summers on the way.

tjderby

Featured Posts

tjderby" data-cid="1277950" data-time="1396390987" data-date="Today, 11:23 PM said:

It going to be my first summer on a boat. And I cannot wait. Anyone got many plans this summer?

Boating wise we will be carrying on getting our new pup used to being on the boat, non boating we are off to Devon in June and Normandy in September.

Lots of our summer will I guess be taken up with being new grandparents, she is due 26 th July.

Edited by The Dog House

Sadly this will be the first summer in 5 years that we won't be doing very much boating. After 5 years ccing the coffers are dry so we need to get a permanent mooring and work for a while.

I'm sure we'll still be making lots of mini excursions though :)

Next year we'll hopefully continue our boating adventure - we've covered a lot of the network on the west side and in the east midlands but have neglected the north east. And the Thames and K&A. Loads more for us to do.

I know that feeling ange. Buying a boat has coat me a few quid lol. Thankfully I have a full time job and have quiet a few days day each months. So I can have a couple of weeks away here and there. And congrats dog house. Hope all goes well.

After our first Winter (bought Milady in October 2013), with significant delays from closures, we are at last near home, hoping to get some work done at Rodley. With solar, and a more powerful alternator, we hope to be able to turn on the fridge and keep the milk from going off in the heat of Summer. judge.gif

Then at last, we can cruise just for pleasure: current thoughts stray to the Llangothlen and the Lancaster, but who knows (except we don't plan to risk the Huddersfield Narrow again - re-blacking after 5 months due to scraping the last lot off seems a bind!)

I'll know not to go up there then lol. I to would like to do the Llangollen. Not sure how to get there from Derbyshire though lol. Not to mention how long it would take. I'll be glad when I'm no longer a newbie lol

I'll know not to go up there then lol. I to would like to do the Llangollen. Not sure how to get there from Derbyshire though lol. Not to mention how long it would take. I'll be glad when I'm no longer a newbie lol

I think the Rochdale and Leeds & Liverpool are better. For route planning I'll pass on a suggestion made to me: try http://canalplan.eu

That site tells you which canals to use, where to stop each night and also how long you need to plan for the voyage to take; lots of customisable bits, like how long you'll cruise each day, how long you take for locks and swing/lift bridges and you can enter a starting date and it tells you how much daylight (time of dawn and dusk) there is each day. I've rarely met their targets (as often beaten them as not managed to get that far), but it does give you something to reason about - and you can always recalculate the rest of the voyage when you are ahead, or behind, their schedule.

Happy cruising,

Roger (no longer quite such a novice) smile.png

edited to remove typos etc.

Edited by MyLady

I am planning to leave Nottingham to do the Llangollen is a couple of weeks, stopping at Gosnell for the banter and meeting up with friends on the way. I am taking 5 weeks off work, which is unheard of, and can't wait!

According to the ac planner is should take around 10 days, but that is without stopping to chat, just cos I can, Or raiding local charity shops, or waiting for a certain spotty cat to decide she wants to return to the boat!

Hi ya,

Hope we get the weather soon for you to enjoy your new boat.good luck with the sale.

Ime not doing a lot this year as I'm selling my boat,so will be getting het ready for the next lucky owner.

Hopefully if it sells this season,I will be getting a replacement for the winter to titavate,

Our first summer as boat-dwellers. We locked the house and moved onto the boat three weeks ago. Starting to feel like real live-aboards now. Have had the right of passage of being awoken to the low-battery alarm on the inverter, and discovered that we really need a way to get post so we can continue our ebay habits.

Currently on the Great Ouse, at St Ives. As soon as Denver lock opens we'll be heading across the Middle Level and up the Nene to the canals. FIrst stop is the Easter meeting at Foxton. After that northwest, probably via the Soar and the T&M.

MP.

Envy? Yes. Soon to follow suit? Yes.

See you somewhere. Spot the green beastie with Nightwatch on the side. My only problem I have, and I do mention this often, is, how am I going to grow dreadlocks and will they suit me?

Martyn

Carnt be far from me, used to moor at Willington, now at Kings Bromley, our first trip out is Saturday to the Erewash for Paul Barber to slip out and black her as well as some welding. Will probably moor nearby the dragon Saturday night

Summer is def on its way!

Just back from a week on the K&A ...ok in the rain and hail but a bit of sunshine too, and now am finalising my purchase of a share in NB Honeystreet! Got the two weeks booked off in August so will have to look at the plans and see where we can go in two weeks from Gayton! I like the Country side and Mrs Dharl likes a bit more urban so guess we are spoilt for choice.

well after several days of smog so thick you couldn't even see across the valley, the wind has changed and this was 15 minutes ago.

20140404_200934_zpsytilfldh.jpg

This Summers plans depend on where the work is, the Leicester ring will get done - possibly the LLangollen too, and maybe up to Gnossal at Easter, boat moves allowing......

well after several days of smog so thick you couldn't even see across the valley, the wind has changed and this was 15 minutes ago.

20140404_200934_zpsytilfldh.jpg

This Summers plans depend on where the work is, the Leicester ring will get done - possibly the LLangollen too, and maybe up to Gnossal at Easter, boat moves allowing......

And maybe the BCN?

Our summer plans are quite simple really.

As soon as the solar panels arrive and are fitted, the new battery bank ordered, arrives and installed and the storage boxes are fitted we'll be leaving Braunston and heading to Warwick, then turn around and head south down the GU to Reading (taking in the Napton Easter Banter either on our way to Warwick or the way back), join the K&A to Bristol and turn around to be back in Bath by late July, then start the journey back up to Warwick to arrive somewhere around October / November :)

Stopping where ever suits our fancy, learning loads along the way, meeting some great characters along the way and enjoying life

Our summer plans are quite simple really.

As soon as the solar panels arrive and are fitted, the new battery bank ordered, arrives and installed and the storage boxes are fitted we'll be leaving Braunston and heading to Warwick, then turn around and head south down the GU to Reading (taking in the Napton Easter Banter either on our way to Warwick or the way back), join the K&A to Bristol and turn around to be back in Bath by late July, then start the journey back up to Warwick to arrive somewhere around October / November smile.png

Stopping where ever suits our fancy, learning loads along the way, meeting some great characters along the way and enjoying life

That's right,,you just keep heading South, it will be great to see your Millionaires Shortbread, Oops I mean You (cough cough) Yes see You,!.