BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Well there was us with 8 of 9 locks done and us and one boat (System 4-50 - sorry forgotten boat name) to go through first.

First it got very dark, then a flash of lightening and crash of thunder sending Millie into a frenzy. Then the heavens just opened, first with heavy rain then hailstones the size of small marbles.

Matt & I are traumatised!

A glass of wine is helping.

Heading down the Tame Valley Canal with Ocker Hill our intended haven for the night.

Major thunderstorm forming over Birmingham, it could get nasty soon.

Came down Walsall locks in thunder and lightening, (with Fire Brigade pulling fake bodies out of culverts at the locks!)

Well sounds as if your day going great, i had a jaunt to track down boats and visited Pump House did not get there till lunch time and few boats at that time, my sat nag had taken me around brum city centre--4 hours on the road and its bank holiday. I had failed to take that into consideration. Back to Rugby--horrendous traffic --next year I will be on my boat. Took pics but dunno how to post.

We missed you at the Pump House. Didn't you come in? We were there. You would have been most welcome & had a cup of tea/coffee.

Just past Sneyd. One precautionary weed hatch dive in the narrows before it gets dark. John survived the spectacular thunderstorm (you don't stop for thunderstorms in the badlands of Bloxwich!). Allan Keeping Up successfully dodged the Mattress of Bloxwich soon after. So I guess it is me and my dad on the back for the final late shift wot will allow us to wake after dawn.

Heckled by Mike the Boilerman from the bridge - only realised it was him when I admired the lovely tug and recognised the name. reg already tied up and crew looking relaxed, as is another Challenger at Sneyd. Obviously not taking this seriously!

Ahh, which pump house?

Richard

Aaaah! That mistake has been made before. Titford Pump House was where we were helping with refreshments for the Photographic Workshop. Moored at Tividale Aqueduct now ready for an early start to get to Hawne Basin in the morning to see you all come in. boat.gif

Dave discovered that his umbrella is only shower proof. While Matt & I glared enviously at him on the boat while we stood by the lock suffering the torrential downpour we didn't realize that he was in his own world of misery with hailstones bouncing off the roof and hitting him in the face beneath the brolly and large drops landing on his head through the brolly!

Oh the joys of British summer boating!

We've done the loop around Wolverhampton all around the W&E, then Daw End, then Tame Valley and turning to join the Walsall canal and do the Ryder's green locks, then onto the W.O.C., then back onto new mainline, up 3 locks to the old main line, under the M5, turn left and up to (almost) Titford. 47 locks and 14.5 hours non-stop and we've called it a day at 10:30pm! (Pics to follow)

Diesel and Dust moored up at the top of the Titford. Crew fed and watered and ready for sleep. Off again at 7am. Just been passed by another boat but don't know who.

Very wet through every set of locks today apart from Titford - several changes of clothes needed for crew! Don't think we could have got any wetter even if we fell in. Much easier and quicker doing locks without other boats around, even in the dark!