Considering my first boat. Help?

Jenza

Featured Posts

I'm not ready yet to dive in to boat ownership just yet. I'll hopefully know if it's realistic in a few weeks time but I'm trying to get an idea with some armchair searching. I've looked at this a couple of times:-

http://www.swanleybrokerage.co.uk/images/uploads/PDF/Pearl_Fisher_2.pdf

It seems quite close to what I think would suit me, apart from the pump out toilet. It strikes me that it's quite cheap compared to other examples and I'm not sure why except for a few tatty bits of paint in the photos. Is this where a hull inspection reveals lots of expense?

I will be in the area in a couple of weeks so I might pop in anyway and have a look, if it's still there.

I think it will be This is another boat that seems to have been on the market a while now. At the price it has to be worth a look but prepare to be disappointed!

How much would you reckon (I know, I know, these things vary) it would cost to install a I-Don't-Want-To-Die hatch? I mean - £100s? £1000s? Just so I have an idea of the overall price these things will be.

I'd say between £350 and £500 according to how complicated you end up wanting it to be. CWF member 'KEDIAN' does this sort of thing for a living and is well regarded so PM him and ask for an estimate if you'd like a firmer figure.

Whilton is a very good place for looking at boats. here's how it works. You turn up (no appointment necessary). You find the sale boats (they are all or nearly all parked together at one end of the marina). You wander round, making a note of the names of 3 or 4 which you would like to view inside. You go to the office and request the keys, and you may wander round free-range and unsupervised, in your own

time. Obviously they would rather like you to buy one but there's no obligation.

Agreed except the bit I've emphasised. In my experience they couldn't give a sh!t whether you buy one when you take the keys back.

There are two other things to beware of at Wilton:

1) The condition and presentation of the boats is shockingly poor. I am staggered at the appalling state of the interiors of most of the boats for sale there. Don't let it put you off, you're there to get a feel for boats, layouts, ideas etc, not to actually buy a boat.

2) The prices. They are stupidly, ridiculously high. Reduce any given price by 33% to get to a realistic open market price for a similar boat for sale somewhere other than Wilton. People pay these inflated prices for crappy boats because they trust a large business like Wilton. God knows why, there's one born every minute.

The upside of Wilton is there are SO MANY boats there all available to be looked in. My mistake the first time I went there was to turn up half an hour before closing time to see just one boat. Only when I arrived did I realise I wanted to look in about 30 of them!

MtB

I think when you go to most brokers - the larger ones anyway - you are inevitably looking at boats where the owners have just handed the thing over and want rid of it. I don't think I have ever seen a boat on brokerage that looked as though it had received any attention from the day it was put on sale. To be fair, when you talk to the sales guys they are equally exasperated at why owners just don't make a bit of an effort to present their boats better.

I am not squemish, I have done a number of these "life of grime" jobs in my time but one boat I looked at Sawley was, and I am not joking, a health hazard. It wasn't that cheap either.

But the good thing abut this is that it gives you an immediate bargaining tool. Just like boats with worn hulls. If you get into the "I am doing this owner a favour" mindset you can get a cheap boat. That Pearl Fisher could be such a case.

Barkley has been for sale for a long time. I know it is in a somewhat remote location but a boat with that sort of provenance should have sold by now. Means of escape from the bedroom might be an issue for many, the side hatch is over the kitchen sink.

The H&L doesn't look like a H&L to me, and though the photo isn't very good it might even be a grp cabin - I'd ask the questions.

Both boats would probably need a full survey to get comprehensive insurance.

I've looked at barkley to. personally i wouldnt pay £20k for it.

Emergency side hatch near bow seems to satisfy safety requirements .Wont open in a narrow lock though .Have seen many liveaboards wiith front doors wedged closed with wood,coal,etc. You need space to store this stuff without creating a safety issue. Assuming average running cost of a 50ft boat at a min of £4,000 per annum,each foot will cost £80 per annum .A cruiser stern of 8ft will cost you a min of £640 per annum.Unless you have a pram cover,this is a lot to pay for length which gives you no living space.

I do go back and forth on cruiser vs trad. I suppose it is a bit of luxury in a smaller boat but then choosing to live on a boat wouldn't be totally utilitarian. I think if I take the plunge I'll need to think about how much it will be about having a midweek residence against a social leasure purchase. At the moment it's just a fun possibility.

I'm not ready yet to dive in to boat ownership just yet. I'll hopefully know if it's realistic in a few weeks time but I'm trying to get an idea with some armchair searching. I've looked at this a couple of times:-

http://www.swanleybrokerage.co.uk/images/uploads/PDF/Pearl_Fisher_2.pdf

It seems quite close to what I think would suit me, apart from the pump out toilet. It strikes me that it's quite cheap compared to other examples and I'm not sure why except for a few tatty bits of paint in the photos. Is this where a hull inspection reveals lots of expense?

I will be in the area in a couple of weeks so I might pop in anyway and have a look, if it's still there.

The Boat Safety Certificate expired almost a year ago. So the boat has presumably been unused at least that long. If I was buying I would make my offer conditional on a new BSC being provided (and with the vendor paying for any work required to pass).

The reason CROMDALE isn't selling is obvious on a first pass though the details...

Two berths only, and both single beds!

May I suggest another reason it wasnt selling (I belive it has now sold) is that it was bloody difficult to get to go & see it. I tried about 4 times with no luck to get a viewing. Combine that with the fact that Heyford Fields is almost impossible to find as well (by road) if you dont know where it is.

I do go back and forth on cruiser vs trad. I suppose it is a bit of luxury in a smaller boat but then choosing to live on a boat wouldn't be totally utilitarian. I think if I take the plunge I'll need to think about how much it will be about having a midweek residence against a social leasure purchase. At the moment it's just a fun possibility.

