BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Being picky, it is only "full length working boats" that get extra points per mile at 80/35

Well, well - a great opportunity to establish ex-hire boats as ex-working boats!

I bet Tawny Owl earned more money during it's working life than Atlas did

Richard

Team Tawny Owl - RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl (remainder to be announced)

Iona - Ange, Davel

The Cat Who Walks By Himself - Nine of Hearts

Cobbett - Wrigglefingers

Diesel and Dust - Tom and Bex

Firefly - John6767

Team Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat

Albion - Junior

? - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB

Telemachus - nicknorman

Any more? That's a good field for starters

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Telemachus - nick norman, Jeff (who will be the one working most of the locks so will deserve most of the credit) and possibly our friend Chris as additional crew if his kids allow him out for the weekend!

Edited by nicknorman

What I usually do is to put up the names of forum members, assuming that others will announce their own. So, I'll list you crew in future

And, I forgot Peckham Poppy... So:

Iona - Ange, Davel
Cobbett - Wrigglefingers
Firefly - John6767
Albion - Junior
? - System 4-50
Clarrie - LaurieB
Peckham Poppy - Odana, Black Beauty
Telemachus - nicknorman, Jeff, Chris
Richard

With this many entries best start the planning even earlier this year!

Our main planning tool was the book The Other Sixty Miles as I think has been mentioned above. We found the map on the centre pages the easiest one to use as it has all the junctions and canal names listed. It's also really interesting to use as you're cruising to help identify what you can still see from the canal.

Tom

RLWP, on 17 Jan 2014 - 6:35 PM, said:

What I usually do is to put up the names of forum members, assuming that others will announce their own. So, I'll list you crew in future

And, I forgot Peckham Poppy... So:

Iona - Ange, Davel
Cobbett - Wrigglefingers
Firefly - John6767
Albion - Junior
? - System 4-50
Clarrie - LaurieB
Peckham Poppy - Odana, Black Beauty
Telemachus - nicknorman, Jeff, Chris
Richard

i would like to officially offer my services as crew to any one who wants me

If it ends at Hawne Basin, I sincerely hope all those rushing down there in great haste know just how small Gosty Hill tunnel gets in places.

I have this vision of 20 boats lined up behind the one that is a bit generous on air draft and cabin width, and has become firmly wedged in!

EDIT:

Bloomin' heck! - Iona is in it - Some serious roof clearing needed there Ange & Dave!

Edited by alan_fincher

i would like to officially offer my services as crew to any one who wants me

Hi TM, I did note your offer earlier in the thread but I didn't/don't want to peak too early.

Last thing I want to do is sort myself out with crew and start making arrangements with people 4 months in advance of the event, only to have to pull out, or indeed have all my arranged crew pull out as we start getting closer.

Once I have received all my paperwork and am confident im 100% not going to get a nosebleed if I go past Hemel Hempstead, I'll revisit this thread and arrange a crew.

Edited by junior

Starcoaster, on 17 Jan 2014 - 9:22 PM, said:Starcoaster, on 17 Jan 2014 - 9:22 PM, said:

I am much more awesomer because I am not planning on stopping half way round to fell trees, ergo Monkey's team should get extra points for his additional slowness.

but i am much more awesomer and i will promise not to print the inside story about your embarrassing BCN secrets in a horrid gutter press sorta way tongue.png

junior, on 17 Jan 2014 - 9:31 PM, said:

Hi TM, I did note your offer earlier in the thread but I didn't/don't want to peak too early.

Last thing I want to do is sort myself out with crew and start making arrangements with people 4 months in advance of the event, only to have to pull out, or indeed have all my arranged crew pull out as we start getting closer.

Once I have received all my paperwork and am confident im 100% not going to get a nosebleed if I go past Hemel Hempstead, I'll revisit this thread and arrange a crew.

Thank you Junior

Edited by tree monkey

but i am much more awesomer and i will promise not to print the inside story about your embarrassing BCN secrets in a horrid gutter press sorta way tongue.png

No, I am more awesomer because I promise to report that we won, even if we didn't. :D
Also, I am more awesomer because I can tell the difference between Junior and Trento when their name is actually quoted in my post reply. :lol:

Starcoaster, on 17 Jan 2014 - 9:45 PM, said:

No, I am more awesomer because I promise to report that we won, even if we didn't. biggrin.png
Also, I am more awesomer because I can tell the difference between Junior and Trento when their name is actually quoted in my post reply. laugh.png

damn and blast

Ok I'm volunteering too. "Pick me, I'm awesome" (and may or may not do a writeup about it for the paper). biggrin.png "

Would you like to join the all-woman team on Cobbett?

(We are woman, watch us go .... mostly forwards, but then who really cares? .... Oh okay then ...)

Would you like to join the all-woman team on Cobbett?

(We are woman, watch us go .... mostly forwards, but then who really cares? .... Oh okay then ...)

AWESOME! We're totally going to win. Practicing my "speeding past moored boats, pretending I can't see them" already. :D

This thread is a real 'Reason to be Cheerful' to borrow a title from an ongoing thread from one in the pub.

48ish hours, 7 pages. No flouncing, fallouts and not a single teddy out of his/her pram biggrin.png

I think it really sums up the spirit of the event. Fun with a capital 'F'. People offering encouragement and advice. Friends pulling each others legs.

I wonder if the the organisers know there is so much interest in their event 4 months before it happens?

Keep it up peeps!

smile.png

Well, well - a great opportunity to establish ex-hire boats as ex-working boats!

I bet Tawny Owl earned more money during it's working life than Atlas did

Richard

Yes, but does she/it have rivets?

Practicing my "speeding past moored boats, pretending I can't see them" already. :D

Ah - wasted skill: there are no moored boats on the BCN - bliss!

If it ends at Hawne Basin, I sincerely hope all those rushing down there in great haste know just how small Gosty Hill tunnel gets in places.

I have this vision of 20 boats lined up behind the one that is a bit generous on air draft and cabin width, and has become firmly wedged in!

EDIT:

Bloomin' heck! - Iona is in it - Some serious roof clearing needed there Ange & Dave!

Yes but 20 boats at ramming speed should see the stuck boat exit the tunnel like the proverbial champagne cork!

Actually I don't think its particularly narrow unless you try to pass a car tyre, but it is a low in the middle, no problem for our boat but the boat we used to borrow (a Mike Heywood) had about 2 ins between handrail and tunnel, and that was only if you were dead in the middle.

Edited by nicknorman