ive done it woo hoo

tjderby

Featured Posts

I do hope the canals aren't full of nasty busy bodies. Cause with all due respect I'm a lot younger than you and it's people like me that are the future of the canals and without us there won't be any canal in the future for people to enjoy.

Actually that's fair comment, Best of luck, enjoy the canals.....not everyone's a 'crusty old f..t.....

Have fun

L

Lol Alan. Ok if I've told you about them. What's there name's. Where are they. How much are they going for lol. Is that not what you have been "advising" me not to put on here

See Alan. Got you there on that one.

Tj-Many people from the very start have tried to offer you advice and to help- this is one of the best forums I know that does that. Several people have advised you to keep your strategy close to your chest- brokerages and boatyards read this forum, as do other people looking for a good boat. They offered advice to help you get the most for your money- not to boss you around- and until you got stroppy, I cant see any post of anyone having a go. There is no reason at all for you to be unpleasant on a forum, where you have initiated posts and asked for advice. If you don't want advice- don't ask and if you want to be unpleasant, do that somewhere else. I hope you don't include us all in your reference to nasty busy bodies- you are the one now being nasty- and as for busy bodies you posted your heart out for all to read. Listen to and learn from the advice- and I still wish you every success in finding the right boat, if that is the right route for you- Jackie

Edited by Woodstock

Lol Alan. Ok if I've told you about them. What's there name's. Where are they. How much are they going for lol. Is that not what you have been "advising" me not to put on here

Yes, I', now mortally wounded, and without hope! :lol:

No idea why you have aimed this at me TBH.

It's you wants to buy the bloody boat, for Gawd's sake, not me.

After all you asked this.....

Ok heard back and said no to £17k. They came back with a figure of £18.5k.

Thoughts?

Mine were that it is not a good idea to discuss your bargaining strategy on the same forum as the ownership/management of Alvecote have actively been posting alongside you.

If that's "stroppy", then so be it, but even if you are "full of it" now after that night shift, maybe you'll actually give it some thought before negotiating for other boats.

(Oh, and one of the people who has given you good advice worked recently in boat brokerage - how do you know he still doesn't?).

Actually that's fair comment, Best of luck, enjoy the canals.....not everyone's a 'crusty old f..t.....

Have fun

L

In what way does offering sound advice about not conducting your negotiations in public constitute being an old fart? It is precisely because people want to him to become a boater with his own boat that the advice was given.

You will of course note he is following it now.

Yes, I', now mortally wounded, and without hope! laugh.png

It wasn't aimed at you I don't believe, check above - it followed a post by another Alan.(De Enfield)

Yes, I', now mortally wounded, and without hope! :lol:

It was a different Alan!

But anyway, I suppose if tj doesn't like the advice he receives, he doesn't have to follow it. Similarly if we don't like tj's attitude in response to said advice, we don't have to continue to give it.

I love Annie may rich. But like everyone I have a budget. Need I say more

And I was shown round by a bloke called lorance

That isn't exactly what I meant to say. There's something about the right boat - you'll meet many boats in your search that catch your eye, perhaps get a bit serious about, but something somehow stops you buying them

I suspect that this isn't quite the right boat - put it this way, I would have found a way of solving the budget problem by now if this was the right boat for me, no matter how illogical the money raising was. It's kind of irresistible

Richard

It wasn't aimed at you I don't believe, check above - it followed a post by another Alan.(De Enfield)

Fair enough - I went back through the entire page, and thought I was the only Alan contributing recently.

I guess the other Alan's was on a previous page, or I missed it.

I sometimes wonder why we bother, but I guess it is because the vast majority who ask for advice still seem appreciative, even if hearing what they don't necessarily want to be old.

(And I've been an "old fart" for so many years, I sometimes think I'm finally growing out of it!...)

If I was the guy selling the boat tjderby has put in an offer for what I'd have learned from here is; tj is a serious buyer, he has the cash available, he likes my boat and he has some back ups he also likes and if he walks away I might have it on the market for a lot longer. By putting all the info on here tjderby has maybe started a new trend in boat buying, the seller of the boat can see all tj's cards so meet him halfway or he'll walk seller man.