I'll show you now how fickle narrowboat owners can be... Our last boat was a cruiser and until recently we were completely sure no other type would do. It was only the difficulty of finding a suitable boat that made us widen the search and lo and behold we end up with a trad.

On a "small" boat everything is a compromise, if you go for a cruiser you are pretty much choosing to have your outdoor social area at the stern as it is a bit of a luxury to have an empty space at both ends. With a trad obviously you don't have the option, but what convinced us in the end was the ready access from the living area out to the front well, rather than having to climb up a flight of steps, and/or negotiate a passageway. That persuaded us of the virtues of using the bow as an amenity space and once you make that decision it pretty much has to be a trad unless you want to go bigger than 50' which we didn't.

The attraction of a cruiser is on the warm summer days when you are either on the river or have a long time between locks, if there's more than one of you you can all sit down and it really is a very pleasant way to travel. That's what I will miss, but I am perversely looking forward to those filthy days when you are completely exposed to the elements on a cruiser deck.

Hello all - I am absolutely brand new to your website - and to boating! Having recently decided to purchase a residential mooring in the North of Scotland. I am now looking to buy my new home. BUT narrowboats are not allowed and so I am looking at river cruiser liveaboards and have been considering broads-cruiser style vessels. Anyone have experience of the peculiarities of Scottish canals and lochs and advice on suitable vessels? Any advice would be most gratefully received!!

Edited by sarahmac

The bow cabin of Barkley could have a rising panel cut out. Supported on gas struts or even hydraulics arms.

Martyn

I wonder what has become of "Jhoff" - she has not been heard of for a while. Can she be trudging round the marinas in the company of Jenza, Ally Charlton and all the other earnest seekers after boats who seem to have left us?

Hello all - I am absolutely brand new to your website - and to boating! Having recently decided to purchase a residential mooring on the Caledonian Canal I am now looking to buy my new home. BUT narrowboats are not allowed and so I am looking at river cruiser liveaboards and have been considering broads-cruiser style vessels. Anyone have experience of the peculiarities of the Caley Canal and advice on suitable vessels? Any advice would be most gratefully received!!

I know nowt about the Caledonian Canal so I'm no help there. But I do know it's lovely.

Regarding Cruisers. Seem to be less expensive than narrowboats, size for size, but I gather you would have to buy locally or be prepared to transport by road or a little trip to sea.

I would look on a site www.apolloduck.co.uk and see what's what. There are other sites available of course. Decide your budget, and away you go!

Welcome to the forum

Martyn

Hello all - I am absolutely brand new to your website - and to boating! Having recently decided to purchase a residential mooring on the Caledonian Canal I am now looking to buy my new home. BUT narrowboats are not allowed and so I am looking at river cruiser liveaboards and have been considering broads-cruiser style vessels. Anyone have experience of the peculiarities of the Caley Canal and advice on suitable vessels? Any advice would be most gratefully received!!

Wow....a residential mooring on the CC. Now I am envious smile.png .

I did'nt think that it was likely that canal-side land would be for sale on there, but then again I haven't really looked into it. Is it a bank side mooring...A pontoon or a swing mooring?

Where about on the canal is your mooring? (..or where abouts, roughly?). One of the reasons why I ask that is to get a feeling as to how exposed the boat will be to the prevailing wind etc...

I'm new to the forum also....welcome!

Regards,

David

I wonder what has become of "Jhoff" - she has not been heard of for a while. Can she be trudging round the marinas in the company of Jenza, Ally Charlton and all the other earnest seekers after boats who seem to have left us?

Perhaps they have all collectively come to their senses.

Hello all - I am absolutely brand new to your website - and to boating! Having recently decided to purchase a residential mooring in the North of Scotland. I am now looking to buy my new home. BUT narrowboats are not allowed and so I am looking at river cruiser liveaboards and have been considering broads-cruiser style vessels. Anyone have experience of the peculiarities of Scottish canals and lochs and advice on suitable vessels? Any advice would be most gratefully received!!

Sarah - a Broads cruiser would be ok on the Cally but if you want to cruise Loch Ness on a windy day... something a bit more sea friendly would be a better choice. We live in the Highlands and if I could afford two boats there is an Orcadian cruiser at Caley Marina in Inverness that I would be sorely tempted by.

Bear in mind that the market for boats up there is nowhere near as buoyant as on the English canals so you can get a lot more for your money especially if someone is keen to sell. A good friend of ours recently sold a lovely 30 foot motor sailer that had been to the Arctic Circle and back it was her husband's pride and joy but he sadly died and she just had to part with it - a mere £20,000 or so got it and this was a real boat.

Alas, no I have not yet reached a marina... but I have been having drinks and conversations with boaty pals to hear their biggest horror stories and gather some tips. I'm off to see Barkley on Saturday and that possible Hancock & Lane cruiser soon after, so will report back......!

Edited by jhoff

Hellohello,

So I've been to see boats now! Barkley was a nice little boat, and certainly seemed to be looked after by an owner who cared about its condition although did not live aboard anymore. But, like I suspected, I think it is a little small for me. I didn't get to see the Hancock & Lane one because apparently the owner accepted an offer on it just a couple of days ago, which I'm pretty disappointed about because it seemed to fit all the specifications I wanted. So back to more vigorous searching for me, I think.

I'm pleased to hear that you have actually been out and looked at boats. It can become addictive! Sorry to hear about the H&L, but there are plenty more boats out there, and one of them is waiting to surprise you even as I write.

I think I might keep a hold of Barkleys details then. I'm hoping to know what my future holds in another weeks time and from the details I don't think it would make a bad 1st boat for my part week accommodation requirements and I only need space for me and a little JR.

Good luck with the search. I hope you find what you're looking for.

jon