For sale.............

Tony K

Featured Posts

As there is no clue in the title, it's the "Old Walsall canal museum to be auctioned off", to save you all clicking the link.

More from the link:

An historic former canal museum, which has stood empty for more than 10 years, is to go under the hammer.

The grade II-listed former museum in Old Birchills, has fallen into a state of disrepair over the years. It also has an old lock keeper’s cottage.

It is poised to go under the hammer for between £90,000 and £98,000 at the auction at Villa Park on February 25. The canal museum closed in 2003.

The description of the building states: “The former museum is two storey, the lock cottage is single storey and has recently been refurbished to a high standard, for use as a single dwelling, whereas the museum building is in need of repair and improvement.”

It adds there are plans to redevelop the ex-museum into a residential development comprising two separate units.

MtB

I rather think this is a desperate method of selling very undesirable property in a highly undesirable location.

Sad to say this area is the haven for drugs, vice and anti western attitudes openly expressed now and has a crime rate to make anyones eyes water. The area in one simple term is evil.

Don't let anyone be fooled by the historic importance of the buildings blinding the real truth of what is in store if you went to live or work there,

Regards,

Laurence

see: http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/postcode/WS28QD

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I rather think this is a desperate method of selling very undesirable property in a highly undesirable location.

Sad to say this area is the haven for drugs, vice and anti western attitudes openly expressed now and has a crime rate to make anyones eyes water. The area in one simple term is evil.

Don't let anyone be fooled by the historic importance of the buildings blinding the real truth of what is in store if you went to live or work there,

Regards,

Laurence

That's a shame because when we visited by road earlier this year, it all seemed very pleasant and peaceful, and there are a few boats moored there (on the offside). However I am aware of the stream of CRT emails reporting the services out of action due to vandalism so clearly there is a problem there, but like all these things, perhaps just a few bad'uns?

It looks like a very nice building, at a very nice location. Surely, it needs to be occupied, to get rid of the trouble?

I'll give it a go, for free, if it is that bad....

unless somebody else has their eye on it....

Regards,

Laurence

your link dont work...

People said this about Hackney

Now its half a million quid for a 2 bed 'Victorian conversation bodge up flat with a crap bathroom and a bus stop outside'

Places do "change" but then maybe London is another story :rolleyes:

Maybe it would make a nice Mosque ;)

On Google maps, it shows a sign outside dated (I think) 2012, saying 'Sold at auction' so somebody either bought as an investment, or gave up on their plans.

Looks like the last person to show any interest in the land behind it was a pilot in the Luftwaffe.

Sad to say this area is the haven for drugs, vice and anti western attitudes openly expressed now and has a crime rate to make anyones eyes water.

I thought Walsall was famous only for its concerto until I discovered Smirnoff.

Regards,

Laurence

I personally haven't visited the area since 2011 when I moored in the town basin for two nights but I can't believe the situation is as bad as you suggest. I tried the crime statistics link that you provided but it really didn't say much of interest about the Birchills area specifically, most of the crime on that list seemed to be based in the Town Centre and areas immediately to the south. Are you suggesting that the area is so dangerous that boaters should not visit it or at least not traverse the Walsall Junction Canal? If so, this won't please the organisers of next years floating market which will take place only a few hundred yards away. I would also expect that, reading your comments, other organisations trying to improve usage of the Curly Wyrley (Lichfield and Hatherton for example) must be starting to think they might be backing a loser also, even though C&RT has recently spent a fair sized sum on lock repairs.

Birchill's really isnt that bad, however Beechdale/Bloxwich etc is very very rough. Do not stop in Bloxwich. Your boat will more than likely get weighed in. (Im really not joking)

Brownhills/Pelsall is a good area to stop, however you would not get me stopping in Bloxwich for love nor money.

Is this on the Walsall canal? I've got that pencilled in for the BCN challenge route. Should it be avoided?

No it's fine - when we went there (the top lock by the property in question), no litter, no-one around and the locks look in reasonable condition. However it might be wise to avoid night stopping at the top lock (although there is a vaguely secure mooring for 1 boat) but at the bottom lock / junction with the town arm there is an offside pontoon which looks fine (though tricky to get off into the street) or the basin itself. The rest of the Walsall canal is just shallow and rubbishy but we didn't encounter any problem humans.

Anyway, the whole point of the challenge is to go to places some folk (who haven't actually done it) might consider "to be avoided".

Edited by nicknorman

Birchill's really isnt that bad, however Beechdale/Bloxwich etc is very very rough. Do not stop in Bloxwich. Your boat will more than likely get weighed in. (Im really not joking)

Brownhills/Pelsall is a good area to stop, however you would not get me stopping in Bloxwich for love nor money.

I got shot by an air rifle in Bloxwich while trying to pole off whatever obstruction the boat had got stuck on in the middle of the canal. But that was about 30 years ago!

