Considering my first boat. Help?

Jenza

Featured Posts

I'll let the other Mike answer the question about Reg, once he's finished spluttering.

I suspect that, as with old cars, boats eventually reach a price level and more or less stay there for as long as they shall live. At age 25 the Harborough is probably very close to that point: if well maintained it should sell for something approaching its current purchase price when you decide to trade up to a delivery boat or whatever.wink.png

• 2 weeks later...

This may disappoint or cause some controversy, but I've gone for the Harborough Marine. Old fashioned and dull though it may be on the inside (pictures definitely make it look more dull than it actually is), it's structurally solid (hull survey says so!) and drives very nicely and has a lot of key qualities I was after.

I'm excited! Especially about cruising it down from Derby!

One thing I'm wondering though is that the current owner is renewing the license for it, and is going to renew it on its home mooring in Derby, then transfer the license to me. I'm going to be continuously cruising though, so isn't that a different license? Or can we just notify BW and say it's switching and that's fine?

Well - you can play by the rules and accept the consequences, or you can cheat & lie and get the benefits for 12 months.

1) If the previous owner declares a home mooring in Derby and C&RT check with the mooring provider who tells them that the boat no longer has a mooring there, C&RT will be onto you like a ton-of-bricks for having a Ghost-Mooring

2) You can tell C&RT that you are CCing in London and you will have to abide by the ever increasingly enforced mooring rules (moving from one place / parish every 14 days)

3) Dont tel C&RT and (as a boat with a home mooring) you will be required to move your boat much less than if you were a CCer (you can just move to a new location - maybe 200 yards - rather than a new place, - maybe a mile or two every 14 days or less if posted as a reduced time mooring. Some reports are suggesting that C&RT are starting to question if a boat with a home mooring is actually using it enough but thats another discussion.

Well I don't want to take the piss. I'll be traveling a lot with another CCer so I might as well register my boat as one too and I'll do the moving etc. I'm aware of the increasing scrutiny the CCing crowd have been under and so I'd rather stick to the rules so I'm not adding to any kind of bad rep etc.

Is there a difference in price for the licenses?

Is there a difference in price for the licenses?

No - its exactly the same licence but with a different location code.

Boats with a home mooring have the 'code' number for their home mooring on the licence (every mooring has a code number) so it can be checked to exist if needed.

I've gone for the Harborough Marine.

I've just caught up with this thread after being away on Trojan over the Easter weekend. (Trojan does not have they new-fangled gizmos like computers so I have been incommunicado.)

Well done Miss H! A good choice I reckon (time will tell) and I'm sure that you'll soon personalise and rejuvenate that interior.

Is she yours yet?

Thanks Athy!

Time will tell indeed, but I think it will hold up well and I have many plans for the interior. There has not been the official handover yet - I'm not actually totally sure the best way to go about this. I feel kind of uncomfortable taking just over 20grand in cash around with me, but I also don't massively want to do a bank transfer and then hope it'll be there when I turn up - although the guy seems decent and good, I've only met him twice and you never know...

I'm looking forwards to the Derby-London cruise too!

. I feel kind of uncomfortable taking just over 20grand in cash around with me,

As the boat was, I think, advertised at £24,500, the mention of "just over" £20k suggests that you negotiated successfully with the owner and obtained a price alteration in your favour.

(You do not need to answer this on a public forum, but I hope it is the case).

You can go to the bank together to do the transfer into the seller's account having checked the boat is still there and as you last saw it on day of sale. That's how we did it. Easiest if you have the same bank but any bank can do instant transfers now.

Welcome to your new life afloat!!

Thanks Athy!

Time will tell indeed, but I think it will hold up well and I have many plans for the interior. There has not been the official handover yet - I'm not actually totally sure the best way to go about this. I feel kind of uncomfortable taking just over 20grand in cash around with me, but I also don't massively want to do a bank transfer and then hope it'll be there when I turn up - although the guy seems decent and good, I've only met him twice and you never know...

I'm looking forwards to the Derby-London cruise too!

I used a bankers order when I bought mine, thats if they still do them. Been a while but as good as cash and non transferable. Enjoy your new life :-)

Thanks everyone!

Are bankers orders like cheques? I don't want to suggest something that puts the seller at risk, although I know I'm a legit human, he shouldn't have to take my word for it anymore than I should have to take his.

Instant bank transfer together sounds like a good idea. Is it definitely instant? We are actually at the same bank so that's good.

EDIT: Actually, I'm collecting on a bank holiday which seemed like a good idea for a number of reasons but not this one.

I did knock him down by a bit, Athy, which I feel pretty good about. I had an idea of how much I wanted to pay for it and I paid that.

Edited by jhoff

Bank transfers are genuinely instant if you are in the bank (it was alarming and exciting at the same time to see so many zeros slide from one account to another at the press of a button!) But not on bank holidays. I THINK you can transfer up to 10k same day outside office hours, but you should check w your bank. Can you go up on the BH then do the transfer first thing Tues morning before you set sail? Or last thing Fri evening.

