housing benefit for license fee?

squarelips

Featured Posts

What strikes me about this is that it seems apparent that somebody may be able to do this living on one part of the system but somebody else living on another part of the system (under the jurisdiction of a different council) may not. At least that is how I interpret this and some other threads. Surely that is grossly unfair? and everybody either should (subject to circumstances of course) or every body should not. You would think there would be some national guidance to Councils on exactly what HB can be claimed for and what it can't, including whether that includes a boat licence and mooring fees, I'm probably being over simplistic/idealaistic. An example perhaps of how complex and convoluted our welfare system has become?

The problem here is that we are in a minority, for national guidance to work it needs to reflect on a large enough sample that it will stick,making rules that only come into play a handful of times a year means everyone forgets they're there. I have discovered this in New Job.

The provision for such as licence and BSC to be paid by HB comes from the definition of rent at reg 2 hb regs 2006 which, excuse me not linking, define rent as any money that needs to be paid to secure occupation of the premises. Now whether bsc and insurance constitute such payments is a question of interpretation, on one hand I have argued that people should claim them( and the chaplaincy, for all my concerns have done a decent job of persuading councils to do exactly that) however equally I could argue that occupation of the "dwelling" is not contingent on their payment.

I think it is terrible that anybody on benefits is automatically deemed to be a scrounger by some on here, this view seems to be encouraged by Government deflecting blame for the current economic situation onto people who are more victims than villains themselves, and it is swallowed hook, line and sinker by the unintelligent, who need nothing more than stuffed suits, Channel 4 and the Daily Mail to tell them what to think.

I work, I pay my fair share of personal taxes as well as generating £10,000 of VAT a year as an unpaid tax collector for HMRC. But I have to have a medical examination every five years to renew my HGV licence, and if I was to fail the next one, due in August, then at age 55 I would have absolutely no chance whatsoever of finding work doing anything else locally or anywhere else. I would try, knowing all along that I was on a fool's errand, but eventually I would give up, it is an accepted indicator of mental illness to keep on repeating an action, expecting a different reaction.

So I would claim benefits, and would almost certainly be on one benefit or another for the rest of my life The thought that this might happen worries me sick, and I'm sure the massive, massive majority of people claiming benefits would give their eye teeth to be able to find work, but I would feel no shame whatsoever in claiming benefits, having paid in so much over the years.

I hope that if I ever do need to claim benefits, and am living on a narrowboat at that time, that I could ask a question about the legal position on CanalWorld without a few snide fools trying to shoot me down in flames and suggesting that I should just "get a job and stop scrounging from me", as has happened here.

Get rid of that truck and get yourself a boat now, we need more people like you on the cut, an antidote to the daily mail readers!

...........Dave

What I can never really work out is where does all the benefit money come from?, I work and always have done for the last 30 years.

Last week was listening to the radio about a woman and her kids claiming benefits, housing allowance etc, in total 550.00 per week, now at work on my shift theres 4 of use, we all pay approx 150.00 ish per week in contributions each, so 4 working blokes supporting one small family, surely theres not enough workers to keep the thing afloat?

Anyone know the ratio of workers to total uk population?

Edit found this

There are about 62 million people in the UK.

Official figures break down as follows:

12 million under the age of 16
14 million over retirement age
36 million of working age. The official workforce figure is 33 million with 3 million unable to work or claiming long term benefits.

Of the 33 million nearly 2 million are unemployed.

The UK is now at the point where 50% of the population is working and 50% is not. Very scary figures and the reason for such high taxation

Edited by lynalldisocvery

I think it is terrible that anybody on benefits is automatically deemed to be a scrounger by some on here, this view seems to be encouraged by Government deflecting blame for the current economic situation onto people who are more victims than villains themselves, and it is swallowed hook, line and sinker by the unintelligent, who need nothing more than stuffed suits, Channel 4 and the Daily Mail to tell them what to think.

I work, I pay my fair share of personal taxes as well as generating £10,000 of VAT a year as an unpaid tax collector for HMRC. But I have to have a medical examination every five years to renew my HGV licence, and if I was to fail the next one, due in August, then at age 55 I would have absolutely no chance whatsoever of finding work doing anything else locally or anywhere else. I would try, knowing all along that I was on a fool's errand, but eventually I would give up, it is an accepted indicator of mental illness to keep on repeating an action, expecting a different reaction.

So I would claim benefits, and would almost certainly be on one benefit or another for the rest of my life The thought that this might happen worries me sick, and I'm sure the massive, massive majority of people claiming benefits would give their eye teeth to be able to find work, but I would feel no shame whatsoever in claiming benefits, having paid in so much over the years.

I hope that if I ever do need to claim benefits, and am living on a narrowboat at that time, that I could ask a question about the legal position on CanalWorld without a few snide fools trying to shoot me down in flames and suggesting that I should just "get a job and stop scrounging from me", as has happened here.

That's about spot on IMO

this view seems to be encouraged by Government deflecting blame for the current economic situation onto people who are more victims than villains themselves, and it is swallowed hook, line and sinker by the unintelligent, who need nothing more than stuffed suits, Channel 4 and the Daily Mail to tell them what to think.