Igonore old the old farts TJ, must be a quiet day on the CCer's website so they're back in here.

K

If I was the guy selling the boat tjderby has put in an offer for what I'd have learned from here is; tj is a serious buyer, he has the cash available, he likes my boat and he has some back ups he also likes and if he walks away I might have it on the market for a lot longer. By putting all the info on here tjderby has maybe started a new trend in boat buying, the seller of the boat can see all tj's cards so meet him halfway or he'll walk seller man.

Igonore old the old farts TJ, must be a quiet day on the CCer's website so they're back in here.

K

I think the point that most people were trying to make was that he had publically disclosed his 'top price' he was willing to pay. If the broker is reading this, then Tj doesn't have a hope in hell of getting it for less, which he just might have done if he hadn't disclosed this.

K

ed removed because MTB managed to say it much more politely than I did.

Edited by The Dog House

Oh dear, Oh dear, O dear,

This thread is on its way to go mammarys up, which is a shame 'cos there's been much good interaction and now being damaged by a lot of bitching.

Without this forum TJ would be widdling in the dark. I find it's best to - if not ignore the intemperate rejoinders - than pass by. Kick the cat, stamp your feet and move on. Don't kill it, as there may be some gems lurking around the corner, as yet undiscovered.

Stating I'm not going to pay more is not very constructive, but something like "it's not seaworthy / needs some attention, so how's about £xxxx" and chip away.

Taking a hunting analogy, stalk your prey quietly, not showing your hand - then when appropriate complete the job with a clean shot. As I think Kipling in one of his books wrote "softly, softly, catchee monkey". Revel in the chase, much more satisfaction than rushing in with both barrels blasting.

Here's some more advice from another 'old fart' which you probably won't like, or even understand.

A lot of brokers follow this board and those who do, now have a pretty clear understanding of the way you are thinking. This will help them achieve a better outcome (for them) for sales negotiations than otherwise.

You may not have mentioned the next two boat names but brokers reading this board will now be keeping a weather eye open for a young lad with a bit of a demandy attitude. They even have a photo of you to help them recognise you when you turn up.

Getting a clear understanding of the attitudes and motivations of the other side is always of enormous help in conducting negotiations. You probably won't really appreciate quite how much until you are quite a bit older, given your current attitude.

Do let us know how you get on, AFTER concluding negotiations!

MtB

• Greenie 1

K

There are any number of things you can do to make sure that you don't live past 40. Are you taking the daily measures necessary to ensure that your life ends while you are still relatively young?

If not, don't you think it would be fair to say that one of the things that you aspire to every day of your life is to one day be an "old fart" yourself?

edited for spelling

Edited by Paul G.

There are any number of things you can do to make sure that you don't live past 40. Are you taking the daily measures necessary to ensure that your life ends while you are still relatively young?

If not, don't you think it would be fair to say that one of the things that you aspire to every day of your life is to one day be an "old fart" yourself?

Old fartism is not age related it is a state of mind. MtB may be pretending to be an old fart by calling the radio a wireless and eating powdered egg but he and I are the same age give or take a couple of months. Anyway you're in America shouldn't you still be in bed or MacDonalds or something.

K

• Greenie 1

Good luck with the search TJ.

I think there's a different way of doing deals emerging. Haggling isn't really the done thing, yet we like to feel like we've paid the right price or got a bargain.

So instead of going in with a low offer and waiting for counter offers, dancing around the subject, knowing eventually we'll probably meet somewhere in the middle. We're beginning to realise there's always another (boat,car,house) that we'd be equally happy with. So rather than mess around, we try and do a deal along the lines of:

I like your (car,boat,house) it's almost, but not quite, what I'm looking for. You want £x, it's within budget but I'll need to spend £y to: make it 'mine', repair it, bring it up to my expectations. So, based on my current level of knowledge in buying (houses,cars,boats), I feel, £z is a comfortable offer. If you agree, we can complete. If not, I'll continue to look elsewhere.

