Audlem in I don't know where we ended up but there was no blob over Audlem. Then I looked up the postcode for the Shroppie Fly and hey presto we've arrived! <<waves>>

Am I going to get messages everytime a member moves ?

In 7 minutes I have had 6 messages that the 'same member' has moved

Not sure I'm liking all this techo stuff.

Hmm, see what you mean. Will see if we can turn that off maybe...

I love this new feature - thank you! Whether I'll remember to update our location remains to be seen though :)

Saying that it's very likely we'll be static for long periods very soon - it'd be nice if people knew where to find us and pop in for a cuppa.

I just tried entering my latitude and longitude and it does work. I put in N57 12.3 W002 12.3 and that put me near Aberdeen, which is correct. So it's N S E or W degrees, space, minutes and decimals of minutes. Of course, to make that work you would need to know where you were and that could be tricky for narrowboaters who are only used to working in 1 dimension!

Hey Brilliant,

I will give that a go

This is marvelous. Although I don't really care about entering my own location, (I'm lazy), I do hope Dr Bradley updates his on a continuous basis....he's always flitting around, and it's nice to know where he is :)

Not sure about all this. Junior is in continent and RLWP is in the Falkland Isles. :unsure:

My location is correct! I'm currently sat at Berth 8, Calais Port and I just clicked the 'auto populate location' and enabled my GPS on my phone. It's placed me pretty much exactly where I really am.

Presumably, as it is a Bing map, all of the things you can do with Bing work

Shame it isn't a Google map...

It was (member map v1) originally based on a google map, but then removed support for the api used, and the jump was made to bing as it matches the map used by invision for the gallery....

Daniel

It was (member map v1) originally based on a google map, but then removed support for the api used, and the jump was made to bing as it matches the map used by invision for the gallery....

Daniel

Can I just add, as someone who relies on mapping for their profession, that Bing runs rings round Google for accuracy at least in Great Britain. Most of the time it won't matter, but on the odd occasion it might.

I think we have different concepts of what "granularity" means. For me, it means dividing into lumps. More granularity = larger lumps = less precise location. But I suspect you mean that you want to give your location more precisely? Higher or lower resolution would perhaps be a more universally understood concept. Anyway, presuming you mean higher resolution (more detailed position) as I said there should be a location button if you are using a location-aware computer. For example, on my iPad there is the compass-type icon just to the right of the location box and to the left of the save icon:

13651491913_618b95de56_z.jpg

Member map by nick.norman, on Flickr

I am sure that the computer will effectively fill in the box using latitude and longitude, so you should be able to do likewise if you know the correct format? Any clues, Tesla?

Also you could give a street address or postcode which will be more precise than "Braunston" though you would have a problem if no-where near a road.

Thanks for that Nick.

The problem I was having was that I was using the mobile version on my phone, and that chops off the text field to update the location so you do not see the compass icon at all, and not knowing what I was looking for it was not obvious that it does that. So the solution on an iPhone at least it to turn the phone sideways and you then see all the box and can use the compass icon, you will need to enable location services for the browser that you are using. So I enabled that and it worked, but it did do a rather poor job of the location, but at least it did work.

I am now using a netbook connected to the phone by wifi, and that not surprisingly does not know the location.

My location is correct! I'm currently sat at Berth 8, Calais Port and I just clicked the 'auto populate location' and enabled my GPS on my phone. It's placed me pretty much exactly where I really am.

I now realise that this is tracking the individual and not their boat. It still does not explain why TDH was on a different planet yesterday.

mango, on 06 Apr 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

I now realise that this is tracking the individual and not their boat. It still does not explain why TDH was on a different planet yesterday.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that but you can manually enter your location so I experimented with a few permutations of street and town names, full post code and half post code, even just entering 'North Pole' got a result and put me there.

I assume it misidentified the loco depot

This could be a useful feature for the BCN Challenge. We have tried different software to show our track before, this would put us all on the same map. Downside is having to update manually

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Right,,,I am now going to leave my mooring,go with the tide to the River Bar, then punch the tide to Arundel before returning to my mooring at Littlehampton,,is there a function that Will Automatically Track or Up Date, or will I have to Manually Punch in ?.

Its all manual for now but I may be able to get it to track at some point.

Is it possible to fix the width of the location field in the mobile version so that it sizes to the screen width?

On any version - not many addresses will fill that field

Richard

Thats interesting,,

Taking it a step further, maybe for a fee,or Donations to CWDF you could use it as a security boat tracker for it's members, like others that are on the market. But viewable from this website. You coul have a 'Button' that you could click on to alert Emergency services to the location EG Fire,Ambulance, Doctor Donut Delivery,

Its all manual for now but I may be able to get it to track at some point.

Even if it's a 'version' that would require a magic box to be supplied & discreetly wired in.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

On any version - not many addresses will fill that field

Richard

Yes true, but on iPhone at least that field is displayed much longer then the screen is wide, hence you do not see the compass icon to set position from your current location.

Yes true, but on iPhone at least that field is displayed much longer then the screen is wide, hence you do not see the compass icon to set position from your current location.

Yes, I was pointing out that there is no downside

Richard