I slightly disagree withe the term unintelligent though, I think brainwashed is probably nearer the mark.

I think it is terrible that anybody on benefits is automatically deemed to be a scrounger by some on here...

Could you point me to the post(s) where this was said? If you can't (and you can't) perhaps you would like to withdraw your inflammatory remark since it is a lie.

Daily Mail real quality paper tongue.png

Have to say if you have a skill you will always be able to find work

This is not strictly true, depends on many variables.

Agreed that eventualy most (not all) people would find some employment but often not in their field of expertise and there is a considerable element of luck as to wether this employment would match their original terms and conditions I know many people who have even had to apply for their own jobs and been taken on at a lesser wage/salary etc than they were getting. I myself worked as a chef at a big riverside pub owned by Whitbreads which got taken over by Mitchell and Butler, had to apply for my job as is did everybody else and we got ZERO hours contracts. I threw the towel in eventualy when one month I was only offered 1 shift of 7 hours, £50 to live on for a month, consider that.

Phil

This is not strictly true, depends on many variables.

Agreed that eventualy most (not all) people would find some employment but often not in their field of expertise and there is a considerable element of luck as to wether this employment would match their original terms and conditions I know many people who have even had to apply for their own jobs and been taken on at a lesser wage/salary etc than they were getting. I myself worked as a chef at a big riverside pub owned by Whitbreads which got taken over by Mitchell and Butler, had to apply for my job as is did everybody else and we got ZERO hours contracts. I threw the towel in eventualy when one month I was only offered 1 shift of 7 hours, £50 to live on for a month, consider that.

Phil

I have heard it suggested by an IWA trustee that CaRT's move to annualised hours may be a precursor to zero hours contracts.

In Starcoaster's defence; it's inferred in posts 3 & 4 of this thread.

It's been covered before, several times now, that these posts do not say that. Neither do they infer that. So why keep banging on about it? It is irritating to have ones words twisted into a false meaning, and then be ticked off because that (deliberately) false interpretation doesn't fit some extreme left wing viewpoint.

I think its terrible that Southern Star is an extreme lefty communist anarchist who thinks that property is theft, and condones looting, and supports the mugging and property destruction of anyone who is better off than they are.

Edited by nicknorman

It's been covered before, several times now, that these posts do not say that. Neither do they infer that. So why keep banging on about it? It is irritating to have ones words twisted into a false meaning, and then be ticked off because that (deliberately) false interpretation doesn't fit some extreme left wing viewpoint.

Come off it Nick there is clear inference in your and other posts in here -

Or maybe get a job so I don't have to pay for it?

Just because you subsequently claimed that it was in response to another post (Post 3) does not absolve you from the views of others that there was a clear inference by you and others subsequently too that people who are claiming benefits should 'just get a job'. It does not have to be from an extreme left wing viewpoint to read your posts that way.

I think its terrible that Southern Star is an extreme lefty communist anarchist who thinks that property is theft, and condones looting, and supports the mugging and property destruction of anyone who is better off than they are.

Now you're just being mischievous.

Edited by Higgs

Come off it Nick there is clear inference in your and other posts in here -

Isn't "clear inference" oxymoronic?

There is nothing to infer. The post said that an alternative to life on benefits could be to get a job. Could be, hence the "perhaps". Or maybe not, depending on the individual's circumstances. But to brand someone who suggests that not everyone on benefits actually needs or warrants them as some sort of fascist Tory is ludicrous. The anecdote's tone (which was nothing to do with the OP's situation) "inferred" that the individual was happily roaming the canal system having a great time whilst screwing as much out of the system as possible. Or maybe not, we don't know. Anyway, this is the 4th time I have explained this, I'm not doing it again and anyone who continues to insist on "inferring" otherwise is a commie anarchist baby-eating thug. I can only tolerate so much blatant and deliberate stupidity on this thread.

Now you're just being mischievous.

No, I inferred it from his posts.

Isn't "clear inference" oxymoronic?

There is nothing to infer. The post said that an alternative to life on benefits could be to get a job. Could be, hence the "perhaps". Or maybe not, depending on the individual's circumstances. But to brand someone who suggests that not everyone on benefits actually needs or warrants them as some sort of fascist Tory is ludicrous. The anecdote's tone (which was nothing to do with the OP's situation) "inferred" that the individual was happily roaming the canal system having a great time whilst screwing as much out of the system as possible. Or maybe not, we don't know. Anyway, this is the 4th time I have explained this, I'm not doing it again and anyone who continues to insist on "inferring" otherwise is a commie anarchist baby-eating thug. I can only tolerate so much blatant and deliberate stupidity on this thread.

No, I inferred it from his posts.

No you are doing exactly what Alan described you as doing earlier - 'Making prattish comments'.

No you are doing exactly what Alan described you as doing earlier - 'Making prattish comments'.

Ooh you are so good at taunting me. Very clever, I think you are a master baiter. You may infer what you like from that.

Edited by nicknorman