If it's exactly the right car,boat,house then £z will probably be very close to, or exactly £x, anyway.

I'm intrigued to know what the broker called Tj for!

It might be to tell him he's got the boat for the price offered and the seller will black the boat and he is welcome to survey the boat whilst out of the water.

Or,,, he might be saying something completely different. He might even be acting like an old fart and giving advice on Tj's negotiating skill.

Tj, listen to advice from old farts and young farts, it is up to you to heed or not. There is always the PM system to discuss in private with a fart of any age of your choice.

When we first had a boat we went away for a week and upon returning was speaking to the marina manager I was slagging off the staff at another marina, it was days away from our marina so no one would know. In fact it was about twenty minutes away!! Word gets round, be careful what you say,anywhere.

Martyn. (At the age when farts are involuntary, sadly)

I ve read thru this thread today . I can t really comprehend what on earths going on .

TJ - I' m 42 yrs old . But not an old fart ..... yet . What i am is a novice to boats . I spent years thinking about getting one , then did it . Before buying i posted on here . During buying on here . Since buying i ve virtually not left here !

A pattern will emerge soon after you buy your boat that essentially , for me it has been anyway like this :

Problem , fix it , problem , fix it , problem , fix it ....... and on ad nauseum !

How do you the fix the problems ? By coming on here and requesting folk - strangers - to give you the the benefit of thier experience & expertise .

Frankly i d be screwed without some of the generosity that people here have shown over and over . In a world where theres alot of selfishness and nastiness its a refreshing antidote & you 'd be pretty foolish to offend folk who , in future will turn out to be extremely helpful in many many ways .

You ve been a bit brash , made a few unnecessary comments but don t go any further . Hold your hands up and tell folk you ve over reacted - it s cool as we ve all done it but don t make things worse .

people here are genuinely looking to help . i for one know i d be completely overwhelmed by issues on my boat without help as problems tend to be difficult to fix , expensive ... or both .

Don t blow the opportunity & good luck - its a big step your taking

cheers

• Greenie 4

I ve read thru this thread today . I can t really comprehend what on earths going on .

TJ - I' m 42 yrs old . But not an old fart ..... yet . What i am is a novice to boats . I spent years thinking about getting one , then did it . Before buying i posted on here . During buying on here . Since buying i ve virtually not left here !

A pattern will emerge soon after you buy your boat that essentially , for me it has been anyway like this :

Problem , fix it , problem , fix it , problem , fix it ....... and on ad nauseum !

How do you the fix the problems ? By coming on here and requesting folk - strangers - to give you the the benefit of thier experience & expertise .

Frankly i d be screwed without some of the generosity that people here have shown over and over . In a world where theres alot of selfishness and nastiness its a refreshing antidote & you 'd be pretty foolish to offend folk who , in future will turn out to be extremely helpful in many many ways .

You ve been a bit brash , made a few unnecessary comments but don t go any further . Hold your hands up and tell folk you ve over reacted - it s cool as we ve all done it but don t make things worse .

people here are genuinely looking to help . i for one know i d be completely overwhelmed by issues on my boat without help as problems tend to be difficult to fix , expensive ... or both .

Don t blow the opportunity & good luck - its a big step your taking

cheers

worth a greenie I thinks :)

Couldn't have said it better myself - this site and the wealth of information & experience it's members provide is second to none for us novices.

Don't forget tj is now asleep, lets not give him too much grief to wake up to! Hopefully he will be a little calmer after a good rest.

I guess Tj is thinking about getting up and about, I'm still intrigued to know the content of the telephone call.

Martyn.

Hi guys many apologies for this morning. Extremely tired and my cat was pissing me off lol. Thanks for the advice.And the broker rang for a decision or counter offer . Cheer guys.

Much love

:)

Hi Bettie just wanted to put that I didn't call anyone and old Fart x

• Greenie 2