Bankers orders are sort of like cash cheques. They don't take time to clear. But I believe they can be cancelled and are sometimes forged. I'm not sure I would take one - I'd like money in my bank or cash in my pocket before handing over my boat! Worth asking if he will though - may be easiest for you both.

Edited by Odana

Thanks everyone!

Are bankers orders like cheques? I don't want to suggest something that puts the seller at risk, although I know I'm a legit human, he shouldn't have to take my word for it anymore than I should have to take his.

Instant bank transfer together sounds like a good idea. Is it definitely instant? We are actually at the same bank so that's good.

EDIT: Actually, I'm collecting on a bank holiday which seemed like a good idea for a number of reasons but not this one.

I did knock him down by a bit, Athy, which I feel pretty good about. I had an idea of how much I wanted to pay for it and I paid that.

thinking about it they are called bankers drafts and yes they are like cheques but with the advantage of being cashed straight away without having to wait a week or whatever it is nowadays. And 100% guaranteed

Bankers drafts should be full proof. As I understand it the bank takes the money out of your account and holds in in an escrow account pending submission of the draft. The bankers draft is therefore drawn against the bank and not the individuals personal account. They cannot be stopped.

The alternative is something like a CHAPS payment which is a same day value bank to bank transfer. It is not instantaneous in that it still takes time to get through the system. I used this when I bought one of our boats. The paying bank remitted the CHAPS at 1000 but it did not show in the recipients bank account for a couple of hours.

Bankers drafts should be full proof. As I understand it the bank takes the money out of your account and holds in in an escrow account pending submission of the draft. The bankers draft is therefore drawn against the bank and not the individuals personal account. They cannot be stopped.

The alternative is something like a CHAPS payment which is a same day value bank to bank transfer. It is not instantaneous in that it still takes time to get through the system. I used this when I bought one of our boats. The paying bank remitted the CHAPS at 1000 but it did not show in the recipients bank account for a couple of hours.

I will ask about whether he'll accept a banker's draft - that sounds like a good minimum risk solution for both parties. Thanks!

You'd make a good Northerner, lass.

I am truly honoured by this.

I will ask about whether he'll accept a banker's draft - that sounds like a good minimum risk solution for both parties. Thanks!

I think banks charge for a banker's draft, so muight be worth checking with your bank. A direct transfer would probably be free.

Can you do a transfer by online banking (on a bank holiday)? I have paid money to my childrens' bank accounts (different banks) over weekends and the money has appeared at the other end within minutes. Not for sums of £20k though.

Banks do charge for a bankers draft but it is secure for the seller and the buyer. Bank to bank transfers via the internet are possible (but I think there is a limit to the value) but this does not provide security to buyer or seller as (1) the seller does not know if they have the money until it arrives in their account and might be reluctant to release the "keys" until such time as the money is in and (2) the seller has to make the payment before he has control of the boat so the seller could do a runner. An alternative to an internet based bank to bank transfer is a CHAPS payment and the banks will charge for this. However the risks are the same as any other bank to bank transfer. Bank to bank type transfers are fine when working though an intermediary with an escrow account (like a broker).

To me a bankers draft is the only way to create a secure transaction.

Edited by Traveller

This may disappoint or cause some controversy, but I've gone for the Harborough Marine. Old fashioned and dull though it may be on the inside (pictures definitely make it look more dull than it actually is), it's structurally solid (hull survey says so!) and drives very nicely and has a lot of key qualities I was after.

I'm excited! Especially about cruising it down from Derby!

1st of all, Congratulations jhoff, sounds very exciting.

Question, what bit of paper actually states that a boat belongs to a specific person? What ever it is I think I'd prefer to sit in a bank with the seller and a bank clerk and hand it over/sign etc as the transfer is done. It seems more like a civil ceremony to me.

My boat purchasing plans aren't as urgent now. I got the job near Chester but the likelyhood is I'll only have to be in the office one day a week, making it commutable on an occasional basis.

Still I did like the look of Barkley.......

1st of all, Congratulations jhoff, sounds very exciting.

Question, what bit of paper actually states that a boat belongs to a specific person? What ever it is I think I'd prefer to sit in a bank with the seller and a bank clerk and hand it over/sign etc as the transfer is done. It seems more like a civil ceremony to me.

My boat purchasing plans aren't as urgent now. I got the job near Chester but the likelyhood is I'll only have to be in the office one day a week, making it commutable on an occasional basis.

Still I did like the look of Barkley.......

The exact answer to your question is: There is not (normally) a document that proves ownership of a boat, (i.e. - nothing like a vehicle's registration document, for example).

It is essential, when buying a boat that you look at the sellers paperwork - they may have a receipt from when they bought it, they should have licence renewal/bsc documents/mooring agreements/receipts for past spares purchases - - all in their name.

IF they haven't - - be extremely cautious!