Nothings changed we used to get yobs shooting catapults ( is that how you spell it ? ) back in the 50's round the Coalpool area also Rough Wood, Devils Elbow etc .... by the way Tony where abouts is the Hornets Nest , I'll give that bit a miss next time I'm out

Edited by winja

I personally haven't visited the area since 2011 when I moored in the town basin for two nights but I can't believe the situation is as bad as you suggest. I tried the crime statistics link that you provided but it really didn't say much of interest about the Birchills area specifically, most of the crime on that list seemed to be based in the Town Centre and areas immediately to the south. Are you suggesting that the area is so dangerous that boaters should not visit it or at least not traverse the Walsall Junction Canal? If so, this won't please the organisers of next years floating market which will take place only a few hundred yards away. I would also expect that, reading your comments, other organisations trying to improve usage of the Curly Wyrley (Lichfield and Hatherton for example) must be starting to think they might be backing a loser also, even though C&RT has recently spent a fair sized sum on lock repairs.

I think you have missed the point I was making, passing through the area is on most occasions without too much hassle, there are however a gang of Muslim youths who can and do get quite vocal and harass boaters, we have been in the firing line twice and they aren't pleasant to have around. The police are more than aware of these incidents and now the top lock and amenities have no less than three CCTV cameras aimed at them, this has caused the problem to go further down the flight and often they hang around lock 2.

The point I was making is that several bodies have tried to live in the cottage and do something there but the buildings have been heavily vandalised and there have been arson attacks. They may look an attractive investment but you would rapidly find out what the area has on offer is not equitable to a tranquil scene.

BW got out, their subsequent tenants got out, the lock cottage was sold, left uninhabited as no one wanted to live there, CRT have washed their hands of the site and the council abandoned the museum, it kind of says something doesn't it!

Whilst the Wyrley is now as good as any cruiseway with loads of facilities, Birchills is best passed through earlier in the day, I wouldn't advise mooring there overnight, better to go down into the town arm which is now all finished with a nice hotel, restaurant and a pub. The mooring pontoons on the entrance of the arm are not used and I believe are going to be relocated.

I think you have missed the point I was making, passing through the area is on most occasions without too much hassle....................

................................Birchills is best passed through earlier in the day, I wouldn't advise mooring there overnight,

But your first post didn't say anything like that Lawrence. The only point you made was an apparently knowledgable statement of fact sufficient to scare the s**t out of any boater thinking of visiting the area. I reposted your comments/advice on the Walsall Past & Present Facebook page (no names, no packdrill) and that really did stir up a hornet's nest. People who have lived in that area all their lives responded to defend it vehemently pointing out that the different cultures now making up the Birchills populace generally live fairly harmoniously. Perhaps the failure of owners to make a go of either the old boatmen's rest or the toll/lock house, is due more to their location surrounded by dereliction and waste land than an excessive proportion of local scroats. As for mooring overnight, why on earth would anyone want to moor in such a derelict industrial area when it's so well known that you can have a near perfect mooring just a few hundred yards down the locks, that's if you can find a space amongst the Polish night fishermen.

But thanks for your second post any way which, to my mind, went some way to redress. Whilst I may still not agree with your assessment, you have every right to state it but please think a bit laterally about how your comments may be perceived by others who don't know the area. I didn't count them but there were at least two posts from contributors thinking of altering their BCN Challenge plans after seeing what you wrote and possibly others who haven't responded who have been frightened off.

Under BW I was offered this property at a ridiculously cheap rent, I turned it down on the grounds that back then (1999) the vandalism was too bad. I stand by my first post which refers to purchasing the buildings not boating in the area. Learn to read Lydford Castle.

edited to add. I think Bigwoods sold this at auction as recent as 2012 so ask why its back on the market so soon.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Under BW I was offered this property at a ridiculously cheap rent, I turned it down on the grounds that back then (1999) the vandalism was too bad. I stand by my first post which refers to purchasing the buildings not boating in the area. Learn to read Lydford Castle.

edited to add. I think Bigwoods sold this at auction as recent as 2012 so ask why its back on the market so soon.

I wasn't going to bother to respond to your rather childish and churlish comment about learning to read, but I will. As someone actively involved in the dissemination of historical data (sometimes slightly incorrectly see latest Wednesfield thread) you should realise that it's not so much what people read, but what they understand the author to be meaning, which affects their outlook and response. Whether you were referring to boating or to purchasing buildings is completely immaterial when you pronounce that an area is 'evil'. Very few, if any readers of this thread will be giving serious consideration to purchasing the two properties, but many may well have had their judgement of the Walsall Junction Canal as a cruising route affected by your misplaced views. Add to this the premise that if it's about canals and Lawrence Hogg says so, so it must be true, then you can easily see what damage can be done to an area's reputation by an ill thought out posting.

To other readers ; don't bother with stocking up with Popcorn ; I'm retiring from this thread now.