Coventry Basin - Hire base proposal?

OldGoldy

Featured Posts

I have just heard a rumour that some sort of application has been made to use Coventry Basin as a base for 10 hire boats.

The 'story' goes that local clubs and businesses have been approached for their thoughts and the process for objections is to close in the next few days.

Apparently, this has the blessing of CaRT and the City Council, but the hire operator, if true has not been named.

I cannot find anything in any communication or on any website, nor can I access the planning applications on the City's website, to check that option.(Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at planning.coventry.gov.uk.)

Has anyone heard anything along these lines?

bit late, a company has now moved in...

http://www.valleycruises.co.uk/

Well, it seems it's already happened.

I knew there'd be an answer on here, maybe the originator on this 'rumour' was left out of the 'loop'!

Thanks, folks!

Edited by OldGoldy

Have they left Springwood? I've no idea, but they also have a base at Western Road Wharf at the bottom end of the southern Stratford. In these recessive times, I'm surprised at the expansion, if that's what it is.

Gareth, Valley are not in Harborough Basin...aren't they what used to be Canal time?

Cheers

Dave

You are right Dave....they are now owned by alvechurch...and have some alvechurch hire boats as well as the ex canal times......I was more meaning that once a hire fleet move into somewhere they seem to take over to the detriment of other boaters who can no longer moor there even overnight!

I agree that Coventry basin was under used but I'm not sure filling it with hire boats is an improvement.....time will tell I guess...might make any more rallies like the steam boat one a bit of a non starter.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

This will be their third base in 15 years.

We have picked up boats from the previous two bases. You are right they now have a base at Stratford but I think that they may have changed hands in the last few years.

Sorry, crossed posts!

Edited by Dyertribe

Well, I'm in two minds. The trust which was supposed to manage and oversee the basin is a deeply moribund thing. The shopping experience has never really happened, although nightclubs seem to come and go and the offices are occupied. What is good about the basin is that it's open and accessible and with an energetic management and some fresher ideas it might've been an asset to the city. It is a lovely mooring in a much-underated city. Moreover, regular boat traffic can only enhance the 5½ miles which I think we all agree is a good thing and well worth the journey.

My fear is that there will be an end to visitor moorings which will also mean that all the boat traffic will be out of the city without encouraging folk to visit the city itself. I'm not sure how many boats could be stored at the Y end as space is needed for all boats to wind, meaning that hire boats might need to be moored allong the towpath. I'm also inclined to think that the open nature of the basin complete with the buildings will be lost as I cannot imagine that a hire company would be pleased to keep the boats moored in the open for the denizens of the benches to wander over. Does this mean that the basin would need to be fenced and locked?

On the whole, I would be pleased to see the basin used but not if it's at the expense of public access. The basin was restored as an asset to the city and the canal with commercial interests to support that. Could this be a step too far? I don't know.

Ray, do you fancy meeting up one evening, early and going for a looksee? I'll have a dig around and see what I can find out too.

Edited by wrigglefingers

Right, brain is in full conspiracy mode here. Eight to ten boats is exactly the number that would fit into Swan Lane Wharf. I'd wager the deal is for temporary moorings at the Basin. That Clubline boathouse with the two covered wetdocks must look awfully attractive to a hireboat operator ...

Okay, trying not to think that thought and really off to do some digging about.

Their web site lists 8boatsasbeingbased at Coventry Basin, with another 8 at Valley Wharf in Stratford on Avon. I also hope they are not going to make it impossible for visitors to moor in the basin. It was a great place to moor when we were there but a bit crowded with 4 other boats. Unless they have opened the bit cut off by the swing bridge1

I also hope they are not going to make it impossible for visitors to moor in the basin. It was a great place to moor when we were there but a bit crowded with 4 other boats. Unless they have opened the bit cut off by the swing bridge.

DSCF1297_zps344a2ac9.jpg

You can get about thirty boats in the basin if you don't mind breasting uplaugh.png.

...if they open the other swingbridge yes....

Not sure this is a good move, it doesn't take many boats to fill up normally and the canoe/kayak club do a lot of practice in the basin. It is a major destination for the Rugby based weekender ie (stag/hen/birthday) boaters.

A big worry for me too.

I love the Coventry Basin as a place to visit the City and catch up with my family in the area. On the one hand I'm thinking great, lots of trade for the businesses that are struggling there, but that won't happen will it? When we went on hire holidays we were keen to ger the boat moving straight away and put as many miles as we could between the hire base and out route as possible. When we returned to the hire base it was always at the last possible moment, and then we were in our car on our way home.

I wonder what brought about the end of their very long association with Springwood Haven.

Could be anything from the very tight marina entrance to the awful approach road which they felt they had to apologise for.

On the one hand I'm thinking great, lots of trade for the businesses that are struggling there, but that won't happen will it? When we went on hire holidays we were keen to ger the boat moving straight away and put as many miles as we could between the hire base and out route as possible. When we returned to the hire base it was always at the last possible moment, and then we were in our car on our way home.

You make a good point. However, it seems that most hirers like to spent the last night half-an-hour or so away from base -- that's certainly what we used to do. But I can't imagine that many will want to moor anywhere between Hawkesbury and Coventry. So maybe they'll return to the basin and spend the last night in Coventry instead.