BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

I may have to cede that title this year, as fitting in the required recuperation after all that heavy lifting may not be possible with this year's proposed finish at Hawne Basin. Sad face.

However, someone suggested a Sunday evening sojourn en-masse to Ma Pardoe's (perhaps even requisitioning their functiion room for this express purpose), so perhaps all is not lost. Happy face.

Before deciding to move en mass to Ma Pardoe's (which I know to be a very desirable establishment,cheers.gif at least I've been told it is) does anyone know if Hawne Basin are opening their club house for the event. If they're hosting the finish it would be a trifle rude to all disappear immediately. However if they are going to be closed like Longwood was then Ma Pardoe's is an idea.

Before deciding to move en mass to Ma Pardoe's (which I know to be a very desirable establishment,cheers.gif at least I've been told it is) does anyone know if Hawne Basin are opening their club house for the event. If they're hosting the finish it would be a trifle rude to all disappear immediately. However if they are going to be closed like Longwood was then Ma Pardoe's is an idea.

Good point. Much as I like being rude, I shall refrain on this occasion, and try to find to find out. :)

When I posted on Facebook that we were entering Iona next year I was bombarded with crew offers! Unfortunately we only have one spare bed and we're hoping our boy will join us so I had to turn them down.

I'd recommend the Challenge to anyone considering it - it's a great event and the locals love seeing boats going along stretches of canal that are rarely used.

This is a timely reminder - I must contact the BCNS to get our pack.

So, looks like we can start a list of forum runners and riders

Tawny Owl - RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl

Iona - Ange, Davel

The Cat - Nine of Hearts

Cobbett - Wrigglefingers

Diesel and Dust - Tom and Bex

Firefly - John6767

Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else?

Albion - Junior

? - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB ?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Yes, I can confirm Cobbett will be vying with Clarrie for last place once more. My gig at London Zoo is cancelled until funding is found and I have Ellen and Katie crewing (you met Katie at the October banter and I think you all know Ellen, me daughter). So we're going to be an all-woman, all-knitting crew.

That means Dave Gingervit will need a boat somewhere. Anyone need crew?

Edited by wrigglefingers

Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else?

Question mark against the team or just my name? We have sent off our entry form already. We will be joined again by Madcat so don't forget to add her to the team.

Edited by Little Else

Iona - Ange, Davel

The Cat - Nine of Hearts

Cobbett - Wrigglefingers

Firefly - John6767

Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat

Albion - Junior

? - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB ?

Any more?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Just sent off for the application form, but still have to work out the logistics of getting the boat to the right place at the right time. Can you start on the Birmingham and Fazeley, say Salford Jn area?

Do you get draft points, or just length points?

Edited by nicknorman

Is there any resource that is better than Nicholsons for the BCN for planning? I've been trying to familiarise myself with the BCN but part of the area required is in a different book that I don't have.

Yes. The Pearsons that Victor Vectis referred to earlier

Richard

Just sent off for the application form, but still have to work out the logistics of getting the boat to the right place at the right time. Can you start on the Birmingham and Fazeley, say Salford Jn area?

Salford junction is a points scoring start point this year

Richard

Is there any resource that is better than Nicholsons for the BCN for planning? I've been trying to familiarise myself with the BCN but part of the area required is in a different book that I don't have.

I knocked this up some years ago:

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

The points scoring calculation hasn't been updated, so may not be entirely accurate to this years rules, but some find it handy to mess about with. Obviously, it's only a planner and not a navigational tool!

You need Nicholson Guide 2 (Severn, Avon & Birmingham) for the full BCN, NOT Guide 3 (Birmingham & the Heart of England)

You used to be able to start a Fazeley junction, after all it is part of the BCN, but for last year on the B&F only from Curworth in counted. Only when the planning sheets are out will you know what you can do this year. As Richard said in the Rules this year Salford Junction is one of the nominated start points that you gain a bonus for starting at. There are no draft point this year and there is no length bonus this year (previous years had 1 point per ft). There is just a length multiplier on the mileage rate (length/35 per mile), plus one point per lock.

Another useful resource is an Ordnance survey map. We have one with the canals highlighted, the junctions marked and the points per section stuck on with paper labels

Richard

That's a bit low tech.

No, I have had it enlarged, stuck down to a large table, and fabricated a lot of small wooden markers that I have a team of WAAFs move around as I stand on the balcony

Richard

You are a genius!

(I am now building an elaborate computer in the 1st mate's shed to intercept and decode messages sent to Tawny Owl)

I knocked this up some years ago:

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

The points scoring calculation hasn't been updated, so may not be entirely accurate to this years rules, but some find it handy to mess about with. Obviously, it's only a planner and not a navigational tool!

Hey that looks good! Interesting that Ryder's Green section is x3 whilst other really slow bits (daw end) are x2, although I appreciate it might be different this year.

Also I note it seems to be 2 miles per point, one lock per point. Mmmh, 2 miles = 30 or more like 45 mins (1hr on slowest sections), 1 BCN locks 6-8 mins... I can see why a large team of lockwheelers is an advantage!

Edited by nicknorman

Team Poppy is flying crew in from New Zealand especially for the occasion. So cannot possibly wimp out this year

Another vote for Ma Pardoes here. Bcns xmas do there was amazing food and beverages at a most reasonable cost.

Iona - Ange, Davel

The Cat - Nine of Hearts

Cobbett - Wrigglefingers

Firefly - John6767

Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat

Albion - Junior

? - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB ?

Any more?

Richard