Calling All Boat Owners :)

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

I had a little brain storm earlier which will hopefully benefit myself and a few of you lovely boat owners ...

... I'm looking for new places to go fishing but I'm not after the usual spots that everyone gets to fish. I write for a few magazines and just recently took sponsorship/consultancy from Fox International. They like my different slant on doing things in the world of fishing and how I'm always looking for new ways to go about catching fish ... this is my latest idea!

All I'm asking is that boat owners within marinas, preferably close to the Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire area give me permission to fish from their boat for the day. I just need a small corner of your floating home, I will be very tidy and respectful to others, no noise, no mess ... you won't even know I'm there! In return I will grace your palm with some money and gladly, if requested, teach you some bits about fishing.

If anyone can help me out on my new adventure please let me know, I would be over the moon if anyone helps me to make the idea reality.

Thanks and hopefully hear from some of you soon

Kind regards
Dan

All I'm asking is that boat owners within marinas, preferably close to the Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire area give me permission to fish from their boat for the day.

I don't moor in a marina myself but I've just had a look at the terms and conditions of BWML marinas, such as Cowroast, in you area. They don't, apparently allow fishing. So you'd need to check with the marina management before approaching boaters.

From the Terms and Conditions:

26. Diving, Bathing or Fishing
26.1. Diving, bathing or fishing in the waters of the Marina is not permitted.

I don't moor in a marina myself but I've just had a look at the terms and conditions of BWML marinas, such as Cowroast, in you area. They don't, apparently allow fishing. So you'd need to check with the marina management before approaching boaters.

Then Dan should be looking at none-BWML marinas

Phil

weve had people fishing today..long daft poles that reach rite accross the canal to our boat....i suggested today that the fella oposite us came round and sat on our deck with a very short rod and id make him a brew..he was less than polite with his response.....to my serprise he was even less greatful when i ran my engine in gear to help push the fish toward his hook.........

• Greenie 2

Is it just that you want to fish so that you can write about it? Because I imagine that if fishermen read about it, then they might also want to be able to do so. While one fisherman might be accepted, I am not sure that a lot of them would be. There has to be a difference in the marina's view between boat owners fishing from their own boats, and fishermen coming in from outside, whether they pay or not.

We were until 2 years ago in a private offline marina where fishing was banned.

In warm weather you would regularly see enormous (I'm not an angler) carp up near the surface -- there were dozens of them.

I think Crick like may others have the same rule

weve had people fishing today..long daft poles that reach rite accross the canal to our boat....i suggested today that the fella oposite us came round and sat on our deck with a very short rod and id make him a brew..he was less than polite with his response.....to my serprise he was even less greatful when i ran my engine in gear to help push the fish toward his hook.........

clapping.gifclapping.gif

I once boated through a fishing match in Bathampton, when I spotted a long shaft floating in the water. Never to pass up on a bit of salvage, I applied reverse, to stop, and maneuvered my stern towards said floating long shaft, to enable salvage. Upon retrieving said shaft, and applying forward gear to carry on my journey, I noticed some agitation on the bank. Amongst the choice language observed, I deciphered the until then unknown to me phrase 'wrecked the swim'. Checking my dictionary later, it appeared that this refers to the bit of water that an anglist feed the fish.

might as I tried, I never managed to hit one of their poles though

I have a theory about fish. They are probably quite good at outsmarting anglers and they know that the safest place for them in next to boats. The enormous local carp lurk near or under our boats, well out of the reach of local fishermen who prefer to fish near entrance to the marina. The carp know that although no fishing is allowed in that spot, they are not safe there so they come over to us.tongue.png

I do wonder where the skill is in catching these carp. You can feed them from the boat like ducks. They come up to the surface and almost take bread from your hand. If I felt so inclined I reckon I could just reach down and pluck them out or scoop them up in a net.

I have a theory about fish. They are probably quite good at outsmarting anglers and they know that the safest place for them in next to boats. The enormous local carp lurk near or under our boats, well out of the reach of local fishermen who prefer to fish near entrance to the marina. The carp know that although no fishing is allowed in that spot, they are not safe there so they come over to us.:P

I do wonder where the skill is in catching these carp. You can feed them from the boat like ducks. They come up to the surface and almost take bread from your hand. If I felt so inclined I reckon I could just reach down and pluck them out or scoop them up in a net.

You're right. When I worked at NATS (national air traffic control centre) at Swanwick one of my staff used to get hold of the bread that was unsuitable for consumption by Air Traffic Controllers and feed it to the massive Carp that live in the very deep pond within the site. He would tap his keys on the railings and as if by magic dozens upon dozens of these fish would come from far and wide to be fed. The ducks would also try for this treat but were out paced by the carp. You would often see a duck keeping a carp at bay with one foot and paddling in circles to get to the bread. Funny? You should have been there.

Martyn

When we were in Cowroast Marina I regularly fed them by hand. In April, when they water is starting to warm up, and they are getting ready to mate they seem to be particularly hungry. We used to throw handfuls of food into the water which would almost look like it was boiling with the fish rising to grab the food - and there would be dorsal fins arriving from all parts of the marina.

Hi everyone

I had a little brain storm earlier which will hopefully benefit myself and a few of you lovely boat owners ...

hmm, not perchance in the pub, was it?

... I'm looking for new places to go fishing but I'm not after the usual spots that everyone gets to fish. I write for a few magazines and just recently took sponsorship/consultancy from Fox International. They like my different slant on doing things in the world of fishing and how I'm always looking for new ways to go about catching fish ... this is my latest idea!

All I'm asking is that boat owners within marinas, preferably close to the Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire area give me permission to fish from their boat for the day. I just need a small corner of your floating home, I will be very tidy and respectful to others, no noise, no mess ... you won't even know I'm there! In return I will grace your palm with some money and gladly, if requested, teach you some bits about fishing.

Is angling from a boat a new way of fishing?

If anyone can help me out on my new adventure please let me know, I would be over the moon if anyone helps me to make the idea reality.

Thanks and hopefully hear from some of you soon

Kind regards

Dan